Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 6 2014, 11:50 AM   #541
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Yes, Old Spock is awesome, but we've had plenty of films with him in them.

That being said, I'd also have settled for the ship that's destroyed in the opening of ST XI being the original, TOS-era Enterprise (with Robert April in command). That's what was supposed to happen, but Abrams was ordered to remove it because TPTB would not under any circumstances allow him to destroy an Enterprise. So he had to change it to the Kelvin, and April became Robau.
You would give up Spock Prime AND THE ROBAU??!?!!
M'Sharak wrote:
If the part about Robert April commanding was ever anything more than rumor or fan speculation, I don't know what its source might be.
I suspect it's fan speculation based on April being George Kirk's BFF in the novels Final Frontier and Best Destiny, which the writers cited as their source for Kirk's father's name and occupation.
Old January 7 2014, 01:23 AM   #542
urbandefault
Captain

I like the idea put forth in another thread about starting the film with the end of "Deadly Years." We get Shatner and Nimoy on the bridge, and Urban/McCoy rushes in and shoots them up with the magic serum to turn them back into Pine and Quinto.

After that, I'd like to see them warp off to fight the Klingons who are raiding border colonies. Insert space battles, hand to hand combat on some weird backward planet, Kirk about to pull a ridiculous victory out of his butt, when suddenly ... wait for it ...

Organians.

That's the film I want to see.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 03:02 AM   #543
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Outside of the Borg, I'm content to allow the 24th century species to remain in the 24th century.
So no Ba'ku then?
Old January 8 2014, 10:44 AM   #544
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

urbandefault wrote: View Post
I like the idea put forth in another thread about starting the film with the end of "Deadly Years." We get Shatner and Nimoy on the bridge, and Urban/McCoy rushes in and shoots them up with the magic serum to turn them back into Pine and Quinto.

After that, I'd like to see them warp off to fight the Klingons who are raiding border colonies. Insert space battles, hand to hand combat on some weird backward planet, Kirk about to pull a ridiculous victory out of his butt, when suddenly ... wait for it ...

Organians.

That's the film I want to see.
Cool!
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 02:39 PM   #545
jonboysmaddness
Cadet

I think that going back to Khan to soon would be a mistake! There is a whole new time line now that gives jj the option for totally new villains etc, mind you, the borg do rock!!
jonboysmaddness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 03:45 PM   #546
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I don't think using Khan so soon was necessarily a bad thing, I just don't think that Cumberbatch was the best choice for the role. I felt he way overacted many of the scenes, particularly in the brig, where his mouth movements seemed distractingly over-exaggerated while delivering his lines. Don't get me wrong - I think he's generally a really good actor - just miscast as Khan. If the early rumors about using Benicio del Toro were true, I think he would have been a much better Khan, provided he didn't have whatever that other project was that he was working on.
Old January 8 2014, 03:48 PM   #547
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I don't think using Khan so soon was necessarily a bad thing, I just don't think that Cumberbatch was the best choice for the role. I felt he way overacted many of the scenes, particularly in the brig, where his mouth movements seemed distractingly over-exaggerated while delivering his lines.
Good I'm not the only one who noticed that. He was literally chewing the scenery.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 08:35 PM   #548
Smellmet
Commander

I still thought he was excellent and very watchable, and every time he was on screen had me on edge in anticipation. I agree though - he didn't seem like Khan, more like one of the other augments maybe. Still loved the film though and cant wait for the next one
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 11:57 PM   #549
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I felt he way overacted many of the scenes, particularly in the brig, where his mouth movements seemed distractingly over-exaggerated while delivering his lines.
Yeah, I felt the same way - he spits out his name as if it's an obscenity. I thought Original Khan would have said it differently. More matter-of-factly.

If the early rumors about using Benicio del Toro were true, I think he would have been a much better Khan, provided he didn't have whatever that other project was that he was working on.
I think the other project was an indie film called I Don't Want To Be Khan.
Old January 9 2014, 04:51 AM   #550
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I thought Original Khan would have said it differently. More matter-of-factly.
He didn't have to. With a bit of clever writing in TWOK, Chekov and Kirk both spoke his name for him. Of course, that's not possible when no one knows who Khan is in Alternate Trek. And so I agree that Cumberbatch's "Kahn" line was exaggerated, or to be redundant - over-exaggerated. But I would give responsibility to the clueless directing there - not the actor. It obviously was solely for audience effect and not so much character-driven at that moment. That's what made it laughable. If you listen real hard you can hear crickets. All the secrecy for that one line...
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 08:33 AM   #551
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

If Montelban had to announce his name like Cumbers, he'd probably have added a foot stomp and arm wave. His Khan was as low-key as a giraffe in a classroom.
Old January 9 2014, 11:19 AM   #552
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

what i would like to see in the third movie.
1. Klingon - Federation War.
2. Kirk and Carol Romance
3. Like to see if Cupcake lived or died since he was never seen again after the crew attacked the klingons on Kronos.
4. The Film either taking place in the very middle of the 5-year mission (like either year 3 or 4).
5. Have the Prologue have the crew either dealing with an Original mission (like Nibiru) or have it be a mission from the original series.
6. Have the ending of this movie set up the next one where the team gets a hail from the "Constellation" and they end with the enterprise warping out like they did Into Darkness which leads into the prologue of the fourth movie being a version of the doomsday machine.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 11:35 AM   #553
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

speaking of prologues i found this on tumblr and it made me laugh so hard because A Piece of the Action (which this teaser is based on) was the very first star trek episode i ever saw.

Last edited by mattman8907; January 9 2014 at 11:46 AM.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 05:02 PM   #554
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
If Montelban had to announce his name like Cumbers, he'd probably have added a foot stomp and arm wave. His Khan was as low-key as a giraffe in a classroom.
KIRK: James Kirk, commanding the starship Enterprise.
KHAN: I see.
KIRK: And your name?
KHAN: I have a few questions first. What is your heading?
KIRK: Our heading is Starbase Twelve, a planet in the Gamma 400 star system. Our command base in this sector. Is that of any use to you?
KHAN: And my people?
KIRK: Seventy two of your life-support canisters are still functioning.
KHAN: You will revive them.
KIRK: As soon as we reach Starbase Twelve.
KHAN: I see.
KIRK: And now -
KHAN: Khan is my name.
KIRK: Khan. Nothing else?
KHAN: Khan.
Old January 9 2014, 05:42 PM   #555
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Exactly as it should have been.