Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 5 2014, 05:38 PM   #526
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Old Spock is awesome. Your arguments are invalid
Old January 5 2014, 07:46 PM   #527
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

^ Yes, Old Spock is awesome, but we've had plenty of films with him in them.

That being said, I'd also have settled for the ship that's destroyed in the opening of ST XI being the original, TOS-era Enterprise (with Robert April in command). That's what was supposed to happen, but Abrams was ordered to remove it because TPTB would not under any circumstances allow him to destroy an Enterprise. So he had to change it to the Kelvin, and April became Robau.
Old January 5 2014, 07:52 PM   #528
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
That being said, I'd also have settled for the ship that's destroyed in the opening of ST XI being the original, TOS-era Enterprise (with Robert April in command). That's what was supposed to happen, but Abrams was ordered to remove it because TPTB would not under any circumstances allow him to destroy an Enterprise. So he had to change it to the Kelvin.
That's the first I've heard of this. Do you have a link?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_...ing_the_Kelvin says only this:

In early stages of the film's development, the ship was named the USS Iowa. [4] While known by this eventually unused name, the vessel was given a registry number of 1201. [5] In a later interview with screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, Kurtzman explained that the ship's initial name was to have been "our nod" to the fact that the prime universe James T. Kirk had been semi-established as having been born in Iowa. "Then we decided that was too radical," Kurtzman said of the reference. Technically statements in Star Trek IV stated that Kirk was from Iowa and only worked in outer-space (indicating he was not born there).
Old January 5 2014, 08:23 PM   #529
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
That being said, I'd also have settled for the ship that's destroyed in the opening of ST XI being the original, TOS-era Enterprise (with Robert April in command). That's what was supposed to happen, but Abrams was ordered to remove it because TPTB would not under any circumstances allow him to destroy an Enterprise. So he had to change it to the Kelvin.

In early stages of the film's development, the ship was named the USS Iowa. [4] While known by this eventually unused name, the vessel was given a registry number of 1201. [5] In a later interview with screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, Kurtzman explained that the ship's initial name was to have been "our nod" to the fact that the prime universe James T. Kirk had been semi-established as having been born in Iowa. "Then we decided that was too radical," Kurtzman said of the reference. Technically statements in Star Trek IV stated that Kirk was from Iowa and only worked in outer-space (indicating he was not born there).
The part about destroying the Enterprise came from this 2009 Newsarama interview, if I'm not mistaken:
NRAMA: The script took six to eight months to bang out so what other ideas did you bandy around?

Kurtzman: There was no other macro idea. We knew we wanted to do an origin story with Spock Prime coming back. Obviously, details within the story changed wildly. We had a draft with Carol Marcus meeting Kirk as a child and goes on to be the mother of his son. We had Nurse Chapel have a potentially budding romance with Spock that we explored. At one point, we were bandying around the idea of destroying the Enterprise mid-battle.

Orci: That was actually the only time the studio even put the brakes on us. “Please don’t destroy the Enterprise.” We said “Okay, you’re right. Vulcan fine. Enterprise no.” There were a few million things like that along the way.
If the part about Robert April commanding was ever anything more than rumor or fan speculation, I don't know what its source might be.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 08:38 PM   #530
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

I would like to see the next film dealing with the cardassians maybe in the Film the federation and cardassians become allies and friends unlike the prime universe where they dont get on.
Xzpezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 08:57 PM   #531
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

The part about destroying the Enterprise came from this 2009 Newsarama interview, if I'm not mistaken:
NRAMA: The script took six to eight months to bang out so what other ideas did you bandy around?

Kurtzman: There was no other macro idea. We knew we wanted to do an origin story with Spock Prime coming back. Obviously, details within the story changed wildly. We had a draft with Carol Marcus meeting Kirk as a child and goes on to be the mother of his son. We had Nurse Chapel have a potentially budding romance with Spock that we explored. At one point, we were bandying around the idea of destroying the Enterprise mid-battle.

Orci: That was actually the only time the studio even put the brakes on us. Please dont destroy the Enterprise. We said Okay, youre right. Vulcan fine. Enterprise no. There were a few million things like that along the way.
If the part about Robert April commanding was ever anything more than rumor or fan speculation, I don't know what its source might be.
Thanks!

That passage also doesn't seem to imply that the destruction of the Enterprise is what got revised into the Kelvin sequence, either. So, it doesn't contradict the Memory Alpha quote about the Iowa.
Old January 5 2014, 08:59 PM   #532
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Xzpezer wrote: View Post
I would like to see the next film dealing with the cardassians maybe in the Film the federation and cardassians become allies and friends unlike the prime universe where they dont get on.
Outside of the Borg, I'm content to allow the 24th century species to remain in the 24th century.
Old January 5 2014, 09:12 PM   #533
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
Xzpezer wrote: View Post
Outside of the Borg, I'm content to allow the 24th century species to remain in the 24th century.
In this realty the federation and cardasions have already met in star trek 2009 when uhura ordered a cardasion drink.
Xzpezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 09:37 PM   #534
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Inside of the Borg, it's too dark to read.
Old January 5 2014, 10:05 PM   #535
Harvey
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I wish they'd just rebooted Trek without apology instead of doing the half-assed geek reassuring branched timeline crap.
When they reboot again (and they will) they can do this. The alternate timeline business was a bit awkward, but it provided a way for Leonard Nimoy to play Spock in the movie. I think it was worth it for that.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:20 AM   #536
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Has any actual information been revealed about... anything? In ST:XIII?

It's so cool we are getting an ST:XIII

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:24 AM   #537
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Inside of the Borg, it's too dark to read.
Admiral Julius Marx?
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:56 AM   #538
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Admiral Julius Marx?
I couldn't help it.
Old January 6 2014, 02:57 AM   #539
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post

We know that with Directing/Producing/Writing activity, a third movie is definitely on, currently.

We know JJ/Bad Robot are looking for a Director, and Bad Robot will still Hold Producing Credits/Control.

I believe Lindeloff has left the writing staff (And Kurtzman, as well?) and there are two "Up and Coming" hopefuls that will be writing the Script with Orci.

I think that's pretty much what we know so far, though I believe there's been strong rumors of a goal of having a 2016 release date, to coincide with 50th Anniversary.

ETA: Oh, also, they are changing shooting City, expecting to save about $20M, which will be chopped off the Budget (IE: Same practical budget, but, it will cost them $20M less [Savings from changing shooting location])

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; January 6 2014 at 03:25 AM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 03:11 AM   #540
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post

Well, I listened to a podcast the other day with Pegg in it (Richard Herring's Leicester Square theatre Podcast (RHLSTP!), very funny!) where he confirmed there would be a third move and he will be in it, if that helps

^ Yes, Old Spock is awesome, but we've had plenty of films with him in them.

That being said, I'd also have settled for the ship that's destroyed in the opening of ST XI being the original, TOS-era Enterprise (with Robert April in command). That's what was supposed to happen, but Abrams was ordered to remove it because TPTB would not under any circumstances allow him to destroy an Enterprise. So he had to change it to the Kelvin, and April became Robau.
I wish it had happened that way, if only to remove the ugly-arse Kelvin design from canon, pretty much the ONLY design in post 09-Trek that looks terrible imo
(hey, hero ships should have symmetry dammit, not a stupid upside down hull/single nacelle combination!)