Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 9 2014, 06:56 PM   #556
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Set Harth wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
If Montelban had to announce his name like Cumbers, he'd probably have added a foot stomp and arm wave. His Khan was as low-key as a giraffe in a classroom.
KIRK: James Kirk, commanding the starship Enterprise.
KHAN: I see.
KIRK: And your name?
KHAN: I have a few questions first. What is your heading?
KIRK: Our heading is Starbase Twelve, a planet in the Gamma 400 star system. Our command base in this sector. Is that of any use to you?
KHAN: And my people?
KIRK: Seventy two of your life-support canisters are still functioning.
KHAN: You will revive them.
KIRK: As soon as we reach Starbase Twelve.
KHAN: I see.
KIRK: And now -
KHAN: Khan is my name.
KIRK: Khan. Nothing else?
KHAN: Khan.
Ah, but he wasn't in a Hannibal Lecter glass prison cell in "Space Seed", but a bed in sickbay.

One does not simply speak normally when one is in a Hannibal Lecter glass prison cell
Old January 9 2014, 08:13 PM   #557
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

*thump*

Goddamnit, who moved that goalpost there?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 10:00 PM   #558
WarpFactorZ
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
*thump*

I think it got re-scaled with the shuttle bay...
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 11:50 PM   #559
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

*thump*

One was a big reveal, the other just a name given while laying in bed. In ID Khan wants them to know who he really is, in SS he was keeping a low profile.
Old January 12 2014, 12:27 AM   #560
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I wish they'd just rebooted Trek without apology instead of doing the half-assed geek reassuring branched timeline crap.
Yup. The idea of the reboot was for the franchise to untangle itself from 28 seasons of continuity, but by making the reboot take place in a divergent timeline the chains of continuity are still restricting the reboot. Into Darkness was forced to give an explanation as to why Khan was found earlier in this timeline which shouldn't be needed in a reboot.

I'm hopeful that the third film will have some major events happen that will completely fuck up the timeline. Destroying Vulcan was a good first step, but it's not quite enough.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 11:55 PM   #561
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Good I'm not the only one who noticed that. He was literally chewing the scenery.
Pretty much, yeah.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 02:05 AM   #562
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I'm hopeful that the third film will have some major events happen that will completely fuck up the timeline.
Killing Kirk permanently?
Old January 13 2014, 03:29 AM   #563
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I'm hopeful that the third film will have some major events happen that will completely fuck up the timeline.
Killing Kirk permanently?
That would be one way, yes.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 03:36 AM   #564
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

The destruction of Earth would be another good one - but, like killing Kirk for real, I think we can all agree that it just ain't gonna happen.

Gotta have someplace for everyone to run back to at the end of the film, after all.
Old January 14 2014, 08:17 AM   #565
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I don't think using Khan so soon was necessarily a bad thing, I just don't think that Cumberbatch was the best choice for the role. I felt he way overacted many of the scenes, particularly in the brig, where his mouth movements seemed distractingly over-exaggerated while delivering his lines. Don't get me wrong - I think he's generally a really good actor - just miscast as Khan. If the early rumors about using Benicio del Toro were true, I think he would have been a much better Khan, provided he didn't have whatever that other project was that he was working on.
Yes, and Ricardo Montalban playing Khan was the height of subtlety. Seriously, he and Shatner were in a "lets see who can overact the most" contest all throughout that movie. Cumberbatch was fantastic, as was Montalban. I'll see your facial ticks and raise you an evilgasm.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 12:46 PM   #566
Smellmet
Commander

Evilgasm! Haha that really made me laugh!
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 09:28 AM   #567
JD5000
Commander

I don't think that killing off a major character is an unreasonable plot twist - Spock died once. I wouldn't expect it to be Kirk - but that would be the kick in the pants! This board would EXPLODE as well as the brains of Trekkies all over the world. If there's a chance there may not be a Star Trek (X)IV, producers may go big and deal with it later if necessary.

Please, no Borg. If you take the Destiny books into account, I think some important things were going on with them at this time and it would be interesting to see a big-screen rep of those events - but not the time or place.

Klingons - Logical choice, I love em, but I don't expect Abrams and Co to take the obvious track. I do expect them to be a big part of the next film in some way, regardless of the plot choice. They HAVE to. Klingons ARE Star Trek.

The Gorn and Tholians make more sense to me as potential Starfleet adversaries in a new film. You can do some great stuff with effects these days that would really bring visual life to these species, and they are ambiguously represented enough in canon that writers could have a blast with characters from those races. Inter-species tension is a huge theme in Star Trek, no matter what series, and I would like to see Starfleet take on the galaxy rather than individuals specifically (such as Nero or Khan). People seem to want to see a variety of TOS-era races - a theme of interstellar diplomatic tension would grant this wish and has a lot of potential for a dramatic, action-filled storyline.

