Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 15 2014, 03:25 AM   #781
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Got my Defiant and Borg sphere in the mail today.

Defiant looks nice (I don't mind the backward decal).

The Borg sphere is kind of bland though. Pretty much just a black ball with some green speckling.
Old February 15 2014, 03:20 PM   #782
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Luminus wrote: View Post
So, I've gotten my first shipment, today. The Enterprise D. What's interesting about the magazine it comes with is the listing about the Borg. It says the Enterprise D was the first Starfleet vessel to survive an encounter with the Borg. Which is interesting, because, technically, it was the Enterprise NX-01, and then the Raven, and then the Enterprise D.

So, I've forced myself to continue watching Doctor Who and I'm warming up to it. I'm still put off by the goofiness, but episodes with the Daleks and Cybermen are making up for them.
I had an interesting thought.

What if when Q introduced the "D" to the borg, he also flung them back in time? That would solve a bunch of problems.
Old February 15 2014, 05:35 PM   #783
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post
So, I've gotten my first shipment, today. The Enterprise D. What's interesting about the magazine it comes with is the listing about the Borg. It says the Enterprise D was the first Starfleet vessel to survive an encounter with the Borg. Which is interesting, because, technically, it was the Enterprise NX-01, and then the Raven, and then the Enterprise D.

So, I've forced myself to continue watching Doctor Who and I'm warming up to it. I'm still put off by the goofiness, but episodes with the Daleks and Cybermen are making up for them.

What if when Q introduced the "D" to the borg, he also flung them back in time? That would solve a bunch of problems.
No, that would cause a bigger problem because then the borg would be aware of the Federation decades earlier. It would only be a year until that cube reached past Earth and assimilated it.

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 06:13 PM   #784
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post

No, that would cause a bigger problem because then the borg would be aware of the Federation decades earlier. It would only be a year until that cube reached past Earth and assimilated it.
Yeah, I guess your right
Old February 15 2014, 08:19 PM   #785
Caesar753
Commander

How are you displaying your ships? I'm looking for a display case, but I can't seem to find one I'm satisfied with.
I got one of these from Ikea and I really like how it looks. I think the open back and sides, as well as the glass shelves make it easier to see all the ships.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50214678/
Caesar753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 04:17 PM   #786
Caesar753
Commander

Got my Defiant and Borg Sphere today. I think the Defiant is one of my favorite models so far. It's highly detailed and has a great paint job. The backwards decal on the port nacelle is a bummer, but overall I still think it's a great model.
Caesar753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 08:59 PM   #787
Tarheel
Lieutenant

View Tarheel's Twitter Profile

I just placed my initial order and I'm excited to start this collection. I've recently been drawn back to Trek after several years as just a casual fan. I have to admit, I would have gone crazy over this product back when I was more of a super-fan in the 80's and 90's.

I've seen some mention of the Furata line of models and I've been checking them out on eBay and the Wikis. Can anyone with both products give a comparison? Are they worth hunting or is the new set better? I'm curious.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 01:16 PM   #788
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Caesar753 wrote: View Post
How are you displaying your ships? I'm looking for a display case, but I can't seem to find one I'm satisfied with.
I got one of these from Ikea and I really like how it looks. I think the open back and sides, as well as the glass shelves make it easier to see all the ships.

I've seen that one. The problem is that it's open to the air, which will cause my ships to become dusty and open to other people touching. It also doesn't have lighting, which is something I'm looking for.

Old February 17 2014, 01:20 PM   #789
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Tarheel wrote: View Post
I just placed my initial order and I'm excited to start this collection. I've recently been drawn back to Trek after several years as just a casual fan. I have to admit, I would have gone crazy over this product back when I was more of a super-fan in the 80's and 90's.

I've seen some mention of the Furata line of models and I've been checking them out on eBay and the Wikis. Can anyone with both products give a comparison? Are they worth hunting or is the new set better? I'm curious.
Well, their Borg sphere certainly looks better and I like their stands. I'm thinking of replacing my sphere when it comes with a better one from a different company. I'm also looking for a way to replace the stands with the ones from Hot Wheels, which are fantastic.

Old February 17 2014, 08:27 PM   #790
drt
Commander

These new Eaglemoss ones are much better. The Furata and Konami ships are all plastic, and as little kits, I find the final build quality is a bit spotty, fit isn't great (particularly on the Furuta's I have), and it isn't uncommon to get warped nacelle struts, etc. Overall, the Konami ones are a little better in my opinion. There's a third Japanese party that makes candy toy Trek ships, but I can't remember the brand, nor do I have any of those to comment.

Caesar753 wrote: View Post

I've seen that one. The problem is that it's open to the air, which will cause my ships to become dusty and open to other people touching. It also doesn't have lighting, which is something I'm looking for.
I can recommend this one:

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/10119206/

I believe that Ikea also sells lighting that's compatible with it.

I'm also looking for a way to replace the stands with the ones from Hot Wheels, which are fantastic.
I'm not a big fan of the stands from the 2009 ships, I've found that the translucent plastic tends to warp over time and make the ships droopy (I've also seen numerous complaints about breakage, which I fear is in the future for the stand of my refit E).
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 06:47 AM   #791
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

mtblillie wrote: View Post
For all the Canadians interested, here is some good news:

http://www.startrek.com/article/star...-now-in-canada
Excellent! Subscribed!

Although I will say, there is something psychological going on that makes me kind of unhappy about paying $50/month, but the thought of $40/month didn't bother me. Weird, I know. And I guess I don't have any room to complain, the way the Canadian dollar has been going lately... even though using the actual current exchange rate should have resulted in a price of around $44/month. (And I would have been complaining vociferously if the $25/issue price point had been set when the dollars were at par... even though you know they would have done it anyway, because everyone always does... )

Now the only bad part is I'm going to be like 10 or 15 issues behind everyone else in this thread!
Old February 18 2014, 10:43 AM   #792
Luminus
Fleet Captain

drt wrote: View Post

That looks good, but is it big enough for this collection?

I'm not a big fan of the stands from the 2009 ships, I've found that the translucent plastic tends to warp over time and make the ships droopy (I've also seen numerous complaints about breakage, which I fear is in the future for the stand of my refit E).
Well, thAt's disappointing.

Old February 18 2014, 04:42 PM   #793
drt
Commander

That looks good, but is it big enough for this collection?
The distance between the shelves is probably excessive considering the ships aren't really that tall. However, there are numerous online tutorials that show ways to add extra shelves. I think with six interior shelves, one could easily fit 48-56 ships (8 or 9 per shelf) without it looking too cluttered.

Well, thAt's disappointing.
I noticed they went away from the translucent plastic for the 2013 releases, so we'll see how those hold up.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:16 AM   #794
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Frontier wrote: View Post
Haven't gotten the Defiant and Sphere yet, despite being charged for it at least 2 weeks ago. I blame this weather, but I'm still worried. :S
Finally got them the other day. Damn weather really delayed them. So much so that I got them and then today was charged for this next months. So it basically took a MONTH for them to get here this time. Usually only takes 10 days or so. I blame the weather, well and truly.

Can't wait for next month! (this month)!

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:18 AM   #795
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

The Furuta stuff was a nice place-holder while waiting for someone to do them right, like Eaglemoss is now. Don't waste the time/money on them at this point though.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote