Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 19 2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

THE LAST SHIP Season 2 - discussion, spoilers and general mayhem

It's Baaaaaaaack!

The best Star Trek on TV substitute ever returns to the airwaves on Sunday, June 21 on TNT. Eric Dane is back! Rhona Mitra is back! Adam Baldwin is back! The Nathan James is back!

This season we'll find out if the crew can get the ship back from the hijackers, if the Captain will choose his family or his mission, if the ship will be stopped by evil Aussies in a submarine!

And maybe, just maybe, The Powers That Be will see fit to acknowledge the fact that the Nathan James is a GUIDED MISSILE DESTROYER and maybe launch two whole missiles this year! Wouldn't that be nice? Hmmm?

But I'll be watching either way. What say you, Little Tall?

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2015, 12:58 AM   #2
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: THE LAST SHIP Season 2 - discussion, spoilers and general mayhem

The first season was a really fun guilty pleasure, so definitely looking forward to the next.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2015, 10:24 AM   #3
John Clark
Commodore

Think it starts a week on sunday here, but the tivo box has picked it up. (The dvd/blu-ray of the first series is also out here next month)

I liked the first series so I'll be tuning in.
Old June 20 2015, 11:49 PM   #4
Gaith
Vice Admiral

John Clark wrote: View Post
I liked the first series so I'll be tuning in.
It's "season", you untrustworthy foreigner! You liked the first season!

... Sorry, just getting into the spirit of the show. USA! USA! USA!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2015, 11:09 AM   #5
John Clark
Commodore

It's "season", you untrustworthy foreigner! You liked the first season!

... Sorry, just getting into the spirit of the show. USA! USA! USA! [/QUOTE]

I blame lack of sleep

I do tend to use season more nowadays but every so often it just slips in there.
Old June 21 2015, 08:44 PM   #6
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Between The Last Ship, Battlebots, and The Next Food Network Star, I am really going to enjoy Sunday nights this summer!
Old June 21 2015, 10:38 PM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral

Oh yes! This show defined my summer last year, and after having just re-watched the first season within the previous week, I am pumped for this!
Old June 22 2015, 01:00 AM   #8
Scout101
Admiral

I'll definitely be back, fun series. And they got some great access from the Navy, it's very spot-on with most of what they show.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2015, 04:07 AM   #9
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Well that first couple of hours was truly satisfying.

Captain got his family back, the cowboy got his doctor back, the crew got their ship back, and TNT got its awesome back.

It amazes me how much infantry fighting was required to achieve all that. It would be interesting to see how the Navy would use that for recruiting: "Join the Navy - BE THE ARMY!"

Alfred Woodard did a great job being a dedicated evil dictator. Just the right amount "I'm doing evil for the greater good!"

I'm giving the premiere a solid A.

-Admiral James Greer
Old June 22 2015, 07:24 AM   #10
Phantom
Commander

Won't be able to see it until it comes out some time next year on DVD (no cable or subsciption streaming).

I did "pop my cherry" on the show by marathoning S1 on the recommendation of a friend. LOVED it! The only thing I didn't like very well was the obvious Tea Party paranoid idea of "the ehvul Lib'ral gov't" (complete with black leader) conspiracy to off the normal folks/"useless eaters".

Given how our society really is right now, it would have made a ton more sense for them to be Koch-style corporate types.

But I still want to see what happens.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2015, 01:49 PM   #11
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Really a great show last night... I was very happy about the two-hour time frame. That way it did justice to the story line.

All due credit to Adam Baldwin too... Watching him channel his "inner Jayne" was a delight...
Old June 22 2015, 10:48 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

I don't know. Sure it was entertaining, but it didn't seem to grab me quite as much as I was expecting. Sure, it kicked ass, but it didn't seem as edge of your seat as it did last year. Maybe I was building the anticipation up too high and could only be disappointed? Then again, the storyline and last year's cliffhanger only had so many ways they could play out. In fact, what interested me the most was the ending, now that Mama Granderson is defeated I'd really like to know where things will go from there.

And it sure is obvious that even though the storyline picks up immediately where season 1 finished off, there were in fact several months between the filming. Most obvious Lt. Greene has apparently found time to grow some facial hair and Chandler's kids have had a bit of a growth spurt. With the kids this is unavoidable, just grin and pretend they were always this size. But really, couldn't the guy who plays Greene have shaved to look like he did in the finale?

And while we're nitpicking, where is the Nathan James's helicopter? The crew were assembled in a helicopter bay without a chopper being held in it, and it couldn't be in the other bay since that's Dr. Scott's lab. And in the S1 finale they said they had no fuel to fly it around, so where was it.

So, all the background material I find online (like Wikipedia or a few news sites talking about the show lately) claim the Master Chief's first name is Hugh. But Chandler kept referring to him as "Russ" around his family. To me, Russ would be an abbreviation of Russell, so where do you get Russ out of Hugh?
Old June 22 2015, 11:05 PM   #13
lurok
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
The first season was a really fun guilty pleasure, so definitely looking forward to the next.
Same here. Looking forward to S2.
Old June 23 2015, 12:15 AM   #14
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
And while we're nitpicking, where is the Nathan James's helicopter? The crew were assembled in a helicopter bay without a chopper being held in it, and it couldn't be in the other bay since that's Dr. Scott's lab. And in the S1 finale they said they had no fuel to fly it around, so where was it.
Standard Navy practice is to send any embarked aircraft to the beach before the ship enters port. It probably had just enough fuel to get to an air base and land. After that, all Mama Granderson's boys had to do was not refuel it and hold the crew. They might have tried mention that somehow, but there's no deep mystery and it's not necessarily a flub.

-Admiral James Greer
Old June 23 2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Tom
Rear Admiral

Great way to bring in Season 2! I enjoyed it

Owner & Founder - TrekUnited.com & GalacticaBBS
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote