Stewart Snotbot Support
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Ryan Joins Arrow
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Retro Review: Jetrel
By: Michelle on Jul 24

New ThinkGeek Trek-Themed Products
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 11 2014, 02:38 PM   #91
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Re: Hannibal (TV series)

It's true I didn't get enough of a sample to see any long term continuity, so that's fair. But they kept on setting people up as innocents getting you just invested enough in them to be 'shocked' when they are found flayed open later in the episode. And it had things like, Hannibal revealing his nature to murderous little girls, which seems like too big a risk for him to take just for the sake of professional courtesy.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 03:07 PM   #92
Borgminister

He covers his tracks well, though.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 10:32 PM   #93
sojourner
Admiral

Hey, for those that like Hannibal, you might find Those That Kill interesting. It reminds me of a cross of Hannibal and The Killing in general style. It's airing on A&E monday nights.
Old March 13 2014, 10:44 PM   #94
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That one turned me off.

The draw on Hannibal, like Dexter, like House of Cards, is that the bad guy is getting away with doing horrible shit.

Those that kill is just an emotionally stunted lady hunting perverts and whackjobs.

Pretty standard.

Although, those that Kill is probably identical to any treatise put forward for a (Clarice) Starling show, of which there have been a couple over the years that have just not quite made it to production.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:12 AM   #95
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Hey, for those that like Hannibal, you might find Those That Kill interesting. It reminds me of a cross of Hannibal and The Killing in general style. It's airing on A&E monday nights.
A&E’s ‘Those Who Kill’ Pulled from schedule (for now)
Old March 14 2014, 12:29 AM   #96
sojourner
Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
A&E’s ‘Those Who Kill’ Pulled from schedule (for now)
Well, that sucks, but considering it had virtually no promotional build up, I can understand the ratings. I only found it by channel surfing.
Old March 22 2014, 08:13 AM   #97
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Looks like Hannibal is serving Asian food now. Ugh...that ending...
Old March 22 2014, 08:20 AM   #98
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Is it racist to assume that different ethnicities express different flavours during consumption?

Old March 22 2014, 03:40 PM   #99
sojourner
Admiral

Hannibal has a super villain lair in the basement.
Old March 22 2014, 07:02 PM   #100
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Poor Katz. I really liked her character. I was kinda curious why she got such a beefier role this season (no pun intended). Also, how much do you wanna bet that she saw Abigail Hobbs in that basement?
Old March 22 2014, 10:07 PM   #101
Sgt. Sacrament
Lieutenant Commander

Okay, I like this show alot, but I've only seen parts of a couple of episodes, and missed the season 2 premiere, and I've got a question. In last week's episode (aired 3/14/14), did they say that Abigail Hobb's ear was removed while she was still alive? If so, wow, I guess they have to keep reminding you how evil Hannibal really is.

And as far as last night's episode... the doctor finds the "food" in Hannibal's fridge and even says something like "Bingo, proof!" Okay, get out of there? NO, she GOES DOWN IN THE BASEMENT!?!?!?!?
Sgt. Sacrament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 10:21 PM   #102
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Despite being in this weeks episode, Kacey Rohl is "starring" in a sitcom about a dysfunctional family realing from the crippling debt left by the passing of her father.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3821782/

Kacey plays an adult lawyer in her mid 20s, and its not that bad.

Old March 23 2014, 01:43 AM   #103
Borgminister

Wonder if she gets out of that basement... Nah.

Flip of the coin decides life or death. Wow.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 01:47 AM   #104
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The weight of the cast though?

Are they going to bring in a new woman, or promote an existing cast member from the minors?

Or was she only upfront because someone else was busy who is now due back form vacation next week?

Old March 23 2014, 10:30 PM   #105
publiusr
Rear Admiral

Hannibal has a super villain lair in the basement.
He was at his most frightening in that sequence, when you see him behind the poor girl. Even his performance in Valhalla Rising couldn't top that.

With the move of him turning on "one of his own," we begin to see him a little less sympathetic with the audience.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The draw on Hannibal, like Dexter, like House of Cards, is that the bad guy is getting away with doing horrible shit.
Hopkins' incarnation would agree with that strong sense of justice, even if Brian Cox's version would be indifferent to it.

Seeing he and Graham switch sides of the glass, as it were, was rather interesting.

Still, society at large, filled full of dunces, does worse things--and many see Dexter and others as more honest after a fashion.

Frankly, the worst thing this Hannibal ever did was to bring Mrs. Crawford back to the world of pain. There are worse things than murder.

The kindest thing--in its own way--was in his helping to finish the mural. That was actually rather touching, after a fashion.

This may strike you all as mad, but--human flesh or no--I would consider it an honor to be invited to his table.

My nightmare wouldn't be seeing my own person added to his larder, but how would I have a conversation with this man?

I fancy myself as being rather bright--but there is no hiding from him. I'm sure I would make a faux pas of some kind or other.

To steal a quote from a documentary on Silence, you want him to like you.

If I started to talk about space exploration, he might consider it childish, or see it as a ham fisted way for me to get the upper hand. He might talk what my favorite Chief Designer was--and if I said Glushko, he might agree, seeing both he and Valentin Petrovich were elegant men.

If I tried too hard, he would say I was putting on airs, or that, like Borges, my love for " hourglasses, maps, eighteenth-century typefaces, etymologies" were held by me "in a vain kind of way that turns them into an actor’s attributes."

I could see myself asking about HPL or Goya, and he might rebuff me as trying too hard.

Physical danger isn't what would get to me in his presence, but how I would come off at his table.

It is all rather like how Martin Vanger told Blomkvist (in the Millennium trilogy) that what made him climb back was fear of offence.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote