TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 27 2014, 01:53 AM   #196
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Re: Hannibal (TV series)

I love the artistry and poetry and sense of style of the show, but there are times where I wonder how long the episodes would actually last if you removed all the flashbacks, hallucinations, dream sequences, gruesome corpse art, long serious stares, poetic monologuing, and oily ManDeerPig shots. It would probably be about twenty minutes of actual stuff happening.

Normally that wouldn't bother me, because it's all part of the creepy yet simultaneously refined atmosphere of the show, but in the case of the finale, I would have liked to see more time devoted to a better set up for the final confrontation than just having everyone suddenly become incompetent again to put them in Hannibal's house without backup when they all knew what was going to happen.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 04:22 PM   #197
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I love the artistry and poetry and sense of style of the show, but there are times where I wonder how long the episodes would actually last if you removed all the flashbacks, hallucinations, dream sequences, gruesome corpse art, long serious stares, poetic monologuing, and oily ManDeerPig shots. It would probably be about twenty minutes of actual stuff happening.

Normally that wouldn't bother me, because it's all part of the creepy yet simultaneously refined atmosphere of the show, but in the case of the finale, I would have liked to see more time devoted to a better set up for the final confrontation than just having everyone suddenly become incompetent again to put them in Hannibal's house without backup when they all knew what was going to happen.
I absolutely love the show, but I totally agree with this.

As I was watching the finale, I was getting fed up with the dream-like imagery and all of the artful visuals. I understand the show's visual nature is a hallmark of the show, and I would never want the showrunners to homogenize the program, but in the case of the finale, I was waiting impatiently for things to happen.

I think Fuller and the writers might have shot themselves in the foot with the prologue fight sequence that began the first episode of the second season. Once I knew we would return to that in the finale, I was just bidding time waiting for the show to return to that point. Normally, I'm a big fan of the imagery, the hallucinations, the artful visual metaphors and all of that jazz, but here I wanted the show to just get to the point. As I was talking to my boyfriend about it, I don't think the episode actually got interesting until the final 20-30 minutes - everything leading up to that, while interesting, seemed to deliberately weigh down the pacing when the exact opposite should have been the case.

Regardless, I did enjoy season 2 as a whole very much. I think the Verger sub-plot was my favorite part of the season. In particular, Michael Pitt as Mason Verger stole the show and I hope we see him again soon. However, I did like Will and Hannibal's cat and mouse game - at least from a certain perspective - and how Will was constantly trying to deceive Hannibal into believing he was "his man". That made for some compelling drama and honestly I'd take that over the "killer of the week" storylines we saw in season 1 and for some of season 2. Season 3 will be interesting from what I've heard via Bryan Fuller. Taking the storylines from Hannibal (the novel) and Hannibal Rising and meshing them into one season will be interesting to say the least. Especially since Fuller said they don't intend to adapt the books in sequential order. He seemed to confirm we'd see Francis Dolarhyde next season, which makes me think the second half of Season 3 will be a loose adaptation of Red Dragon.

I'm just happy the show is actually coming back for Season 3. In a strange way, I could totally see the Season 2 finale acting as a series finale for the show. It would be immensely frustrating, but I could have seen it working. Apparently, according to Fuller, the Season 3 premiere will almost act as a pilot for a brand-new show. While that worries me a tad, it also excites me. As much as I love the show, the "formula" was getting a little old. So I'm intrigued to see how Fuller shakes things up for the next season.
Old June 1 2014, 10:32 PM   #198
publiusr
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
Oh god. These are pitch perfect:

https://twitter.com/ZooHannibal

Thanx for that one.

