Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 3 2014, 02:27 PM   #841
trekker670
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
mswood wrote: View Post
When are we given the ability to opt out? I just got ds9 the only reason I knew to expect it was the bank charge.
If it works like in the UK, you should receive an email giving you advance notice of the special issue and specifying the date by which you must contact them if you do not want to receive it. You might want to check that Eaglemoss have your correct email address.
Exactly this.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 03:28 PM   #842
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

I don't know why anyone would opt out of the special issues besides price/budget reasons.

Why sign up for a subscription to the Starship of the Month Club if you're not gonna "catch 'em all"?
Old March 4 2014, 03:51 AM   #843
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Made room for more!
Old March 4 2014, 04:28 AM   #844
Pilot Ace
Captain

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
I don't know why anyone would opt out of the special issues besides price/budget reasons.

Why sign up for a subscription to the Starship of the Month Club if you're not gonna "catch 'em all"?
I wish I could opt out of some regular issues, but I don't want to rely on a comic/specialty shop to order them. I am still baffled a whole issue wasted on a Borg Sphere.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 09:26 PM   #845
Luminus
Fleet Captain

I just got Issue #2 & #3. A klingon bird-of-prey and what amounts to the Enterprise refit, which is just listed as the Enterprise. Is that a mistake? Anyway, I noticed the nacelles were broken off right where they had been glued on. Disappointing. They need to package these things better, considering their delicate nature. I could easily fix it with some crazy glue, but come on.

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:14 PM   #846
trekker670
Captain

Luminus wrote: View Post
I just got Issue #2 & #3. A klingon bird-of-prey and what amounts to the Enterprise refit, which is just listed as the Enterprise. Is that a mistake?
No, the Enterprise Refit (as you say it) is the Enterprise. They are the same ship.

Anyway, I noticed the nacelles were broken off right where they had been glued on. Disappointing. They need to package these things better, considering their delicate nature. I could easily fix it with some crazy glue, but come on.
That's the nature of using binding two different materials. Metal and plastic are renowned for being difficult to bind. Combine that with the fact that these are being transported in the cold (if you're from the US, they're coming from PA) and you increase the chances of the glue not holding. Contact Eaglemoss and they'll replace it, if you're unable/unwilling to glue it yourself.
Old March 5 2014, 04:45 AM   #847
Luminus
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post

No, the Enterprise Refit (as you say it) is the Enterprise. They are the same ship.
Look at the first picture in your link and the last picture in your link. The ships have a different look, particularly in the nacelles and the deflector dish.

Old March 5 2014, 03:02 PM   #848
trekker670
Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post

Look at the first picture in your link and the last picture in your link. The ships have a different look, particularly in the nacelles and the deflector dish.
I never said the Enterprise never changed in appearance, I said that they are the same ship.

If I paint my car and install new headlights, while the car looks different than it did before, it's still the same physical car.

So, while Eaglemoss may not have been precise when simply calling the release the "Enterprise," they weren't wrong. It is, in fact, The Enterprise (no bloody A, B, C, or D)
Old March 5 2014, 04:00 PM   #849
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Exactly. In fact, I believe the "A" is scheduled for a later release in the series. Hopefully, with a more accurate design, slimmer grid lines and correct-looking nacelles and not just a repaint of the original.
Old March 5 2014, 04:36 PM   #850
trekker670
Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ Exactly. In fact, I believe the "A" is scheduled for a later release in the series. Hopefully, with a more accurate design, slimmer grid lines and correct-looking nacelles and not just a repaint of the original.
Yes, the E-A is scheduled for a later release (tentatively #63) and I have heard that it will be more accurate. IIRC, the E-A was their "prototype" and while the results weren't bad they weren't completely satisfied, so they switched some of their methods to get the higher quality that we see with the other releases.

Also, the TOS style Enterprise is also scheduled for a later release, (tentatively #69).
Old March 6 2014, 01:47 PM   #851
Luminus
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=trekker670;9323887]
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post

Also, the TOS style Enterprise is also scheduled for a later release, (tentatively #69).

This was the point. I asked them about it, and haven't gotten a response yet. Thank you for answering that. In the world of collecting, they are 2 different ships. Just like a blue-suited Batman is the same as a black-suited Batman, but in the collecting world they are 2 different figures.

Old March 6 2014, 03:17 PM   #852
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

There are quite a lot of Enterprises listed in the series:

TOS 1701
Nuprise 1701
Refit 1701

A, B, C, D, E, J and NX-01
Old March 6 2014, 04:20 PM   #853
mythme
Commodore

If I have to get yet another TOS Enterprise, I hope they opt for "The Cage" version, with the spike nacelle caps and the big deflector dish.
Old March 6 2014, 08:05 PM   #854
insomniac
Ensign

I just signed up for the Canadian version of this about 2 weeks ago. The website list shipping starting in spring. Has anyone heard a more specific date than sometime between March and the End of June?
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:11 AM   #855
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Why Opt Out?

There are a fair number of oft-made ships I really don't need a seventh or twelfth copy of, for one thing. How many Enterprise-D or Klingon bird of prey or Reliant's does one person really need?

If I could do such - skip over those? - I would. Less because of the expense more because... I just don't care about those ships anymore. I literally have the 1701-D in every size from the tiny micro ornament that's about 2-3 centimeters in size, to micro machine, to model, up through a 6 foot long inflatable pool raft. I could lay them all next to each other, all 20-odd of them, and it would look like those stacking doll things, you know? :P

Anyway, the reason I'd like to not waste the money on the Abramsprise is simply... I don't like it. Not enough to pay $20 for it, let alone $37 for a bigger copy.

I, like I think a great many people, are enthusiastic about this line of ships not because we get a new 1701-D or Romulan Warbird or Bird of Prey or 1701-A. But because we finally get an Akira, and a Borg Sphere, the Equinox, the Prometheus, the Dominion battle cruiser, and a whole boat load of one-off ships we've never seen. That's why I signed up. And I think a lot of others did so for the same reason.

We've all got 6 or 10 or 20 versions of the big hero ships they make over and over and over and over and over again. What we WANT is the ones we've never been given before. :9

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote