RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,717
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 613
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 19 2013, 01:10 AM   #496
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Thx for the "free sample issue" tip. Much appreciated. I got many answers
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 03:44 AM   #497
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

So I got my Issues #3 and #4, and while I was checking them out, I decided to take another closer look at Issues #1 and #2. I was looking at the small details, not only in the paint jobs, but model construct as well. Don't know if y'all have noticed, but the "front cap" of the torpedo launcher on Issue #2 (NCC-1701 refit) is upside down. If you remember that it shaped with a slightly curved top, with a pointed edge on the bottom. Well, on the Eaglemoss model, it's reversed. On the model, it's not that the piece was put on wrong, as it's a part of the mold. So what I'm saying is that it was molded wrong.

Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 05:28 AM   #498
Sans
Lieutenant

For those that have issue 5, when on it's stand, how tall is it?
Sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 05:39 AM   #499
Sans
Lieutenant

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
. Don't know if y'all have noticed, but the "front cap" of the torpedo launcher on Issue #2 (NCC-1701 refit) is upside down. If you remember that it shaped with a slightly curved top, with a pointed edge on the bottom. Well, on the Eaglemoss model, it's reversed. On the model, it's not that the piece was put on wrong, as it's a part of the mold. So what I'm saying is that it was molded wrong.
I had to go look at my other models of that size: the Hot Wheels and Johnny Lighting ones. You can't see a curve on those, so I went to the mag that came with it. If you look on page 16, the top part is curved, but if you look at the one right on the next page (17), the bottom is curved.

Is it the viewing angle?

Speaking of detail, looking at the spread on page 4-5, is the jaggy-ness due the res of the mag printing, or did they use a low res CGI render for it?
Old November 19 2013, 07:15 AM   #500
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

Just signed up! These look amazing! This always happens to me when I'm online at 1 in the morning! lol
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 07:17 AM   #501
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Sans wrote: View Post

I had to go look at my other models of that size: the Hot Wheels and Johnny Lighting ones. You can't see a curve on those, so I went to the mag that came with it. If you look on page 16, the top part is curved, but if you look at the one right on the next page (17), the bottom is curved.

Is it the viewing angle?
Perhaps. According to these images from TWOK, it's angled at the top and bottom, but I guess the top seems a little more pronounced.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...7/twok0582.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...2/twok0912.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...3/twok1040.jpg
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 07:33 AM   #502
Sans
Lieutenant

Johnny Rico,

I was going to ask what color your ship was, as mine is a more bluish hue to it. I took a pix to show you why I was asking, and lo and behold, it came out white!
Old November 19 2013, 01:28 PM   #503
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
So I got my Issues #3 and #4, and while I was checking them out, I decided to take another closer look at Issues #1 and #2. I was looking at the small details, not only in the paint jobs, but model construct as well. Don't know if y'all have noticed, but the "front cap" of the torpedo launcher on Issue #2 (NCC-1701 refit) is upside down. If you remember that it shaped with a slightly curved top, with a pointed edge on the bottom. Well, on the Eaglemoss model, it's reversed. On the model, it's not that the piece was put on wrong, as it's a part of the mold. So what I'm saying is that it was molded wrong.
Interesting. Shoot them an email and see what they say.
Old November 19 2013, 06:33 PM   #504
dudley
Commodore

Here's a question that I've been wondering: do the collection subscription issues get sent out to everyone in the US at the same time (e.g., beginning or middle of the month)?

I had received a confirmation email that my order is being processed on November 13th. I'm just wondering if I missed the November boat and will have to wait until sometime in December for the first issue to arrive.

The lacking detail on the TMP Enterprise aside, I'm very excited about this series.

dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 06:56 PM   #505
Yanks
Fleet Captain

dudley wrote: View Post
Here's a question that I've been wondering: do the collection subscription issues get sent out to everyone in the US at the same time (e.g., beginning or middle of the month)?

I had received a confirmation email that my order is being processed on November 13th. I'm just wondering if I missed the November boat and will have to wait until sometime in December for the first issue to arrive.

The lacking detail on the TMP Enterprise aside, I'm very excited about this series.
I'm in the US.

This has been my experience getting billed and receipt.

1st box (ENT-D & 1701 refit)
Billed: 8 October, Received: 22 October
2nd box (BOP & NX-01)
Billed: 29 October, Received: 16 November

Last edited by Yanks; November 19 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 07:05 PM   #506
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post

I'm in the US.

This has been my experience getting bill and receipt.

2nd box (BOP & NX-01)
Yanks, I can confirm that my payment/receiving schedule has been the same/similar to yours (within one day).

I have not yet been billed for shipment 3, but I would expect to be billed in the next week or two given the previous billings.

I'm located in the midwest, if that makes any difference.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 07:24 PM   #507
Yanks
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post

I'm in the US.

This has been my experience getting bill and receipt.

2nd box (BOP & NX-01)
Yanks, I can confirm that my payment/receiving schedule has been the same/similar to yours (within one day).

I have not yet been billed for shipment 3, but I would expect to be billed in the next week or two given the previous billings.

I'm located in the midwest, if that makes any difference.

That's what I'm expecting.

I also got a note that the DS9 Space Station is being pushed. The email said expect to be billed "around" 23 December 2013.
Old November 19 2013, 09:07 PM   #508
Sans
Lieutenant

I finally got my order placed on 05 Nov for the 1st four issues. Two week to the day 18 Nov, the showed up.
Old November 19 2013, 09:50 PM   #509
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

Sans wrote: View Post
Johnny Rico,

I was going to ask what color your ship was, as mine is a more bluish hue to it. I took a pix to show you why I was asking, and lo and behold, it came out white!
It's a light grey. But as you discovered, when you shoot it using a Flash, the flash washes out pretty much all the grey and it looks white. To get these models to look at all real color, you have to lock out your flash and use natural light. Even the Ent-D looks white when you use a flash.
Old November 19 2013, 10:16 PM   #510
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

Modified my model a bit with a little black highlight on that torpedo launcher. Courtesy of a Black Sharpie pen. Still not totally accurate, but the thing is so small, that you'd need a tiny brush with actual paint to get in there and do it right. But looking at the model from a distance (normal eye distance ~18 inches) it looks pretty good this way. Thinking about blacking out the outside of the nacelles too. I'll lose the translucence, but I think the model would look better if those blue parts were black like they're supposed to be.