I stopped reading up on this thread on the 14th page, so if I'm just restating anyone else's thoughts, I apologize.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 03:54 PM   #568
Romulan_spy
Commodore

I'm hoping the next movie gets away from the "big bad villain with super duper bad ass starship threatens Earth" plot that we've seen now for the past few movies. It's getting repetitive at this point. Instead, I'd like to see a movie that features real exploration and strange new civilizations.
Romulan_spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 04:19 PM   #569
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Indeed - it's been a formula staple throughout Trek movies from the beginning, although sometimes without an actual villain.
  • The Motion Picture - V'Ger, a massively large vessel, built by living computers and digitizes ships and whole worlds down to the molecular level threatens Earth with enormous planet bombs.
  • The Voyage Home - Massively large probe disables vessels of all kinds and threatens Earth using climatic disasters.
  • First Contact - Borg Attack on Earth with a cube bigger than all defending Federation starships combined, led by a newly-created Borg Queen. (note this is the first instance of an actual humanoid villain associated with a large ship attack on Earth)
  • Insurrection - Not so much an attack on Earth, but here we have a main villain (several actually), flying ships a lot bigger and potentially more powerful than the Enterprise.
  • Nemesis - Shinzon and his fanboy Scimitar with a copious supply of thalaron radiation that could wipe out a whole planet (Earth) in a matter of seconds and a jillion disruptor and torpedo launchers.
  • NuTrek1 - Nero and his fanboy Narada with his "mining drill", planet-sucking "red matter" and a jillion-and-one Borg-enhanced weapons. Destroyed Vulcan and planned to do the same to Earth.
  • NuTrek2 - Khan & Admiral Marcus and their uber-fanboy USS Vengeance. God only knows how many weapons that thing had. Not so much a direct threat to Earth, but the resulting war Marcus and Section 31 were trying to initiate with the Klingons using Kirk as a catspaw would have become a problem for Earth eventually.
Not too bad in the early days, especially when there was no "real villain" to over-do the threat to the protagonists with a super-weapon, but it has lately gotten a bit old.
Old January 16 2014, 07:17 PM   #570
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

There is no chance that they would use Khan again in the next film. That would be ridiculous. They just showed him asleep at the end to suggest he could still be a part of Trek in the future but I doubt we'd see him again in the Abrams franchise.

The next film will be an original story but it may involve the Klingons aswell as Abrams has been indicating that Klingons are posing a threat, I think they will feature in the next film. The Enterprise has taken quite a beating in the last two films in the next film would like to see it dishing out some beatings of its own.

How about this for a scene in the next film:

The Enterprise responds to a distress call from a planet. The Klingons are on the surface and attacking the inhabitants. Kirk wants to lead the away team but Spock politely reminds him that its too dangerous for him and his place is on the bridge. For once Kirk agrees to stay and lets Spock take the landing team (showing Kirk has become more mature and listening to rules now).

After a few minutes, Spock contacts the ship to tell them they have come under heavy fire from the Klingons and they are pinned down and that two officers are already dead. Kirk tells the bridge crew that he cant stand by any longer and proceeds to beam down. Sulu points out that he should stay behind but Kirk tells him that he cant do nothing while his people are in danger. (This shows his care for the crew). Kirk takes another crewmember down with him. Ensign Evans (Yes this is Charlie Evans) in this universe he's a Starfleet officer and a new addition to the Enterprise, he hasn't got any mental powers yet). He would be played by a young handsome actor and would flirt with Carol Marcus to Kirk's jealousy. Kirk and Charlie would charge their phasers as they prepare to beam down to the surface. Sulu is commanding the bridge while Chekov reports that he's picking up strange readings just as a massive ship decloaks in front of them. Chekov reports that it's a Klingon battle cruiser. "My god!" says Sulu and tells Chekov its time to find out what the new enhanced weapons can really do. It would then cut to a massive space battle between the Enterprise and a powerful Klingon battle cruiser whilst on the surface Kirk, Spock and others take on the Klingons in phaser fire and hand to hand combat.

It would be good to introduce some new alien species and another clever idea would be that a side affect of Kirk being revived through Khans blood would have enhanced his physical strength proving him able to physically compete with Klingons. Not sure if this would be permanent though. Also Kirk is still trying to romance Carol while competing with Charlie but then Kirk also meets a woman belonging to the new species they encounter.

Charlie may or may not become evil in this film but he may encounter aliens in this film which give him new powers which will corrupt him and make him evil for the next film.

What do people think of these ideas??
dan_bevan is offline   Reply With Quote