Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 16 2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Matt S
Lieutenant

Post here if you actually loved this movie!! SPOILERS!!!! -

Am I the only one thinking I came out of a kickbutt, awesome film?

I think we need a positive thread section cause all the old trek nerds are going NUTS with their nerd rage

I really thought it was well done in almost every way - actually could have used a little more from the villian storyline

Can some not enjoy this on its own merits, without having to constantly rate it with the other movies?

Last edited by Matt S; May 17 2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old May 17 2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Post here if you actually loved this movie!!

I loved it and have no complaints. If anything I would have made it a little longer.
Old May 17 2013, 12:17 AM   #3
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

I thought that it was pretty good. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. The last great Trek film was FC, IMHO.
Old May 17 2013, 12:19 AM   #4
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I loved it, yes.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
Old May 17 2013, 12:55 AM   #5
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Matt S wrote: View Post
Am I the only one thinking he came out of a kickbutt, awesomee film?

I think we need a positive thread section cause all the old trek nerds are going NUTS with their nerd rage
No, you're certainly not alone. I think a thread for those of us who weren't blown away by it would be more appropriate - we're the minority, not you.

It's strange. I mean, look at the rating on rotten tomatoes; by all accounts, I should have loved it. I went in expecting to love it; I left deflated and disappointed. I thought ST09, while not without it's flaws, was a decent flick. It seems as though you were all invited to a party and had a blast. Which sucks, because I normally get invited to those parties and have a blast myself. So, it's a real WTF? feeling when you look around the forum and find yourself in disagreement with a lot of people you would normally concur with.

Regarding any nerd rage, I'm short on that - sorry. None of my quibbles have been with any violation of "the.... CANNNONN!!!!!" They want to beam to another star system with secret tech - cool. Picard and co. thought themselves to the other side of the Universe and beyond in TNG Season 1. Whatever. Or Ricardoblany-cumber... khanny-or rather comparisons. Don't care.
Old May 17 2013, 01:11 AM   #6
Wowbagger
Fleet Captain

StarMan wrote: View Post
Matt S wrote: View Post
It's strange. I mean, look at the rating on rotten tomatoes; by all accounts, I should have loved it. I went in expecting to love it; I left deflated and disappointed. I thought ST09, while not without it's flaws, was a decent flick.
This is me. I really liked ST09 and did a lot of defending of it to my actual nerdraged friends -- who were pretty few and far between. I saw some weaknesses, and some challenges, but was pretty confident that Orci & Abrams would learn and overcome them in Star Trek XII. And then... they didn't. In my opinion, anyway. It started out strong and then sputtered -- not because they made Harrison be Khan, but because they lost all thematic coherence around the time Harrison was revealed to be Khan. And that made me sad.

Still a fun movie. The acting was really, really terrific all around, even when the script was not supporting them. I'll see it again -- probably twice more. But I don't expect to pull it off a shelf in 15 years and stick it in the Holo-ray Player or whatever we're using for DVDs by that point.

So, yeah... no nerd-rage here, either. Just a frowny face and mild surprise that so many others thought it was a "kickbutt, awesomee film". Maybe I'll see it differently on second viewing.
Old May 17 2013, 01:21 AM   #7
T J
Commodore

Loved every second!
Old May 17 2013, 01:31 AM   #8
Borgminister

Will see it again several times--Cumberkhan was great!
Old May 17 2013, 02:15 AM   #9
indianatrekker26
Captain

i just got back from it. I loved the crap out of it. My favorite thing in this was Pine. He NAILED James T. Kirk. I loved his whole arc in this movie; he finally earned the chair. I didn't mind the "stealing" from TWOK. I felt it was an hommage, and i loved the way it was executed. In fact, i loved how Khan was used in this alternate reality. Seeing what would happen had starfleet gotten their hands on him, and used his intellect. Only two minor nitpicks i have are: (1) The Klingons. While it was neat seeing them this time around, they just felt shoehorned in. (2) The ending felt so abrupt to me. I was also hoping for more of a beauty pass as Pine read the famous "These are the voyages,,,," lines. I loved the new warp effect.
Old May 17 2013, 03:31 AM   #10
Nameless Crewman
Captain

I just watched it and loved it. Better than the first IMHO. Now that they are going on a five year mission I wonder if they can do such a good job with less action, something along the lines of The Cage or Balance of Terror or even a Forbidden Planet type of story. Action is nice but my mind wants a mystery to solve, ya know what I mean?
Old May 17 2013, 03:35 AM   #11
7thsealord
Captain

Watched it. Thought it was GREAT. Will happily see again whenever possible.
Old May 17 2013, 03:42 AM   #12
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

I loved it so much that I'm already planning a second viewing this weekend!
Old May 17 2013, 03:43 AM   #13
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

You need to put SPOILERS in the title as several have already referenced a major spoiler in this thread.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 17 2013, 03:47 AM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, how can you have loved it if you haven't seen it?

Fucking brilliant. One of the two best Star Trek movies.
Old May 17 2013, 03:54 AM   #15
Matt S
Lieutenant

Ok, Spoilers added to subject line - thanks. Ok, random things: I went in wanting to hate CumberKhan cause he was white - in retrospect, I was being foolish. Cumberpatch was fucking brilliant as he-who-shall-not-be-named, or something like that.

Pine - I never thought of him & the Shat in the same sentence, cause PINE's kirk is a way more giving presence - he will share credit whereas Shat's Kirk was a Steamroller. Just different takes. One has a huge ego, one doesn't

My one issue with the movie: Spock Prime's hair - it was white 4 years ago, now almost normal color....WTF? Spock dying his hair. That was a really weird error