Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 12 2014, 04:51 AM   #691
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

^^^ I believe those weapon arrays are located on the three tiny curved splines that are on the outside of the inner ring.
Old January 12 2014, 05:54 AM   #692
mythme
Commodore

The arrays wouldn't be there if the model represents DS9 prior to the 3rd Season. Sisko asked them to be installed after the Odyssey was destroyed by the Dominion.
Old January 12 2014, 08:33 AM   #693
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Got mine this week. Lovely! DS9 is great. Though the inward bowing of the lower pylons bugs me. It was visible in all the early pics, and I hoped they'd find a fix, but I guess it was a need of the stability. I know DS9 isn't physically the most resilient. The playmates one made back in the day has a stand you rest it upon from the central core, as the lower pylons can't hold it's weight either. And though it's been a while I think the models over the years also had similar issues. Like how most models of the Enterprise-A suffered from nacelle pylon issues.

Either way, it's great to have another physical instance of DS9. Only had the micro-machine, the Furuta (they did make such, didn't they?), and the Playmates until now.

My cat also enjoyed this issue due to the larger size box it all came in :P

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 02:53 PM   #694
Yanks
Fleet Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ I believe those weapon arrays are located on the three tiny curved splines that are on the outside of the inner ring.
mythme wrote: View Post
The arrays wouldn't be there if the model represents DS9 prior to the 3rd Season. Sisko asked them to be installed after the Odyssey was destroyed by the Dominion.
I understand that. Just thought they'd be there.

I just received an email back from Eaglemoss about my broken DS9.

They've already scheduled another one to be shipped to me. (and I don't have to ship the other one back)

My experience has been great with these guys.
Old January 13 2014, 03:13 AM   #695
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

For any Canadian fans that may still be interested in this, 8of5's Trek Collective site is reporting that one of his contacts indicated that Eaglemoss told the contact that the collection will be launching in Canada in February. Link

I'm hoping this is true... but it seems to be cutting it awfully fine considering there has been no announcement yet, and they haven't started taking Canadian subscriptions yet either.
Old January 13 2014, 04:05 AM   #696
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

To the UK(ers?) that already have the "next month and a half's" ships, how does the package the Borg Sphere come in compare to the other packaging? Is it the same size of what we're used to, or is it an awkward size like DS9's?
Old January 13 2014, 07:52 AM   #697
Kinggodzillak
Commander

It's a bit smaller than usual.
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 04:31 PM   #698
mythme
Commodore

speaking of boxes - I had display space set aside for the ships. I forgot to anticipate where to store all these dang boxes
Old January 13 2014, 08:06 PM   #699
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

Got my K'Tinga, Excelsior and DS9 today. The bottom array on DS9 was a bit crooked with the base of the station, but not enough to worry about. The top Command structure was too, but again, just barely...you have to eyeball the gap between it and the station, and it's probably not a half degree off, but you can just tell, that it's not level.

The K'Tinga is a nice model, however the neck was a bit more flimsy than I thought it'd be. That and the front Command section is the plastic resin part. Even the rear of the ship doesn't feel all that metallic. The paint job is a metal flake battleship grey. I wished it had the maroonish wing highlights like Kronus One did, but if they were just going for the TMP look, I can understand why they left it all grey. Actually the paint detailing job up front is a bit lacking. No window detail in the curved front rim or the command tower.

The Excelsior has a really nice paint job for the size it is. Even has aztecing even while the saucer is actually smaller than the Ent-Refit. The whole model itself is rather small. The problem being the length of the nacelles which dictated the size of the model to stay within the max length. The thing is that the nacelles hang out the back of the stand, while the saucer is a bit short on the front side, so I'm thinking that they could have enlarged the model a bit if they moved the mounting position a bit forward.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 01:34 PM   #700
RAMA
Vice Admiral

In the packaging:

Opened:

Aside from The E-D and NX, I'm mostly interested in less common ships. Of those coming up, I want the Romulan Warbird and the Akira Class!

Last edited by RAMA; January 14 2014 at 01:52 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 06:01 AM   #701
Caesar753
Commander

My K'Tinga, Excelsior, and DS9 arrived safely today. I must say I am impressed with all of them. It seems like a few people got broken DS9s, but I didn't have any problem with mine.
Caesar753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 09:12 AM   #702
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

A preview of some of the concept art from the forthcoming reboot Enterprise issue is here.
Old January 15 2014, 03:29 PM   #703
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Still waiting on mine. I had to change my CC info due to the insipid Target hack fiasco - they processed the charge immediately after 2.5 weeks ago and haven't seen anything. I hope I don't miss anything in this subscription because the idiot IT droids at Target couldn't employ good security practices. I still can't fathom why they apparently stored debit card PIN numbers, encrypted or not...

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; January 15 2014 at 03:45 PM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 10:49 PM   #704
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

It was like Christmas morning today getting my 3 models in the mail!

Deep Space 9: Was looking forward to this one for a very long time and it surpassed my expectations. I can see why this was a special issue, since it's so huge. The bottom part of the center part was slightly crooked, but it's only really noticeable if you are looking closely. The only disappointment I really have with it is the lack of display stand. I know it can be displayed standing on its lower pylons, but I still would've liked a stand.

K'Tinga-class Battlecruiser: This has always been my favorite Klingon ship design and I got really excited pulling it out of its box. I love it! It definitely ranks high for the models released so far.

U.S.S. Excelsior: This was another one I was excited about. And while it looks nice, I wasn't too impressed with it. It's kind of small, so the details weren't the best. I do appreciate the aztecing, though. So far, the late 23rd century Starfleet ships have been most disappointing. And we have another Constitution and Excelsior class coming up! I hope that when the Enterprise-A and B are released that they can make up for these earlier models.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 11:07 PM   #705
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Hmmm...The Excelsior and K'T'inga arrived for me today but no DS9. Hoping it's in a second shipment not far behind.