RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,346
Posts: 5,354,117
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 474
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 22 2013, 02:52 PM   #406
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Belz... wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
But what happens when you take away the 3D and IMAX inflated prices?
Why do people keep asking that ? Is it part of the money it made or not ?
Yeah--what happens if you take away the "true fan" attendance figures? Huh? Huh??
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 03:34 PM   #407
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
But what happens when you take away the 3D and IMAX inflated prices?
When you are calculating overall gross, you don't.

In USA, STiD is overall the fifth most successful Trek film,
Movies are global these days. STiD didn't even premiere in the US. You shouldn't be so America-centric in your thinking.

STiD made more money than any of Trek movie worldwide. It also did better outside the US than any other Trek movie by far.

I am guessing it will be much lower on the list if the movie was only in 2d.
And when you do statistical analysis, here is where you look at this breakdown of numbers as you suggest.

And what did we learn?

1.) It was a good thing they made STiD an IMAX 3D experience because it did well there, and b.) you can expect the next Trek movie will have even more of it.
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 04:57 PM   #408
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Killerprise wrote: View Post

Who knows, they could squeeze out one more movie before abrams moves on to Star Wars. I remember when Star Trek was so successful that it held the #1 spot for weeks at a time, now it gets #1 during a weekend that no other big budget movie comes out on then promptly loses that spot the following week. It isn't what it used to be.
You do realize that Star Trek Into Darkness has made more money than any other Trek movie? Even adjusted for inflation.

I imagine Paramount will be more than happy to let Bad Robot continue to produce Star Trek movies.

But what happens when you take away the 3D and IMAX inflated prices?

In USA, STiD is overall the fifth most successful Trek film, I am guessing it will be much lower on the list if the movie was only in 2d.
Why on earth would you do that? Are you going to do it for Man of Steel, Iron Man, Pacific Rim…? 3D and IMAX are part of the equation from now on. That's just the way it is.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 06:57 PM   #409
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Badass Digest claims to have a scoop that screenwriters Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz are close to a deal to work on the script for the next movie along with Kurtzman and Orci. They also claim - pinch of salt here, more than a pinch in fact - that J.J. Abrams is on the verge of dropping out of Star Wars, Episode VII, potentially making him available to direct the next Trek. You can read the story here.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 07:02 PM   #410
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Juicy gossip!
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 07:35 PM   #411
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
J.J. Abrams is on the verge of dropping out of Star Wars, Episode VII
Curious. I wonder what that's about. Perhaps the Mouse will not be affording him the freedom and flexibility that he might have enjoyed playing in the Trek sandbox. Curious indeed...
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 08:03 PM   #412
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

BillJ wrote: View Post
Cyrus wrote: View Post
TMP was number 1 for at least the first 4 weeks of its release.
BoxOffice Mojo only had the first three weeks of TMP listed, so you may well be right. But the point stands that only two Trek films spent multiple weeks at number one.
They do show just the first three weeks, all with TMP at #1. If you isolate the third week, you see Kramer vs. Kramer opening and taking the #2 spot, then moving to #1 in the week following. (A different list gives TMP only two weeks in the top spot.)
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 08:11 PM   #413
The Keeper
Commodore
 
The Keeper's Avatar
 
Location: Where reality ends and illusion begins
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
J.J. Abrams is on the verge of dropping out of Star Wars, Episode VII
Curious. I wonder what that's about. Perhaps the Mouse will not be affording him the freedom and flexibility that he might have enjoyed playing in the Trek sandbox. Curious indeed...
Perhaps be he doesn't like the core story or script and changes are verboten.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 08:53 PM   #414
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Badass Digest claims to have a scoop that screenwriters Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz are close to a deal to work on the script for the next movie along with Kurtzman and Orci. They also claim - pinch of salt here, more than a pinch in fact - that J.J. Abrams is on the verge of dropping out of Star Wars, Episode VII, potentially making him available to direct the next Trek. You can read the story here.
It's Badass Digest, so taking with a truckload of salt.
DevinF wrote:
Keep in mind this isn't a done deal, so it's possible...
... that Devin's pulling this whole thing out of his posterior.

Aside: why did they choose the Koernerprise illo to accompany the article?
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 08:58 PM   #415
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Aside: why did they choose the Koernerprise illo to accompany the article?
I was wondering the same thing.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 09:15 PM   #416
Cyrus
Rear Admiral
 
Cyrus's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Cyrus wrote: View Post
TMP was number 1 for at least the first 4 weeks of its release.
BoxOffice Mojo only had the first three weeks of TMP listed, so you may well be right. But the point stands that only two Trek films spent multiple weeks at number one.
They do show just the first three weeks, all with TMP at #1. If you isolate the third week, you see Kramer vs. Kramer opening and taking the #2 spot, then moving to #1 in the week following. (A different list gives TMP only two weeks in the top spot.)
They show Kramer vs Kramer as #1 only because that's the only movie they have the data for.

I followed TMP boxoffice in those days. It definitely was #1 on its 4th week. It made more money in the 4th week (around $14 million) than the 3rd week thanks to the the new year holidays.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 10:13 PM   #417
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Cyrus wrote: View Post

I followed TMP boxoffice in those days. It definitely was #1 on its 4th week. It made more money in the 4th week (around $14 million) than the 3rd week thanks to the the new year holidays.
And I wasn't following it then, so I yield to your experience. The information used to compile the lists I cited does appear to be incomplete.

I do suspect, though, that the statement made upthread concerning memory of a period when "when Star Trek was so successful that it held the #1 spot for weeks at a time" may turn out to have been a bit of an exaggeration.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 11:21 PM   #418
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

The Keeper wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
J.J. Abrams is on the verge of dropping out of Star Wars, Episode VII
Curious. I wonder what that's about. Perhaps the Mouse will not be affording him the freedom and flexibility that he might have enjoyed playing in the Trek sandbox. Curious indeed...
Perhaps be he doesn't like the core story or script and changes are verboten.
Twin suns + lens flare = problems
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 11:25 PM   #419
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander
 
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Badass Digest claims to have a scoop that screenwriters Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz are close to a deal to work on the script for the next movie along with Kurtzman and Orci. They also claim - pinch of salt here, more than a pinch in fact - that J.J. Abrams is on the verge of dropping out of Star Wars, Episode VII, potentially making him available to direct the next Trek. You can read the story here.
Abrams does not do cons, or that's what he said on the howard Stern show.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 11:31 PM   #420
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: View Post
Abrams does not do cons
He only does Khans.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.