Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 1 2013, 11:18 PM   #181
SoM
Commander

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
I mean, Hell, the original pilot, "The Cage" was filmed in B&W...that's how old it is.
Uh... no it wasn't. For a while, the colour print was lost, but it turned up over a decade ago and has been broadcast and released in formats including DVD, Blu-ray and online video in colour.

The whole series was shot on a shoestring budget...
Tell that to a fan of 60s Doctor Who!
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 03:44 AM   #182
t_smitts
Commander

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. I didn't have any trouble believing the Klingon ships we saw on "Enterprise" were less advanced than the BoP's and cruisers we saw in the 23rd and 24th Centuries. Even the NX class, if you look closely enough, the metallic plating looks a bit more primitive than the starships of later centuries.

I think it would've been doable to create something that looked like it preceded the BoP.
Oh, OK...I see what you mean. You just had trouble with the 22nd C version of the Romulan BoP. I can understand that. But I think the problem lies more with the TOS BoP more than anything. Because if you look closely at that one, it wasn't much different than a Federation ship with inverted warp nacelles, and a painted bird on the hull. I see what you're saying, but again, TOS was a victim of its own time. I mean, Hell, the original pilot, "The Cage" was filmed in B&W...that's how old it is. The whole series was shot on a shoestring budget , and their model making suffered because of it., not to mention the over-all thought process of what spaceship looked like back then with all the cheesy sci-fi then. TOS came about about a decade too early. Had it been a late '70s production and not a late '60s production, things would have been quite different. And when you look at the Galaxy Class of TNG, I'm surprised they came up with such a radical design in the mid-80s in the middle of the Kirk-era Movies. Coming off of STIII and IV, with the intro of the NX-2000, I would have thought the next logical step would have been something like the Ambassador Class.
Well, the next logical step, ultimately, was the Ambassador Class, but since TNG was set a good ~80 years after the movies, that necessitated going a step or two even further.

Moreover, it should be noted that TNG-era ships and movie-era ships were, for the most part, designed by different people who, in turn, reported to different people.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 04:32 AM   #183
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Eaglemoss apparently mentioned back in summer that this collection would be released in Canada too. Has anyone heard when pre-order links would be available for Canadian customers?
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 05:04 PM   #184
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Well I've just bought issue 2 as the TMP Enterpise is my favourite. I'm a bit disappointed on the 2nd issue.

As you can see the top picture is the jonny lighting model the one underneath is the eaglemoss one it's bigger but the fine detail is bad IMO the bussard collectors are clear blue and the warp engine pylon grills are also clear blue as well, IMO not a true representation of the TMP Enterpise the grills should be black.

The jonny lighting model is smaller but has more detail on it.
Old September 4 2013, 08:18 PM   #185
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Actually - the TMP refit should have indigo-violet glowing grills - on the inside only and black on the outside. Sometimes I guess it could look blue in some shots. The glow was most prominent in TMP but I don't think they had them going as much in later movies. But yes, as you say, the bussards in the front, however, should not be blue like that, ever. Back then, they weren't even called bussard collectors - I think they were called matter/energy acquisition sinks, IIRC.
Old September 4 2013, 08:44 PM   #186
Nine of Four
Commander

I know I sound really dumb, but......

What is TMP???
Old September 4 2013, 08:55 PM   #187
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Nine of Four wrote: View Post
I know I sound really dumb, but......

What is TMP???
The abbreviation for The Motion Picture.
Old September 4 2013, 09:11 PM   #188
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
Well I've just bought issue 2 as the TMP Enterpise is my favourite. I'm a bit disappointed on the 2nd issue.

As you can see the top picture is the jonny lighting model the one underneath is the eaglemoss one it's bigger but the fine detail is bad IMO the bussard collectors are clear blue and the warp engine pylon grills are also clear blue as well, IMO not a true representation of the TMP Enterpise the grills should be black.

I do see what you're saying. Not only do you have the issue with the clear blue nacelles (more on that later) but there are several details that aren't painted in on Eaglemoss model that are on the Jonny Lightning model. But about the nacelles. They were modeled in the clear blue plastic so that natural light shining through them would make them glow. That wouldn't be possible if one side was blacked out as they should be. If that "glow" feature isn't important to you, I guess you could always paint in the black if you wanted to.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 09:56 PM   #189
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post

I do see what you're saying. Not only do you have the issue with the clear blue nacelles (more on that later) but there are several details that aren't painted in on Eaglemoss model that are on the Jonny Lightning model. But about the nacelles. They were modeled in the clear blue plastic so that natural light shining through them would make them glow. That wouldn't be possible if one side was blacked out as they should be. If that "glow" feature isn't important to you, I guess you could always paint in the black if you wanted to.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 05:06 AM   #190
SoM
Commander

But about the nacelles. They were modeled in the clear blue plastic so that natural light shining through them would make them glow. That wouldn't be possible if one side was blacked out as they should be. If that "glow" feature isn't important to you, I guess you could always paint in the black if you wanted to.
The Enterprise-D's nacelles are clear blue as well, and while the caps *are* overpainted in red, it isn't enough to keep them from showing blue if you position a light to make the strips "glow".
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:10 PM   #191
Trek Survivor
Captain

Just picked up issue #2 and love it.
Old September 6 2013, 12:54 PM   #192
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Because I'm a subscriber, I just received issue 3 with the Klingon BoP.
Old September 6 2013, 02:20 PM   #193
jpv2000
Captain

My main issue is the lack of detail on the Eaglemoss model. The JL has more of the fine details painted and more of the decals as well. I would much prefer the JL model over the Eaglemoss.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 03:02 PM   #194
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Any chance we could get pic?

It seems now that the subscriptions are active the various issues are arriving fairly rapidly, I'm impressed. I imagine my wallet isn't going to be pleased once they start shipping in the US
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 03:48 PM   #195
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Any chance we could get pic?

It seems now that the subscriptions are active the various issues are arriving fairly rapidly, I'm impressed. I imagine my wallet isn't going to be pleased once they start shipping in the US
It's identical to the picture on the Eaglemoss site:

http://www.startrek-starships.com/eng/starships.asp

Click on number 3 under Models in Detail for an all-round view. I couldn't achieve any better.

Compared with the model used for the ST II, the red pipe (cloaking field emitter) under the bridge probably shouldn't be as prominent as it is. It's a better effort than the model in issue 2, however.

Last edited by Asbo Zaprudder; September 6 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote