RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,914
Posts: 5,388,334
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 550
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 15 2013, 11:01 AM   #271
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Cyrus wrote: View Post
It's interesting to read the mostly positive comments about Dwayne Johnson. When he appeared on the VOY episode most trek fans on this site were outraged, saying a wrestler had no business being in a trek episode and it was nothing but UPN promoting their wrestling show.
Ironic, isn't it ? Fans from one type of genre fiction not wanting anything to do with stuff from another one. I was just glad to see him.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 11:46 AM   #272
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

There's a greater chance of seeing The Rock in the next Star Wars films.


And that will be so funny. Now that Abrams does both, he will get criticized from both ends. Why did he do all those cool things in Star Wars, but only the sucky things in Star Trek? Why did they cast all the A-listers in Wars VII, but not in Trek III? Or vice versa.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 12:42 PM   #273
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Vice versa indeed. You remember how much flak Lucas got for the prequels ? SW fans complain just as much.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:24 PM   #274
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

"WHAT? DISNEY OWNS STAR WARS NOW? MY CHILDHOOD IS DEAD!"

Sounds familiar...
__________________
*Tim Duncan fills glass with milk*
"Hm, you know what..."
*adds squirt of chocolate syrup*
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 06:10 PM   #275
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
There's a greater chance of seeing The Rock in the next Star Wars films.
http://unleashthefanboy.s3.amazonaws...nson-jedi.jpeg
__________________
Player: I thought you were dead.
Revan: Only somewhat.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 06:42 PM   #276
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Cyrus wrote: View Post
It's interesting to read the mostly positive comments about Dwayne Johnson. When he appeared on the VOY episode most trek fans on this site were outraged, saying a wrestler had no business being in a trek episode and it was nothing but UPN promoting their wrestling show.

I was one of the few people who supported him, pointing out that he already had acting experience since he was a WWE wrestler. Also he was playing a wrestler type athelte on the show and not some scientist. He was good in it and it was a decent and entertaining episode but got bashed by VOY fans.
Wasn't the main complaint from fans not against Johnson specifically so much as that the episode was shameless cross-promotion for wrestling on the UPN network? It's like when they try and awkwardly shoehorn characters from a new series into an established one or spend an entire season blatantly incorporating Degree Antiperspirant into the narrative of each episode (I'm looking at you, Eureka).

As far as those types of things go, I agree that it was actually an okay episode, but I could see why it would bug some people.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 09:12 PM   #277
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Don't forget, 'Big Show' was on Enterprise as well! T'pol kicked his ass iirc. I suppose there was rage on here then as well!

I think people are more receptive toward Johnson now because he has had a very successful career in blockbuster movies since then and is not a bad actor. I just think he would make a good Klingon and remembered the Trek connection
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 09:30 PM   #278
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

For me, the problem with "Tsunkatse" was it was just cheap. The set was terrible--like something out of a cartoon, and it was obvious they hadn't put a lot of effort into the choreography.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 11:10 PM   #279
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Flake wrote: View Post
Don't forget, 'Big Show' was on Enterprise as well! T'pol kicked his ass iirc. I suppose there was rage on here then as well!

I think people are more receptive toward Johnson now because he has had a very successful career in blockbuster movies since then and is not a bad actor. I just think he would make a good Klingon and remembered the Trek connection
As much as I am willing to give Johnson the benefit of the doubt, there is one role he is about to play which I wish he wasn't: my favorite country singer, Charley Pride.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 04:58 AM   #280
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Don't forget, 'Big Show' was on Enterprise as well! T'pol kicked his ass iirc. I suppose there was rage on here then as well!

I think people are more receptive toward Johnson now because he has had a very successful career in blockbuster movies since then and is not a bad actor. I just think he would make a good Klingon and remembered the Trek connection
As much as I am willing to give Johnson the benefit of the doubt, there is one role he is about to play which I wish he wasn't: my favorite country singer, Charley Pride.
HE ISN'T.
__________________
*Tim Duncan fills glass with milk*
"Hm, you know what..."
*adds squirt of chocolate syrup*
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:50 PM   #281
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

^ O RLY?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:55 PM   #282
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Don't forget, 'Big Show' was on Enterprise as well! T'pol kicked his ass iirc. I suppose there was rage on here then as well!

I think people are more receptive toward Johnson now because he has had a very successful career in blockbuster movies since then and is not a bad actor. I just think he would make a good Klingon and remembered the Trek connection
As much as I am willing to give Johnson the benefit of the doubt, there is one role he is about to play which I wish he wasn't: my favorite country singer, Charley Pride.
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
What has a Charley Pride biopic got to do with anything under discussion here? Go start a thread in GTV&M if you really want to talk about that, but don't derail any threads in this forum with it.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 11:05 PM   #283
Cyrus
Rear Admiral
 
Cyrus's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

William Shatner as Harry Mudd. Or would that be too distracting?
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 06:43 PM   #284
Pro Populo
Rear Admiral
 
Pro Populo's Avatar
 
Location: The Middle West
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Cyrus wrote: View Post
William Shatner as Harry Mudd. Or would that be too distracting?
Wow. That would actually be kind of brilliant.

But in all seriousness, the only standards I have for the next Trek movie are:

(1) A good story that is compelling and entertaining, and
(2) A bit less blatant fan service.

And as long as (1) is mostly there, they can probably get away with (2) again, as far as I'm concerned.
Pro Populo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 11:01 PM   #285
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Cyrus wrote: View Post
William Shatner as Harry Mudd. Or would that be too distracting?
Very, I would think.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.