Du Maurier..now why is that name familiar...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphne_Du_Maurier

Oh well, we pretty much see her as Clarice in moving on with Hannibal--this time, not an amputee.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 04:32 AM   #199
Agent Richard07
Retired

The second season was better than the first. I loved it, from the artful visuals (a real highlight of the show indeed) to seeing Will Graham incarcerated, Hannibal Lecter style. Seeing him turn into a killer was quite a turn. They're really taking some liberties there, I thought. I didn't suspect it was a ruse. Then there's the ending. With a bloodbath like that, I expected Will to wake up, revealing that it was a dream. Before reading that interview posted above, my hope was that everyone would make it but now I'm guessing that either Alana or Abigail (or both) don't make it.

So, they have a 7-season plan do they? I figured on 4 or 5. I really hope they can get this Clarice Starling business cleared up. It'd be a real shame if they had to move forward without her. I'm somewhat confident that they will clear it up. And I'm even more confident that the show will run the course. It's got the support of Netflix, where I just watched the entire season in 4 days. I was surprised that they put it up so soon. This is how I'll watch it from now on.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 04:49 AM   #200
Aragorn
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
So, they have a 7-season plan do they? I figured on 4 or 5. I really hope they can get this Clarice Starling business cleared up. It'd be a real shame if they had to move forward without her. I'm somewhat confident that they will clear it up. And I'm even more confident that the show will run the course. It's got the support of Netflix, where I just watched the entire season in 4 days. I was surprised that they put it up so soon. This is how I'll watch it from now on.
It's a six season plan now. Instead of season 3 being the manhunt and season 6 being Hannibal, it sounds like Fuller will be merging the two ideas together.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:24 AM   #201
Jack Frost
Commodore

So long as it keeps it's edge, the more the better imo.
Old June 26 2014, 04:41 PM   #202
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
As Aragorn said, the plan is now for six seasons and I could see Fuller changing that so it might even be five seasons depending on how much they squeeze into Season 3. Which I think is a good idea. Look at Breaking Bad, which ran for five seasons and I feel like that show ended on a high note. Shows often feel like they've run their course after six or seven seasons so I'm glad Fuller re-thought his plan. Although I'm sure seven seasons would have been a great run for this show given how immensely good it is.

Fuller also mentioned that if they can't resolve the rights issue with the Clarice Starling character then Fuller will create a brand-new character that resembles Starling but has a different name. They did the same for Cynthia Nixon's character. They were originally going to call her Paula Krendler (after Paul Krendler from The Silence of the Lambs; Ray Liotta played him in Hannibal) but given the rights issue they had to re-name her character, even though she serves the same purpose as Krendler from the books. I think Anna Chlumsky's character Miriam Lass could play the same role Starling did whenever they get to The Silence of the Lambs, but I trust Fuller knows what he's doing.
Old June 26 2014, 05:07 PM   #203
Aragorn
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Fuller also mentioned that if they can't resolve the rights issue with the Clarice Starling character then Fuller will create a brand-new character that resembles Starling but has a different name. They did the same for Cynthia Nixon's character. They were originally going to call her Paula Krendler (after Paul Krendler from The Silence of the Lambs; Ray Liotta played him in Hannibal) but given the rights issue they had to re-name her character, even though she serves the same purpose as Krendler from the books. I think Anna Chlumsky's character Miriam Lass could play the same role Starling did whenever they get to The Silence of the Lambs, but I trust Fuller knows what he's doing.
Agent Julianne Foster.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 06:19 PM   #204
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

In case anyone's interested in the music of Hannibal on September 2 Lakeshore Records is releasing four (yes 4) soundtracks for the tv series. That's 2 for each of the two seasons so far.
Old September 11 2014, 07:05 PM   #205
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Hannibal Season 3: Gillian Anderson Is a Full-Fledged Series Regular
Old September 11 2014, 11:08 PM   #206
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Very welcome news. I love how measured her performance is on this show -- every gesture and movement seems so calculated and precise. I find myself a little mesmerized by her whenever she's on the screen.

More Gillian Anderson is always a good thing.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2014, 06:39 AM   #207
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Michael Pitt Out, Joe Anderson In as Mason Verger
Old December 21 2014, 09:32 PM   #208
Borgminister

I. can't. wait.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote