RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,683
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 424
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 17 2014, 07:07 PM   #916
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I think the most noticeable difference is the paint scheme. IIRC, the NEM version has a darker, more detailed paint scheme than FC.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 09:33 PM   #917
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

The E-E changed between movies in a few ways:

1. In each movie, the warp nacelles were moved slightly higher above the line of the saucer. In FC, they lined up with the saucer. In INS, they were lined up with that 'shelf' halfway up the saucer height. By NEM they were raised to being in line with the top of the bridge dome.

2. In INS, the under-saucer torpedo launcher was replaced by the captain's yacht.

3. In NEM, the model was upgraded to include all sorts of extra torpedo launchers and phaser strips.

I like the look of the ship by NEM. I prefer my ships to be bristling with weapons. Space is a dangerous place, be prepared...

"Space is disease and death wrapped in darkness and silence." - Cadet Leonard McCoy, AU 2255
Old March 18 2014, 01:45 AM   #918
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The FC-E was very, very white. The nacelles were far chunkier, lower, further back. Less weapons and less detail.

In INS she was given a paint scheme and the upgrades mentioned above, but the CGI was not so good, so the detail was washed out or hard to see.

NEM gave her the weapons, new nacelles pushed forward, lovely new colour scheme (as in having one at all) and swept the saucer into the stardrive better.

But they've gone with the '96 white chunky version, no thanks.
Old March 18 2014, 07:21 AM   #919
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
With all of the above that should cover all the main Federation starships, without getting into the really obscure ones. Centaur class would be nice but may be asking a bit too much, especially since they would have to somehow fill 20 pages on it!
I've never bought these so I don't know, is that what they each come with, a 20 page magazine?
Well I can see how they could fill up the ones on say the Enterprises, Voyager, Defiant, etc. And ones like Cardassian and Klingon ships have been seen dozens of times.

But what did they do for the Akira? It's never really dominantly seen tbh, not for more than a few seconds anyway. Really only ever seen the in the background of battle scenes from FC and DS9, and then VOY: Message in a Bottle.

Also the Borg sphere, how many different angles can you show of a sphere?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 02:23 PM   #920
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

They put a lot of production notes in there. Info from the ship's creater, Alex Yeager, and such. It's pretty much everything that had been published previously in both the Official Star Trek Magazine and the Official Star Trek Fact Files (the latter also by Eaglemoss).
Old March 19 2014, 10:07 PM   #921
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Ethros wrote: View Post
Couldn't find the Equinox in town today, there where 2 NuPrises though. Going to keep looking.
My friend posted that picture of his USS Equinox on facebook nearly 3 weeks ago (20 Feb), yet when I went to Forbidden Planet last Wednesday (5 March) they were only up to the Cardassian Galor class with what was on sale.
So I'm not sure how it works, I guess some subscribers get stuff earlier than the shops?
My local FP has been terrible at getting any of them in, two or three weeks ago I checked again, they still just have the BoP and NX-01.
I see what you mean, I went into mine again today just to see what they had and there wasn't an issue on sale. I asked the guy and he said they only get 2-3 issues in of it. And I looked in WHSmith but they didn't have it at all either.

I fancied getting the Equinox, so I've just ordered it from the Eaglemoss website (along with the Akira while I was there )
So let's see how long they take to arrive...

How much are they normally in shops btw? On the site they were £9.99 each, with £1 for p&p

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
It's pretty much everything that had been published previously in both the Official Star Trek Magazine and the Official Star Trek Fact Files (the latter also by Eaglemoss).
I remember the Fact Files were published by GE Fabbri... but investigating I see Eaglemoss merged with them in 2011
Old March 19 2014, 10:13 PM   #922
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

£9.99 for any issue I've gotten in Easons, £9.49 for FP website.
Old March 19 2014, 10:24 PM   #923
Yanks
Fleet Captain

I received my replacement DS9.

One of the lower pylons wasn't attached.

A little superglue and we're good as new.
Old March 20 2014, 02:37 AM   #924
Kpnuts
Commodore

My friend posted that picture of his USS Equinox on facebook nearly 3 weeks ago (20 Feb), yet when I went to Forbidden Planet last Wednesday (5 March) they were only up to the Cardassian Galor class with what was on sale.
So I'm not sure how it works, I guess some subscribers get stuff earlier than the shops?
My local FP has been terrible at getting any of them in, two or three weeks ago I checked again, they still just have the BoP and NX-01.
I see what you mean, I went into mine again today just to see what they had and there wasn't an issue on sale. I asked the guy and he said they only get 2-3 issues in of it. And I looked in WHSmith but they didn't have it at all either.

I fancied getting the Equinox, so I've just ordered it from the Eaglemoss website (along with the Akira while I was there )
So let's see how long they take to arrive...

How much are they normally in shops btw? On the site they were £9.99 each, with £1 for p&p

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
It's pretty much everything that had been published previously in both the Official Star Trek Magazine and the Official Star Trek Fact Files (the latter also by Eaglemoss).
I remember the Fact Files were published by GE Fabbri... but investigating I see Eaglemoss merged with them in 2011
Word of advice, NEVER order from their website. Always ring up and order over the phone. It'll take a month or two otherwise.

Three separate customer service reps have told me it's much much better to order through them than on their website.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 03:17 AM   #925
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Oh well, too late now. I can wait I suppose.
Must be a bit of a dodgy company, who rings up to order anything nowadays? Everything's online.
Old March 20 2014, 10:41 AM   #926
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

£9.49 for FP website.
Plus two quid postage and packing.

^ Oh well, too late now. I can wait I suppose.
Must be a bit of a dodgy company, who rings up to order anything nowadays? Everything's online.
Not everyone and I sure as hell don't think a company is dodgy if they do orders over the phone, is kinda refreshing actually.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 10:45 AM   #927
Kpnuts
Commodore

Nebula class looks great

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/201...view-plus.html
Old March 20 2014, 02:34 PM   #928
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Yes it does. Definitely looks like the Bonchune-type CG version.
Old March 20 2014, 06:24 PM   #929
Kpnuts
Commodore

Yeah definitely the nicer design! I love the Nebula. Back when the designers weren't afraid to try something different to the standard Enterprise-style hull geometry, ie. Nova, Prometheus, Dauntless that all look so similar in terms of basic shape.

Anyway given it's quite a comparatively short/wide design, the model should be quite large Unlike the Excelsior which looks tiny thanks to the elongated design.
Old March 20 2014, 11:04 PM   #930
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I do like the Nebula class, but to be fair isn't it really just the TNG version of a Miranda class? ie in terms of its basic design