Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old May 25 2013, 01:41 PM   #211
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Now show me on that doll where that naughty JJ Abrams touched your Star Trek?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old May 25 2013, 01:43 PM   #212
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Now show me on that doll where that naughty JJ Abrams touched your Star Trek?
Old May 25 2013, 01:46 PM   #213
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Let it go. Or get someone who has stories to tell, not retread pastiche. These movies remind me of those oldies greatest hits concerts on public television. Now . . . a tribble! Now . . . the engine room death scene!

I'm surprised by some of the people here I respect who are wowed or blinded by the fact that there is Product called Trek again in the theaters. It is Transformers 2 in spaceships and Trek names. What does it profiteth you if you gain all the ticket sales in the world and lose your soul?

Let it go.
Old May 25 2013, 01:53 PM   #214
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Well, you know that's like, your opinion, man.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old May 25 2013, 02:10 PM   #215
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
Let it go. Or get someone who has stories to tell, not retread pastiche. These movies remind me of those oldies greatest hits concerts on public television. Now . . . a tribble! Now . . . the engine room death scene!

I'm surprised by some of the people here I respect who are wowed or blinded by the fact that there is Product called Trek again in the theaters. It is Transformers 2 in spaceships and Trek names. What does it profiteth you if you gain all the ticket sales in the world and lose your soul?

Let it go.
Let what go? My soul? My enjoyment? Star Trek?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old May 25 2013, 02:49 PM   #216
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
"Studio heads are disappointed," and "some people claim studio heads are/should be disappointed" are two wildly different statements.

I have heard nothing about the Paramount studio execs being disappointed.
Here's another qoute;http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_arti...article=103783

Worldwide figures are predicted to have reached over $164.5 million for the J.J. Abrams film, although studio executives are said to be disappointed by the figures. The production budget rang in at $190 million.
Wikipedia also makes the claim:

Paramount was disappointed with this as, although the film was number one at the box office, it failed to reach their expectations of an opening weekend north of $100 million.[96] To date, the film has earned $189.3 million worldwide.[5]
They're claiming studio execs themselves are disappointed though it is hard to swallow with 70 million in the US so far.

This is common with big budget movies now. That's why I see the danger in 'blockbusters' in that no matter how much money they make, it's not enough.

Then you eventually get corporate meddling.

There is a huge difference in Abram's style and the television style. You don't see any real cerebral stuff in I.T.D or even the 2009 movie.

It's all action, little "science fiction", but it works money wise.
Old May 25 2013, 02:53 PM   #217
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

stj wrote: View Post

Being forgotten? No, people remembering Star Trek became a world phenomenon before Abrams congratulated himself on being too cool to watch.
When Star Trek became popular: there was no 500-channel universe, no internet, no video-games, not much in the way of "adult" sci-fi. Star Trek had little competition. In this day and age, it would've quickly became an entertainment footnote.

And if anyone would actually watch the special features available on the Blu-ray edition they would understand exactly how much Abrams respected the material he was working with. But that would be too much effort and would contradict the nerdrage regarding Abrams.
Old May 25 2013, 03:08 PM   #218
stj
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Being forgotten? No, people remembering Star Trek became a world phenomenon before Abrams congratulated himself on being too cool to watch.
When Star Trek became popular: there was no 500-channel universe, no internet, no video-games, not much in the way of "adult" sci-fi. Star Trek had little competition. In this day and age, it would've quickly became an entertainment footnote.

And if anyone would actually watch the special features available on the Blu-ray edition they would understand exactly how much Abrams respected the material he was working with. But that would be too much effort and would contradict the nerdrage regarding Abrams.
You don't actually have the power to assign me homework on the Blu-ray edition. Even more to the point, nobody should have to do the homework. We all know what it took to avoid seeing Star Trek at some point, which was to turn your nose up at it. And we all know what motivated that. If your point was that Abrams is cool and Star Trek fans are nerds, posting on another bbs would be a good idea.

When Star Trek became a phenomenon, it was in spite of the obstacles, not because of them. Your point about accessibility today is really rather twisted reasoning.

Whether Abrams' movies are ever going to more than a footnote remains to be seen. You are way premature there.
Old May 25 2013, 03:19 PM   #219
Belz...
Fleet Captain

When Star Trek became a phenomenon, it was in spite of the obstacles, not because of them. Your point about accessibility today is really rather twisted reasoning.
You forget that we're talking about periods 40+ years apart.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old May 25 2013, 03:20 PM   #220
BillJ
Admiral

If your point was that Abrams is cool and Star Trek fans are nerds, posting on another bbs would be a good idea.
My point being, you can dislike the new movies without denigrating the man behind them. Roddenberry and Berman and others made questionable choices over the years when it came to storytelling as well.

Abrams personal likes or dislikes have nothing to do with his ability to make a Star Trek movie. People use his "I was never a fan of Star Trek" comment as a reason to dismiss the movies he makes. And if one was to watch the special features, they would realize that quote was part of Abrams much larger views of Star Trek.

Truth hurts. Star Trek (as much as I love it) would've never became a cultural icon if it didn't have the playing field to itself for much of the 70's and 80's.
Old May 25 2013, 03:44 PM   #221
stj
Rear Admiral

First the observation about Abrams wasn't all that denigrating. Not nearly as nasty as "nerdrage" for example. I don't imagine for a moment the adult Abrams thinks like the adolescent Abrams. Nor can I conceive any way to read the post that way.

Second, there was no "playing field" when Star Trek became popular. You guys are the ones who can't grasp the difference.

Third, it is too soon to attribute staying power to Abrams' offerings.
Old May 25 2013, 03:45 PM   #222
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Star Trek had little competition.
I don't think that's true.

Here's a partial list of science fiction television programs, in first run and in syndication in the US from 1966 up to 1977 (the year Star Wars came out).
Lost in Space
Land of the Giants
The Time Tunnel
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Thunderbirds
Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
UFO
Space: 1999

The Prisoner
The Avengers

Batman

The Six Million Dollar Man
The Bionic Woman
Planet of the Apes
Most everything there was in direct competition with Star Trek in the toy department. I know; I had the toys! There were multiple opportunities to knock Star Trek off the map. Star Trek stood the test of time, because it offered much that no other show did.
Old May 25 2013, 03:57 PM   #223
BillJ
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Star Trek stood the test of time, because it offered much that no other show did.
I acknowledged that it was the first "adult" sci-fi. But it floundered in first run and had little in the way of "adult" competition.

Star Trek was special (I loved it in 1975, I still love it today), but it was easy to stand-out when you look at the competition.
Old May 25 2013, 04:09 PM   #224
Warped9
Admiral

I've seen those specials on the disc. I certainly didn't get any impression of genuine respect, particularly when he flat out says he felt Trek should be more like Star Wars.

Then I certainly didn't see much of any respect manifest onscreen either.

And for him to say Star Trek was too philosophical, well too bad. That's part of its identity.

Star Trek would have been forgotten without the Abrams' films? Hardly, particularly since the last incarnations weren't in the far past and with reruns galore still available. Also given that Hollywood likes to resurrect things many if not most hardly remember or even knew existed.

Last edited by Warped9; May 25 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old May 25 2013, 04:18 PM   #225
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Star Trek stood the test of time, because it offered much that no other show did.
I acknowledged that it was the first "adult" sci-fi. But it floundered in first run and had little in the way of "adult" competition.

At the risking of going off on a tangent, I'd argue that "The Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits" were probably the first adult scifi shows. But, yes, "Trek" was definitely more adult than the Irwin Allen stuff, while still having plenty of kid appeal as well. (Monsters! Space ships! Transporter beams!)

Which raises an interesting question: Has anyone ever gotten hooked on Trek as an adult . . . or did we all discover it as kids first?

(I know I was only seven when I was first entranced by the Salt Vampire . . . .)