Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 10 2013, 05:01 AM   #571
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Saw this too...hopefully the paint job gets improved. Needs some blue in there somewhere don't it?
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 05:50 AM   #572
Sans
Lieutenant

I do believe so. I really don't like how they just upscaled the Vfx to make the ship look bigger. The only reason I'll be getting this one is so I can have the complete collection.
Sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 11:50 AM   #573
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: FIRST LOOK: Starships Collection Star Trek (2009) U.S.S. Enterpris

Sans wrote: View Post
Star Trek The Official Starships Collection, with their first special in UK stores this week and in the US early next year, has provided StarTrek.com with an exclusive First Look at their next special: the Enterprise from Star Trek (2009).

Remember, it's a First Look; the model is still a work in progress.

Read the rest here
Nice! I never expected to see new movie ships in this collection. And I love that they're making it in-scale with their classic movie Enterprise (725m vs 305m). Maybe we'll get some technical specs in the magazine, like with the other ships? Woohoo!

(now I want a 14" USS Vengeance, to scale with the new 8" Enterprise!)
Old December 10 2013, 03:09 PM   #574
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

They may finally have to fess up about this Enterprise's true dimensions. It will be as close to "official" as we're ever going to get, considering it's a licensed product. Should be interesting, if not amusing.
Old December 10 2013, 06:48 PM   #575
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

Attn. US subscribers -- Warbird and Voyager arriving

Just got my Voyager and Warbird today. So, BOLO for yours. Will be adding pics to my FB Gallery soon.

https://www.facebook.com/david.molin...9241087&type=3

Edit: Pics are up.

I must also testify that the ships don't stay in their stands that well. The Voyager is loose in the stand, and slips out easily due to the center of gravity being far forward of that. And the Warbird has some friction to it, but due to the center of gravity being forward of that...again, it slips out.

Quality of models is great. Both in paint job and mesh. Even though the Voyager has no Aztec-ing, the details that are painted in really bring out some detail that you probably wouldn't expect. The bottom side is actually more attractive than the top side. Nacelles on mine seem to be perfect. No crookedness or anything.

The Warbird, has a nice "dirtied up" look to its paint job. And the yellow window detail is quite good as well. The side nacelles are solid (no green transparent plastic) Would have been cool if they had been though.

Last edited by Johnny Rico; December 10 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old December 10 2013, 08:09 PM   #576
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Was about to come on here and say that I got mine today, as well. Wasn't expecting them yet, so that's cool. I got them at work, though, so I have to wait to really examine them.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 08:36 PM   #577
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
Was about to come on here and say that I got mine today, as well. Wasn't expecting them yet, so that's cool. I got them at work, though, so I have to wait to really examine them.
Yeah, surprised me too. I wasn't expecting them till next week at the earliest.
Old December 10 2013, 08:41 PM   #578
trekker670
Captain

Yeah, given the previous releases, I was expecting late this week (Thursday or Friday) at the earliest. I've noticed a lot of people complaining on their FB about delayed shipments (by delayed I mean "My friend got theirs two days ago, but I just got mine today" type complaints) so they may be trying to address this.
trekker670 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 08:52 PM   #579
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

Judging from what I've seen on here and on FB, people haven't even received some of the earlier issues. Biggest problem seems to be in the UK. Don't know why that may be, but I'm guessing a different style of postal service? I could be wrong though.
Old December 11 2013, 03:48 PM   #580
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

The postal service here in the UK gets a bit bunged up around Christmas. In the past, I've had parcels delivered several weeks late either because they got overlooked in a sorting shed or the weather was apparently too bad for the postmen to do their round.
Old December 11 2013, 04:27 PM   #581
trekker670
Captain

That is one good thing the USPS is good for:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.
trekker670 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 11:57 PM   #582
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

I worked Campus Mail when I was in college nearly 20 years ago. (dating myself....) Everyday we got everything we received from the Post Office out that day. Including all packages. The only time we didn't is during Christmas Break when we had several days off and there was a back log of mail and packages. And even then, we'd work our tails off and would get everything out by at least 2 days. My 2nd year there...we got everything out on that first day back. Volume was a little less than year before, but not by much.

Of course this was in '94-'96 when the Internet and Electronic Communications was in its infancy, so I have no idea how most correspondence is done today. I'd imagine most inter-campus mail is done electronically, and perhaps even out of campus mail is done via email now.

It's sad too as the career that I pursued after college that ended up ruining my life with an auto accident, is becoming obsolete.
Old December 12 2013, 01:11 AM   #583
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

The Warbird and Voyager arrived today and they look fantastic. The differences between the original studio model and CG version of the Warbird are quite visible. Most noticable are the elongated warp nacelles and less-curved spine. The paint job of this one is also a rich dark green (again, assuming the coloring of the CG model), whereas the original was almost gray in color, with a slight greenish tint. Aside from that, excellent as usual.
Old December 12 2013, 06:52 AM   #584
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

OK, I admit this is a bit OT, but...

trekker670 wrote: View Post

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.
"Gloom of night"? Do USPS letter carriers actually deliver during the night?

It's funny, I thought the version I've always heard went something like "Neither rain nor sleet nor snow nor hail" or somesuch. But I admit I'm not American, so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 03:37 PM   #585
Richard Baker
Commander

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
OK, I admit this is a bit OT, but...

trekker670 wrote: View Post

"Gloom of night"? Do USPS letter carriers actually deliver during the night?

It's funny, I thought the version I've always heard went something like "Neither rain nor sleet nor snow nor hail" or somesuch. But I admit I'm not American, so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.
Unfortunately the new motto has been more like 'We do not have to lean too far outside our truck- if your mailbox requires us to take one step towards it our union rules allow us to skip your delivery"...

Back on topic-
I like most of the ships I have been seeing- the biggest disappointment thus far is the one I really wanted to buy- the Akira. They got the Bussard Collectors way too small on it (almost half the right size).
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote