Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 24 2014, 01:17 PM   #106
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Re: Hannibal (TV series)

I don't want Katz to die, but it seems pretty likely, especially since that might be (among other things, like the framing of Will Graham, being proven to be the copycat and the Chesapeake Ripper, and playing God with Crawford's wife) what causes Crawford to eventually confront Lector in his kitchen in the awesome "12 weeks from now" fight scene at the start of this season.

Still, even though it means the probable death of a good supporting character, how great was that scene? I figured shit would go down once she went into his dungeon, and I could briefly see his silhouette in the dark, but it was still super tense when he turned the lights on, and then it got crazy when he shut them off and bolted. Not quite as suspenseful as the nightvision or ambulance scenes in Silence of the Lambs, but pretty damn close.

I wonder how the seasons will proceed if the show avoids cancellation. It seems impossible for the status quo to remain in effect after this season given the flash forward, so Hannibal might spend the next season on the run, and/or in Chilton's asylum with Graham consulting with him to capture other killers as he did in Red Dragon once Lector was caught. Or it could go prison first and then escape from prison, threatening Graham and Alana if they settle down together, or using other serial killers to go after them. It only very loosely has to follow the structure of Red Dragon.
Old March 24 2014, 02:28 PM   #107
sojourner
Admiral

Crawford may die in that fastforward resulting in Hannibal keeping his secret going, though that doesn't solve the issue of Will still thinking Hannibal's the killer.
Old March 24 2014, 03:27 PM   #108
Borgminister

I look forward to the psycho killer on psycho killer action next week as an aside...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 11:50 PM   #109
publiusr
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
Crawford may die in that fastforward resulting in Hannibal keeping his secret going, though that doesn't solve the issue of Will still thinking Hannibal's the killer.
That could very well be. He might have appreciated Hannibal saving his wife, but not at the expense of losing one of his best. I'm thinking Crawford had already lost his job--and his wife-- by the time that fight happened...him with nothing else to lose.

About that fight scene--Laurence Fishburne looked quite handy with that knife. I'm sorry but I can believe a Battlestar hovering over a city with anti-gravity before I can believe him losing that fight with Mads.

That scene in True Detective with McConaughey besting that huge dude with the baseball bat was even worse.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 02:29 AM   #110
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

publiusr wrote: View Post
About that fight scene--Laurence Fishburne looked quite handy with that knife. I'm sorry but I can believe a Battlestar hovering over a city with anti-gravity before I can believe him losing that fight with Mads.

That scene in True Detective with McConaughey besting that huge dude with the baseball bat was even worse.
Size and reach are certainly important, but you're completely neglecting skill. Hannibal was a surgeon; dexterity and quick thinking under pressure is his business. Not to mention he's had decades of practice at taking down victims of various sizes and skill levels, including ones who tried to kill him like that rival serial killer. FBI agents are well trained in hand-to-hand combat at the Academy too, but Jack's been riding a desk for years. He clearly still has retained some of that skill, though, so it should be a great match-up, and I'm curious to see how their fight ends. I seriously doubt they'd kill off Crawford though, because of the prominent role his character plays in the books, and because Lawrence Fishburne brings a lot of name recognition and gravitas to the cast, though they're not in short supply of the latter.

As for Rust in True Detective, he was shown to be quite adept at hand-to-hand and melee weapon fighting when necessary. Like how when Hart was threatening him in the locker room when Rust made the comment about him being disheveled and smelling after cheating on his wife; Rust was in total control of the situation the whole time and could have just put pressure on his hands to break Hart's wrists. Rust was a badass despite his thin and nondescript appearance.
Old March 25 2014, 05:54 AM   #111
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I wonder how the seasons will proceed if the show avoids cancellation. It seems impossible for the status quo to remain in effect after this season given the flash forward, so Hannibal might spend the next season on the run, and/or in Chilton's asylum with Graham consulting with him to capture other killers as he did in Red Dragon once Lector was caught. Or it could go prison first and then escape from prison, threatening Graham and Alana if they settle down together, or using other serial killers to go after them. It only very loosely has to follow the structure of Red Dragon.
I'm not sure if this is considered spoilers or not, but showrunner Bryan Fuller mentioned a long time ago that he has a seven season arc planned for Hannibal (he also mentions this on the making-of featurette on the Blu-ray). Season Two is about Will's redemption, Season Three would be about Hannibal on the run and Season Four would be an adaptation of Red Dragon. Season Five would be an adaptation of The Silence of the Lambs. Season Six would be an adaptation of Hannibal and Season Seven would bring closure to the Hannibal Lecter saga since the ending of Hannibal (the book) had Hannibal & Clarice on the run. Fuller has mentioned he hopes this TV incarnation of Hannibal becomes the definitive version of the character. Fairly ambitious if you ask me.

However, he did mention that he doesn't plan on completely and faithfully adhering to the books. He really loves Hugh Dancy's Will Graham character for example and has discussed the possibility of what Graham would be doing during the Silence of the Lamb period. So I'm assuming he plans on using the books as a foundation but not adhering to them completely. So it sounds like Hannibal will be on the run starting Season Three and would be incarcerated at the end of that season. One would assume Jack Crawford would live but Fuller did mention that he wanted to shake things up and said that characters would start dying this season, so who knows. Crawford is instrumental in both Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs so his departure from the show would radically redefine the later seasons if they are pulling from the books.

