Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 17 2014, 10:54 PM   #181
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Hannibal (TV series)

sojourner wrote: View Post
Assuming they ever get the rights to use Silence of the Lambs.
From what I've heard, they just don't have the rights to use Clarice Starling. Fuller has every intention of adapting Silence of the Lambs - if he can't get the rights to use Starling, he'll just create a character very similar.
Old May 18 2014, 12:58 AM   #182
Aragorn
Admiral

I heard it was all the characters that were created in The Silence of the Lambs, and that's why Cynthia Nixon's character Kade Purnell was an anagram of "Paul Krendler," the character that Ray Liotta would go on to play in Hannibal.

So instead of Buffalo Bill, the bad guy will be Detroit Lion.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 09:31 PM   #183
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I would not be scared of Detroit Lion. They're too clawless...
Old May 20 2014, 05:54 AM   #184
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I heard it was all the characters that were created in The Silence of the Lambs
Here's the quote:

"The character’s name was Paul Krendler, and we wanted to call her Paula Krendler, and they said no, because the way the rights go, it’s not by the literature, it’s actually by the character’s introduction. So if a character is first seen in Silence of the Lambs, we’re screwed, as far as rights go."

Unrelatedly, I only just noticed that Carlo is played by the same guy who was Spunkmeyer in Aliens! He's also been in stuff like Orphan Black and the remake of Robocop but I never recognized him. It has been 28 years after all.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 05:18 AM   #185
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Just saw the finale...

Wow, I can honestly say that this episode was unlike anything I've ever seen on network TV. From the opening split screen business (brilliant!) to the post-credits scene (what a reveal!), I was mesmerized.

I still can't wrap my head around both of the surprise cameos but I'm relieved that we get another season for some answers.

Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 06:10 AM   #186
sojourner
Admiral

Yep, that was the best season finale of the year.

Old May 24 2014, 07:39 AM   #187
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Awesome finale. Bryan Fuller TV Guide interview about season 2 and what's ahead for season 3.
Old May 24 2014, 08:08 AM   #188
Borgminister

Incredible. Ratings don't reflect it, but incredible.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 08:16 AM   #189
Borgminister

Fuller's a tease.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 01:42 PM   #190
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Awesome finale. Bryan Fuller TV Guide interview about season 2 and what's ahead for season 3.
My read on the section of the article I quoted below is that...

Awesome finale, and surprisingly full of twists despite telegraphing the ending at the beginning of the season.

Though it was a little too dependent on the FBI (typically) and Jack and Will and Alana being completely incompetent. It's not like the FBI didn't know where Jack and Will were planning to go and couldn't cordon off the area, or couldn't have just placed them in custody when they were both at FBI HQ earlier in the day.

And it's not like Will doesn't know that Hannibal doesn't have the super-sniffer that could detect the small of Freddie Lounds on him (though the argument could be made that that's part of their depicting him as being ambiguous about whether he'll take Hannibal's side or Jack's, and maybe he was tipping Hannibal off).

And while Alana is inexperienced with firearms, I find it hard to believe she would go into a known shooting situation without checking to make sure her gun was loaded first.

We knew Jack would face Hannibal alone from the preview of the fight at the start of the season, but I doubt that he would try and face Hannibal without Will being present, even with their timetable being moved up by the FBI forcing their hand.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 05:12 PM   #191
sojourner
Admiral

Oh god. These are pitch perfect:

https://twitter.com/ZooHannibal
Old May 24 2014, 08:45 PM   #192
Beagleman
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Oh god. These are pitch perfect:

https://twitter.com/ZooHannibal
So awesome!
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2014, 05:09 PM   #193
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

One of my favorite recent shows, yet the season finale was pretty lame. Very pretty, but seriously lame. Everyone was completely incompetent, which undermines Hannibal's genius. They might as well have all put their guns in their mouths and pulled the triggers (which would still have somehow killed Alana) to save Hannibal some time.

I especially liked how the FBI knows Hannibal is a killer, and knows Jack and Will are going to either try and kill or capture him, on top of issuing warrants for their arrest, and having Alana straight up tell them Jack and Will can't be dissuaded ... and they do absolutely nothing about it beyond sending some SUVs to spook Will at his house. Really? Not even one active agent swings by to put eyes on Hannibal? No one has been tasked with tailing Jack or Will - who were just at FBI headquarters? Really?

And then Alana calls the police about shots fired in an affluent white neighborhood and 20 minutes later, we don't even hear sirens in the distance. Yeah, OK, that would happen.

There was no need to make everyone but Hannibal a complete moron here. He's been shown to be quite capable of eliminating threats, especially when it's revealed he's been fucking with everyone the whole time and always had an escape plan in place (Du Maurier) for either himself or the Will/Hannibal bromance duo.

The fact Will is the one who gets everyone turned into cold cuts was hilariously stupid, as well. "You were supposed to leave!" D'oh!
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 11:38 AM   #194
Saul
Rear Admiral

Great episode but I didn't like how it all came together at the end. Instead of getting some evidence on Hannibal Will just convinces Jack that Hannibal is the killer. So Jack goes to Hannibal's house and both he and Hannibal know they are going to try kill each other. Jack pulled the gun on Hannibal. You could just as easily say what Hannibal did was self defense. The other parts less so but Jack went there to do what? Arrest him? Force Hannibal to try kill him by pointing a gun at him? Seriously what the f**k can Jack do that wouldn't get him arrested and Hannibal off the hook?

I do like this series a lot but sometimes it kinda jumps to the goods with no good reason to and the build up is wasted. It's needs more connectivity rather than characters basing actions on their gut feelings.
Old May 26 2014, 06:46 PM   #195
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure that Jack was going to kill Hannibal. If he had arrested Hannibal the FBI would've had to release him. Whatsherface already told Jack what he and Will were doing is illegal and was going to arrest them both so Jack really had no choice but to kill Hannibal if he wanted to stop him.