TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 7 2014, 04:06 AM   #856
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I love these model ships.
Old March 7 2014, 07:50 AM   #857
Pilot Ace
Captain

Frontier wrote: View Post
Why Opt Out?

There are a fair number of oft-made ships I really don't need a seventh or twelfth copy of, for one thing. How many Enterprise-D or Klingon bird of prey or Reliant's does one person really need?

If I could do such - skip over those? - I would. Less because of the expense more because... I just don't care about those ships anymore. I literally have the 1701-D in every size from the tiny micro ornament that's about 2-3 centimeters in size, to micro machine, to model, up through a 6 foot long inflatable pool raft. I could lay them all next to each other, all 20-odd of them, and it would look like those stacking doll things, you know? :P

Anyway, the reason I'd like to not waste the money on the Abramsprise is simply... I don't like it. Not enough to pay $20 for it, let alone $37 for a bigger copy.

I, like I think a great many people, are enthusiastic about this line of ships not because we get a new 1701-D or Romulan Warbird or Bird of Prey or 1701-A. But because we finally get an Akira, and a Borg Sphere, the Equinox, the Prometheus, the Dominion battle cruiser, and a whole boat load of one-off ships we've never seen. That's why I signed up. And I think a lot of others did so for the same reason.

We've all got 6 or 10 or 20 versions of the big hero ships they make over and over and over and over and over again. What we WANT is the ones we've never been given before. :9
I'm right with you (despite wanting some of the more common ships that have been made) until the specific mention of the sphere. Who in their right mind was enthusiastic about the Borg Sphere issue?
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 10:15 AM   #858
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Why Opt Out?
Space. Money and just plain design aesthetics!

Anyway, I now have the Nova Class and the Nu-Prise which are both pretty cool.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 10:18 AM   #859
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
There are quite a lot of Enterprises listed in the series:

TOS 1701
Nuprise 1701
Refit 1701

A, B, C, D, E, J and NX-01
Pretty much all of them that have appeared on screen in one form or another then.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 03:36 PM   #860
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post
Why Opt Out?
If I could do such - skip over those? - I would. Less because of the expense more because... I just don't care about those ships anymore.
Anyway, the reason I'd like to not waste the money on the Abramsprise is simply...
I'm right with you (despite wanting some of the more common ships that have been made)...
Everything mentioned here is possible. Opt out of the NuPrise special issue and cancel your subscription and buy the issues individually either through a comic shop or their online site.

I understand where you're coming from, but what you're suggesting is very much possible. I don't think it's fair to continually state that it's not possible when, in fact, it is possible, but simply requires a little extra work of ordering the issues individually.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 03:51 PM   #861
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Or just keep the issues you don't want in a magazine bag with cardboard backing, keep the model in its original packaging, sell it on eBay and make back your money - maybe even a little extra. There are people out there outside the UK, US and Canada that would pay top dollar (or yen, lyra, rupee or whatever) for these things where they're not available. T'aint hard...
Old March 7 2014, 07:23 PM   #862
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Article on the NuPrise special, along with the CG models of issues 1-40

http://www.startrek.com/article/firs...ons-enterprise
Old March 8 2014, 08:02 PM   #863
Pilot Ace
Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Everything mentioned here is possible. Opt out of the NuPrise special issue and cancel your subscription and buy the issues individually either through a comic shop or their online site.

I understand where you're coming from, but what you're suggesting is very much possible. I don't think it's fair to continually state that it's not possible when, in fact, it is possible, but simply requires a little extra work of ordering the issues individually.
Must be nice to have a specialty shop nearby that you like!
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 07:43 AM   #864
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I'm right with you (despite wanting some of the more common ships that have been made) until the specific mention of the sphere. Who in their right mind was enthusiastic about the Borg Sphere issue?
It didn't look to appealing at first, I admit. I mean, I wanted it from a "they haven't done it before" point of view (well they did a big toy for FC but...) but anyway, after getting it though, I think it's quite nice. I like it. I'd much prefer to get silly ships we haven't had before than get another BoP or E-D or Reliant.

Why Opt Out?
If I could do such - skip over those? - I would. Less because of the expense more because... I just don't care about those ships anymore.
Anyway, the reason I'd like to not waste the money on the Abramsprise is simply...
I'm right with you (despite wanting some of the more common ships that have been made)...

It's possible - but it's a shitload more complicated and time-consuming and delaying to do. So... why would anyone do that?

Subscription = no effort, no thought, auto-bill and delivery.

Canceling = monthly effort, monthly thought, monthly shipping fees (because unless you life in a major city you don't have a store you can buy these things at) and... yeah. That's just... no.

Now if they had a website where you could log-in and check off an "opt-out" button on a ship-by-ship basis? I'd love that. I'd do that.

Short of that? I'll just keep on with my convenient subscription and resell what I dislike.

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Or just keep the issues you don't want in a magazine bag with cardboard backing, keep the model in its original packaging, sell it on eBay and make back your money - maybe even a little extra. There are people out there outside the UK, US and Canada that would pay top dollar (or yen, lyra, rupee or whatever) for these things where they're not available. T'aint hard...
I do plan to do just that, quite likely.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 07:44 AM   #865
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Anyone else notice the Equinox is actually the Rhode Island? Or that the Maquis ship is upside down? Hope those are just CGI/site glitches and not actual model issues...

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 09:03 AM   #866
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Anyone else notice the Equinox is actually the Rhode Island?
Shiiit, I hadn't. Not only the registry, but the bridge module and bow too. Call me weird, but I do want the Equinox, but couldn't give a toss for the Rhode Island.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 09:33 AM   #867
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Anyone else notice the Equinox is actually the Rhode Island? Or that the Maquis ship is upside down? Hope those are just CGI/site glitches and not actual model issues...
The Equinox is already out, so don't panic
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 10:30 AM   #868
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Panic cancelled.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 03:03 PM   #869
trekker670
Fleet Captain

It's possible - but it's a shitload more complicated and time-consuming and delaying to do. So... why would anyone do that?

Subscription = no effort, no thought, auto-bill and delivery.

Canceling = monthly effort, monthly thought, monthly shipping fees (because unless you life in a major city you don't have a store you can buy these things at) and... yeah. That's just... no.

Now if they had a website where you could log-in and check off an "opt-out" button on a ship-by-ship basis? I'd love that. I'd do that.
They would do that if they wanted to pick and choose which issues they received.

The definition of a subscription is (emphasis added):
a payment or promise of payment for consecutive issues of a magazine, newspaper, book, etc, over a specified period of time
That's how the industry works. If customers don't like that model, they're free to end their subscription and purchase the individual issues (with added cost/effort, as others have noted), but the publishers are not going to change the entire industry, when the only affect of the change is to lose sales because of it. You'll be buying fewer issues with your proposed model, so there's no incentive for them to change.
Old March 10 2014, 06:31 PM   #870
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I'd be tempted to start this collection but it's probably too late now, and also I think I'd just get the Starfleet ships- can't say I'm bothered about some of the alien vessels like the Klingon and Romulan ships. And especially the Borg Sphere!
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote