TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 7 2014, 09:26 AM   #1096
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Have any Australian subscrbers received their 2nd delivery yet? or know when to expect it?
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 10:53 AM   #1097
Markonian
Captain

Because the third round of models didn't arrive in April, I've emailed Eaglemoss (or rather, its German distributor) and they replied promptly that they had a supply bottleneck.

That would explain why there's not a single package openly available in newspaper shops across the country. Anyway, I wonder whether they'll combine the third and fourth delivery and maybe even throw in the (for me useless) E-D dedication plaque. It would save them delivery costs I guess.

Anyway, to prevent mysel from starving I procured USS Equinox from Ebay. The connection lines between the parts are very obvious but other than that, the model is top notch. They labelled the lifeboats! I also like that the secondary deflector is properly recessed, unlike it was on the Furuta version.

I've got the Furuta version since childhood, so it will always have a special place in my heart but Eaglemoss's Equinox is technically superior. No material does starship models as much justice as down-to-Earth metal.

You know how hard it is not to just buy all the models off Ebay instead of patiently waiting for the delivery? But then, I don't need every single model twice. I can wait. I can. Resist.
Old May 9 2014, 09:21 PM   #1098
publiusr
Rear Admiral

drt wrote: View Post
I've read that Lucasfilm used to be rather draconian in their pre-release approval process.
Much to the detriment of the Titanium series?

Let's have a whole bunch of pod-racers--they will sell...oops.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 10:54 PM   #1099
trekker670
Fleet Captain

StarTrek.com has announced that the 50th issue will be the TOS Enterprise. They've also confirmed that the Enterprise-C will be somewhere between issues 41-49. An announcement for the next year is forthcoming.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...ng-flight-soon
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 10:56 PM   #1100
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

It's a shame that we have to wait a while for the original Enterprise, but it's nice that the Enterprise-C is coming. I love the Ambassador-class!
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 12:29 AM   #1101
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
It's a shame that we have to wait a while for the original Enterprise, but it's nice that the Enterprise-C is coming. I love the Ambassador-class!
Is it though? I've got at least 7 different iterations of the original TOS Enterprise knocking around my house, some of which are very nice models.

The reason the Starships Collection is so appealing, to me at least is the wide variety of models on offer. I mean, I have an Akira class on my shelf! Do you know how long i've been wanting one of those that didn't cost close to £100 for a resin kit? That's the beauty of this collection, giving ships that aren't usually produced a chance to be made.

As for quality control issues, again - why are folks being so bitchy about them? Do you remember the Futura Toys? The Johnny Lightning ones? The Micro Machines? Compare the aftermarket prices of those models from a few years ago (easily reaching £10 per model just for the crappy ones) to the retail price for the collection (in the UK, £10). The difference in quality is night and day. And, ok, fine - these models I'm comapring them too are old. Ok. But look at DST's recent releases. There's spelling errors on their Enterprise-B model. Their Bird of Prey has missing detail around the Torpedo launcher. The Original release of the D was missing windows on the neck. And these are £50 models that are several orders of magnitude larger. The errors on the collection have been very few, and very insignificant in number. The most glaring issue I can think of is the packing for the Solar Sailer, namely it causing the model to break no matter how gingerly you remove it from the box.

As for everyone bitching about the Stargazer model having the reverse registry on the underside? Well, so did the studio model. That pretty much leaves the odd misspelling or reverse text - most of which barely register a millimeter in font size. If I'm holding the model a foot away in the palm of my hand and I can't see anything wrong, the model is fine. And being 19 issues in - every single one has been fine to amazing (except maybe the TMP Enterprise, but everyone hates that).
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 01:48 AM   #1102
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Dac wrote: View Post
Is it though? I've got at least 7 different iterations of the original TOS Enterprise knocking around my house, some of which are very nice models.
I don't have any, so that's why I really want the original Enterprise sooner than later.

I mean, I have an Akira class on my shelf! Do you know how long i've been wanting one of those that didn't cost close to £100 for a resin kit?
Oh, yeah. The Akira was a big reason why I subscribed in the first place. It showed me that they weren't just dealing with the standard ships that have been released a million times. This collection is going to set the bar for any future starship collection.

And being 19 issues in - every single one has been fine to amazing (except maybe the TMP Enterprise, but everyone hates that).
Agreed x1000. This collection will have me keeping a closer eye on anything Eaglemoss puts out in the future.
Old May 10 2014, 04:43 AM   #1103
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I'm curious how they'll handle even more obscure ships, like the Enterprise-J or the Centaur, which were only seen for a few seconds in each of their appearances, and have very little background information on them. I'm especially interested in what they'll have in the magazines. There are a lot of pages to fill...
Old May 10 2014, 05:04 AM   #1104
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

I'm very interested in the Centaur. I know it's nothing but a kitbash, but I love the way it's designed.

As for how the magazines will be filled? The Borg Sphere had a few parts just talking about the Borg in general. The Ferengi Marauder, Romulan Warbird and Jem'Hadar Battlecruiser did the same thing. But those were alien ships. With the Enterprise-J and Centaur? The Centaur magazine may talk a little about the Dominion War since that's when we saw that ship. And the Enterprise-J magazine could talk about the Sphere Builders.
Old May 10 2014, 08:04 AM   #1105
Ethros
Vice Admiral

As for everyone bitching about the Stargazer model having the reverse registry on the underside? Well, so did the studio model. That pretty much leaves the odd misspelling or reverse text - most of which barely register a millimeter in font size.
Just for the record, as I mentioned this, I wasn't bitching about it, I was just asking if everyone else's was the same or if mine was a mistake or something
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 08:15 AM   #1106
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

yes us aussies got the bird of prey.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 02:29 PM   #1107
Dac
Commodore

Ethros wrote: View Post
As for everyone bitching about the Stargazer model having the reverse registry on the underside? Well, so did the studio model. That pretty much leaves the odd misspelling or reverse text - most of which barely register a millimeter in font size.
Just for the record, as I mentioned this, I wasn't bitching about it, I was just asking if everyone else's was the same or if mine was a mistake or something
Oh, I wasn't mentioning any specific people here. Tbh I only found this thread last night. I check the official collection's Facebook page often though, so thats where I've seen the most complaints over so many minor things its driving me nuts.
Old May 10 2014, 02:33 PM   #1108
Dac
Commodore

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I'm curious how they'll handle even more obscure ships, like the Enterprise-J or the Centaur, which were only seen for a few seconds in each of their appearances, and have very little background information on them. I'm especially interested in what they'll have in the magazines. There are a lot of pages to fill...
I imagine they'll devote a lot of pages to the episodes they were from. For example, the Ent-J was slap bang in the middle of the Xindi arc. Plus its from an alternate future that may or may not happen to boot, they could probably do a feature on the Alt ships like the Future Enterprise-D (which they didn't do a magazine for) and Pasteur etc. Throw in some copy and paste stuff from Doug Drexler's Drex Files to accompany some renderings and concept sketches and that's most of the magazine filled right there. Maybe a page about Daniels and the Temporal Cold War too.
Old May 10 2014, 05:22 PM   #1109
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I'm not gonna be getting too excited about the Enterprise-C and J etc yet anyway, at it's current 2-week release schedule it'll still take up to late February 2015 to get to the end of its confirmed run (issue 40- Enterprise B)
http://www.startrek.com/article/firs...ons-enterprise
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 01:45 AM   #1110
Tarheel
Lieutenant Commander

View Tarheel's Twitter Profile

Markonian wrote: View Post
I wonder what the odds are of Eaglemoss taking up some Expanded Universe ships, like the Aventine, Titan, the NX-class refit (called Columbia-class in ENT: Rise of the Federation) and STO's Enterprise-F? There are some cool models out there waiting to happen.
I would love Titan and Aventine as well. Definitely high on my list, even above a lot of the on-screen ships that they have scheduled.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote