TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 24 2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

How important is social networking for you?

I realize that people have different reasons for using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. While some may use them for work or business reasons, the vast majority of users most likely log in to networking sites as a means of personal communication. In essence, Facebook and other sites can be an extension of people's social lives.

I currently have two Facebook accounts: one primary that I initially signed up for many years ago, and one anonymous account that I recently created. My primary motivation for using FB: Boredom.

At first, I thought FB would be a great opportunity for me to reconnect with old friends, former classmates, and other acquaintances. As time went by, however, I came to realize that "reconnecting with people" wasn't all that important to me. Either I had very few things in common with them, or they made no effort to reach out to me and say, "Hey, how are you doin'?" Also, I thought, "If I didn't really care about or like this person then, why should I bother now?"

To some extent, I still use FB to share interests with current friends and family members, at least the ones who actually bother to read my posts or send me e-mails. Lately I've been deleting/blocking a lot of "inactive" friends (both past and present). Besides, many of my very good real-life friends and contacts aren't even into networking sites, but I love them just the same.

What say you? How vital are networking sites in your everyday life?

Last edited by Jolly Old Krampus; May 24 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Jolly Old Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: How important is social networking for you?

I'm on Twitter, but I don't really network my own life on it. I mainly use it to follow others, such as my favorite teams, my city police department, etc.
Old May 24 2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu

Honestly, it's important but it isn't. It has definitely come in handy over the years but I am trying not to focus completely on it. It is definitely nice to have but it is important to find the happy medium between social networking and focusing on yourself.

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

I don't particularly care for the drama and the trivial stuff some folks complain about, though I admit I've done that occasionally. I also don't like self-centered posters and attention whores who have to announce every single thing they do, e.g., "Hey, look at me eating this ginormous cheesecake!" That's when I use the Unfollow or Unsubscribe option.

As far as posting my own updates, I put my contacts in different user groups so that I don't have to "broadcast" said updates to everyone on my list. That way, family pictures stay within the family and close friends, work rants are none of other people's business, and so forth.
Old May 24 2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Scout101
Admiral

Not very. Facebook is interesting to just kinda follow people's lives without having to, you know, TALK to all of them. Just keep tabs on people and whatnot, and provide a little glimpse into your own goings on. I don't put a ton up there, though. No Twitter or any of the other services. Not going to pretend I'm spouting great wisdom, and not much interest in watching YOU try...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 07:07 PM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral

Not very, haven't visited facebook in months, don't use twitter etc..
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 07:07 PM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome

I am a Facebook whore.
Old May 24 2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Chensams
Vice Admiral

I mainly use Facebook to share pictures on the family and check up on old buds. I only friend people I would actually want to talk to or visit so my list is rather small.
Old May 24 2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or any other sort of social networking, and I won't. I just don't see the point. Anyone I want to keep in touch with, I already do - anyone else doesn't matter.
Old May 24 2013, 07:54 PM   #10
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Not at all. Everybody important to my life (who are still alive, at any rate) lives within 20 miles of me, and I can see them any time, so there's need for me to use these things, and even less interest.

That said, some of the aforementioned people use Facebook, and once in a while, I'll read something THEY post, but I won't use those sites myself.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 08:10 PM   #11
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I eventually created a fake Facebook account when I needed one to log into a website. I do use Twitter a little bit, mostly for news, not following real life friends.
Old May 24 2013, 08:14 PM   #12
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I have a Facebook account that I hardly ever use, and I've never touched Twitter.

So not at all.
Old May 24 2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I use Facebook to keep up with some out-of-town friends and relatives whom I wouldn't have much contact with otherwise. Also with a few people I've met online -- here, on another board, or on FB itself. By now I've unfriended all the old school friends. After the initial catch-up, we had nothing to say to each other. I also find FB pages to be a convenient way to keep up w/ local news and events.

So it's become much more important to me than I'd expected. During that almost two years that I was pretty much homebound, it was a real lifeline. Now I have to get out of the habit of spending so much time there and online in general!
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Not very important.
Old May 24 2013, 09:09 PM   #15
SeerSGB
Admiral

Personally? 0. But a necessary evil to keep up with some family and the occasional bit of professional use.