Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old May 23 2013, 05:09 PM   #31
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Belz... wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I think what is meant is that he/she prefers Trek that offers something to think about and maybe doesn't have to spell everything out.
Well in that respect Into Darkness did something right, I think, because there's a lot of non-spoken plot points that we keep debating because they were either cut from the movie or left out because it was deemed it wasn't necessary to do exposition on them.
No, I think they're referring to something more than that. I think they mean something with a message or asks questions.
Old May 23 2013, 05:11 PM   #32
Belz...
Fleet Captain

No, I think they're referring to something more than that. I think they mean something with a message or asks questions.
Bah. I hate it when Star Trek does that. If I want social commentaries I'll watch the Daily Show. I watch fiction to be entertained. YMMV.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old May 23 2013, 05:12 PM   #33
mos6507
Captain

RXTT wrote: View Post
What I want from Star Trek is to be forced to THINK. I can get entertainment from the Hangover franchise, or Star Wars
When's the last time Star Trek forced you to THINK ?

Really ? Not much of that in TOS or the previous movies. And the other series were mostly entertainment. Did you mean that you want smart or well-made science-fiction ? Then sure.

But force you to think ? I don't remember Star Trek doing that for me.
Do we always have to keep going down the same rhetorical path? We're going to start deconstructing classic Trek yet again to bring it down to JJ Trek's level?

Trek may not be THE most cerebral entertainment, but it's hard to argue that JJ Trek has any cerebral qualities whatsoever.
Old May 23 2013, 05:13 PM   #34
bbailey861
Admiral

Saved...that's a really big word, but he undoubtedly brought Star Trek back to the forefront to where a younger audience is beginning to take notice again. And I, as part of the older audience, have been really happy with what he's done - with both stories.
Old May 23 2013, 05:14 PM   #35
mos6507
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Obviously Star Trek Into Darkness did something right as it has some conservative bloggers in an uproar over its message.
Considering how easy it is for conservatives to feel outrage, that's not saying much.
Old May 23 2013, 05:15 PM   #36
Warped9
Admiral

Bah. I hate it when Star Trek does that. If I want social commentaries I'll watch the Daily Show. I watch fiction to be entertained. YMMV.
Entertainment and social commentary are not mutually exclusive. You can have both and enjoy it. It can be done in drama/adventure as easily as comedy.
Old May 23 2013, 05:15 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

mos6507 wrote: View Post

Do we always have to keep going down the same rhetorical path? We're going to start deconstructing classic Trek yet again to bring it down to JJ Trek's level?
How is acknowledging what Trek has always been "bringing it down"? Honestly, if people didn't keep trying to compare Abrams movies to the rest of the franchise (with the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses on), the comparisons would likely stop.
Old May 23 2013, 05:18 PM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

How is acknowledging what Trek has always been "bringing it down"? Honestly, if people didn't keep trying to compare Abrams movies to the rest of the franchise (with the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses on), the comparisons would likely stop.
In fairness when you label something with a familiar name then comparisons are inevitable.

Every time there's a new version of 007 or Superman (or whatever) it's always compared with previous versions.
Old May 23 2013, 05:22 PM   #39
BillJ
Admiral

In fairness when you label something with a familiar name then comparisons are inevitable.

Every time there's a new version of 007 or Superman (or whatever) it's always compared with previous versions.
Of course. But before you make those comparisons, take off the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. I don't know how many times I've watched someone scream about how something Abrams did "wasn't Star Trek", yet had been done multiple times before in other Trek series including TOS.
Old May 23 2013, 05:24 PM   #40
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

In the sense that now Trek has a future in the movies, whereas before Abrams it was dead, the answer is yes.
Old May 23 2013, 05:26 PM   #41
Warped9
Admiral

Of course. But before you make those comparisons, take off the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. I don't know how many times I've watched someone scream about how something Abrams did "wasn't Star Trek", yet had been done multiple times before in other Trek series including TOS.
When it comes to entertainment today the "rose tinted glasses" argument doesn't have the weight it once had for the simple reason is that today you can see the earlier versions right away in the here-and-now right alongside the new and not have to rely solely on memory.
Old May 23 2013, 05:27 PM   #42
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RXTT wrote: View Post
What I want from Star Trek is to be forced to THINK. I can get entertainment from the Hangover franchise, or Star Wars
When's the last time Star Trek forced you to THINK ?

Really ? Not much of that in TOS or the previous movies. And the other series were mostly entertainment. Did you mean that you want smart or well-made science-fiction ? Then sure.

But force you to think ? I don't remember Star Trek doing that for me.

Trek may not be THE most cerebral entertainment, but it's hard to argue that JJ Trek has any cerebral qualities whatsoever.
That's because people keep making these sweeping statements that invariably compare the new movies to some pure, platonic ideal of STAR TREK that never really existed.

"Star Trek was about real science!"

"Star Trek was non-violent!"

"Star Trek never catered to general audiences!"

"Star Trek never stooped to sex and titillation!"

Such grandiose overstatements invariably cry out for a reality check . . . .
Old May 23 2013, 05:30 PM   #43
Warped9
Admiral

One of the strengths of Star Trek was that it could be many things and work on multiple levels simultaneously and not rely on being solely one thing. The best stories often worked on multiple levels.
Old May 23 2013, 05:33 PM   #44
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
In the sense that now Trek has a future in the movies, whereas before Abrams it was dead, the answer is yes.
And really, that's the only answer. That was the sole reason Paramount went after and hired Abrams. Paramount couldn't care less about any other aspect of the franchise (TV, merchandising, etc.,) because they're not involved in that.
Old May 23 2013, 05:34 PM   #45
BillJ
Admiral

One of the strengths of Star Trek was that it could be many things and work on multiple levels simultaneously and not rely on being solely one thing. The best stories often worked on multiple levels.
And I happen to think that Star Trek Into Darkness works on those same levels. It is the most Trek-like thing I've watched since Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.