I for one am very excited about the potential of the show. I would absolutely love to see Fuller's take on The Silence of the Lambs, for example. Mads Mikkelsen's take is very different than Anthony Hopkins', but what happens to his Lecter when he approaches the Hopkins era of the character? How will Mikkelsen and his performance adjust to that version of the character? Will he stick to what he's been doing or will he adopt a more theatrical performance? As much as I loved The Silence of the Lambs, I think Fuller's more visual and beautifully grotesque take could be really fascinating. Also, as a big fan of the character and the show in general, I would just love to see it continue. Fortunately the ratings have been solid this season (and to some extent even better than last season) so I have high hopes it will be renewed for Season Three.
Old March 25 2014, 07:47 AM   #112
sojourner
Admiral

I thought they didn't have rights to use all the books?
Old March 25 2014, 09:29 AM   #113
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if this is considered spoilers or not, but showrunner Bryan Fuller mentioned a long time ago that he has a seven season arc planned for Hannibal (he also mentions this on the making-of featurette on the Blu-ray). Season Two is about Will's redemption, Season Three would be about Hannibal on the run and Season Four would be an adaptation of Red Dragon. Season Five would be an adaptation of The Silence of the Lambs. Season Six would be an adaptation of Hannibal and Season Seven would bring closure to the Hannibal Lecter saga since the ending of Hannibal (the book) had Hannibal & Clarice on the run. Fuller has mentioned he hopes this TV incarnation of Hannibal becomes the definitive version of the character. Fairly ambitious if you ask me.

However, he did mention that he doesn't plan on completely and faithfully adhering to the books. He really loves Hugh Dancy's Will Graham character for example and has discussed the possibility of what Graham would be doing during the Silence of the Lamb period. So I'm assuming he plans on using the books as a foundation but not adhering to them completely. So it sounds like Hannibal will be on the run starting Season Three and would be incarcerated at the end of that season. One would assume Jack Crawford would live but Fuller did mention that he wanted to shake things up and said that characters would start dying this season, so who knows. Crawford is instrumental in both Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs so his departure from the show would radically redefine the later seasons if they are pulling from the books.

I for one am very excited about the potential of the show. I would absolutely love to see Fuller's take on The Silence of the Lambs, for example. Mads Mikkelsen's take is very different than Anthony Hopkins', but what happens to his Lecter when he approaches the Hopkins era of the character? How will Mikkelsen and his performance adjust to that version of the character? Will he stick to what he's been doing or will he adopt a more theatrical performance? As much as I loved The Silence of the Lambs, I think Fuller's more visual and beautifully grotesque take could be really fascinating. Also, as a big fan of the character and the show in general, I would just love to see it continue. Fortunately the ratings have been solid this season (and to some extent even better than last season) so I have high hopes it will be renewed for Season Three.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad to see that Fuller has such a broad long term plan for the show, and it is indeed pretty ambitious, as you say. They already did a sort of trial run version of Starling in S1, and I thought they handled that quite well, so I'm really interested to see Fuller's take on the character through multiple seasons.

Crawford to me just seems like too much of an essential part of the Clarice Starling storyline to kill off, but I suppose if he really wanted to shake things up, he could have Will Graham take on the mentor role to Starling that Jack traditionally occupied. That would also carry over the antagonism that Lector had for Crawford in the books/films to Graham, who had a similar but more intense antagonism with Lector for obvious reasons.

I really hope Fuller gets a chance to see his complete vision for the series come to pass, because I'd love to see a new unified take on the complete Lector/Graham/Starling/Crawford saga under the guidance of a single showrunner. I'm glad to hear that the ratings are doing well, because Fuller's shows that I enjoy have a tendency to get the axe.
Old March 26 2014, 04:31 PM   #114
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I have only watched the first two episodes of season 1 this month. I watched them on an iPhone while traveling from iTunes.
Amazing cinematography. I can't believe this is a NBC network show. Really paced like a feature film. I felt like I was watching SE7EN but without all the atmosphere.
I really enjoyed Laurence Fishburne and Hugh Dancy in these roles so far..
According to Wikipedia each season is 13 episodes and it really felt like a high end cable television drama or miniseries so far. Since they greenlit season 2 it showed it can withhold interest.
I can't imagine watching this show with commercials.
Watching a 43 minute episode uncut on iTunes really gives the feature film feel.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 05:46 PM   #115
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

This. I was under the impression the rights to Clarice Starling and Silence of the Lambs was tied up by some failed pilot.

edit: Here Fuller says he hopes the rights to Starling can be cleared up by season 5.
Old March 27 2014, 01:49 AM   #116
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I thought Larry had porked out since the Matrix.

Last night however I saw this twig in Rumblefish that couldn't possibly be our friend from Hannibal.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 02:45 AM   #117
Aragorn
Admiral

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
This. I was under the impression the rights to Clarice Starling and Silence of the Lambs was tied up by some failed pilot.

edit: Here Fuller says he hopes the rights to Starling can be cleared up by season 5.
Or else season five will be about agent Julianne Foster and her pursuit of the killer Cincinnati Bengal.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 06:10 AM   #118
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

That would be interesting to see. I wonder how closely Fuller could parallel Silence while someone else owns the rights and intends to make a competing series.
Old March 27 2014, 03:07 PM   #119
Sgt. Sacrament
Lieutenant Commander

I asked a question a few days ago, but nobody answered it, and it's back a page now, so I'll ask it again, and if no one answers it, I'll create a new thread for it, so here goes (I've missed a lot of the show this season):

In last week's episode (aired 3/14/14), did they say that Abigail Hobb's ear was removed while she was still alive? If so, wow, I guess they have to keep reminding you how evil Hannibal really is.

Thanks!
Sgt. Sacrament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 05:28 PM   #120
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I'm about 99% sure that they did say that Abigail's ear was removed while she was still alive.