RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,183
Posts: 5,435,876
Members: 24,947
Currently online: 681
Newest member: CaptainJaymez

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 22 2014, 06:33 PM   #1516
8of5
Fleet Captain
 
8of5's Avatar
 
Location: Lincoln, UK
View 8of5's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
So the NX refit WILL be made, eh? Must have missed that memo - definitely good news on that one.

So, I just signed it - was signature 125. Only 4875 remaining to reach their "goal", although I don't know how influential petitions really are in business decision-making processes. I don't think a single one I signed over the years ever happened. Star Trek: Armada and Armada II were never made for the Mac, the USS Enterprise was never built 4 realz, and Piers Morgan hasn't been deported yet.

Hopefully this one will work.
Good news, Ben has confirmed he's entirely serious: If he can gather contact details for 5000 people who will pre-order a Titan (or anything else presumably) that's enough to get a special edition made.
__________________
Numerically Challenged Drone: Star Trek blog, 2013 books schedule, 2014 books schedule.
8of5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 08:10 PM   #1517
Kevman7987
Commander
 
Kevman7987's Avatar
 
Location: Erie, PA, USA
View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Well, I signed the petition. I don't really care much about the stories in the (thankfully) non-canon novel-universe, but I do like many of the ship designs I see popping up on covers or the MMORPG.
__________________
"Don't do it, Meat!"
"Don't do it, Cheese!"
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 08:13 PM   #1518
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain
 
Toxteth O´Grady's Avatar
 
Location: Illinois, USA
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I signed it, but it looks like we still have a long way to go.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 11:20 PM   #1519
mindx2
Lieutenant
 
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Signed as well. Would love to see some of the novel-verse ships made!
mindx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 06:19 AM   #1520
mtblillie
Commander
 
mtblillie's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I would like to see some of these things too, but I'm not getting any hopes up. The problem with non-canon stuff is every single trekkie/er out there has a different opinion on the subject, and whatever eaglemoss does somebody will be unhappy about it. Not to mention it would be tough to appease the CBS/Paramount franchise-ship on the subject. And that there are literally tons of canon stuff that have not been done yet.
__________________
-Robert
mtblillie.wordpress.com
mtblillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 01:49 PM   #1521
Kpnuts
Commodore
 
Kpnuts's Avatar
 
Location: London
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Personally I'm sort of ok with the Titan because the ship is canon even if the design isn't. Things like the NX-01.5 and the butt ugly Aventine on the other hand, no thanks.

Sadly there's no mention of the Daedalus Class, now that's something I'd much rather see. That's a true bridge between the NX-Class and the Constitution.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 05:06 PM   #1522
EVL_Ripper
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Jacksonville NC
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Very excited for NX 1.5 , not concerned about the Aventine and really hope the Ent-F isn't made, it's a shame to think that might be canon. DJCurtis's Enterprise F is a lot better.

I got my Nebula and Xindi Insectoid ship today, very nice, the Nebula is lacking a bit of detail surprising in the engineering section that connects the mission pod and the stand isn't very stable but I like them and I did receive the 2009 Enterprise magazine. Wish it had more technical info on the Enterprise but honestly most of it consists of just how the design came to be.
EVL_Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 10:57 PM   #1523
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Just got the Honshu (Nebula-Class) and Xindi insectoid.

Must admit, though not keen on ENT, I like that ship's design. It felt a bit fresher of a design.

I'm mildly annoyed with the quality though of both ships. The Xindi ship feels a bit flimsy. The Honshu's nacelles also feel this way, and if put in the stand, they're sort of bending the nacelle pylons. Both ships just feel as if they could break very easily to me. All the others have felt fairly sturdy, more or less. Though earlier my Vor'Cha's one nacelle did come off; but it wasn't a break and easily goes right back on.

The stands for this whole Eaglemoss line are my biggest gripe though. Haven't like them since day one, and I continue not to like them. I still don't understand why they went with this type of connection. OK, yes, people complain about a hole in the bottom when they do 99% of other stands - but it's never bothered me. Not with micro machines Trek ships, the Furuta Japanese ones, the current crop of Hot Wheels ones, the old Johnny Lightening. The trade off for a tiny hole in the bottom was a more stable and displayable stand, imho.

Oh well. Beggars and choosers and all that...

Having some of their Batmobile line though, with the display case and holographic background card and the cars being screwed/bolted in... I imagine such for the Trek ships and get wistful...
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 08:22 AM   #1524
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I really enjoyed the recent Nebula and Xindi ship. I agree that the Nebula seems flimsy, and the sensor pod is just a tad-bit cock-eyed from the horizontal axis. Other than that, I really liked them. I really wish the Nebula book had pics of the original study models that were first built and later used for set dressing. They had extra nacelles and other greebles that I was interested in seeing. Sigh - I suspect it will be impossible ever to get a clear view of those models and any reference on them has been lost.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 03:42 AM   #1525
mswood
Rear Admiral
 
mswood's Avatar
 
Location: 9th level of Hell
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

mtblillie wrote: View Post
I would like to see some of these things too, but I'm not getting any hopes up. The problem with non-canon stuff is every single trekkie/er out there has a different opinion on the subject, and whatever eaglemoss does somebody will be unhappy about it. Not to mention it would be tough to appease the CBS/Paramount franchise-ship on the subject. And that there are literally tons of canon stuff that have not been done yet.
See this is one of my biggest points, I want Star Trek ships. Not FASA ships, not fan designs, not rushed designs approved for novels (seriously read how their DS9 was built and ugghhh), not even ships that are designed by people on the some of the various staffs.

Heck I don't even want Probert's reworked ENT C, instead of the design done by Rick, and I love the look of that design.

There are a ton of really valid designs the various art apartments have made over the decades, and I want those first and foremost over anything else.

And I really don't want to be in a position that I have to kill my subscription to exclude ships outside of canon Trek.
__________________
My fandom will SALT and BURN your fandom!
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 12:38 PM   #1526
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

mswood wrote: View Post
mtblillie wrote: View Post
I would like to see some of these things too, but I'm not getting any hopes up. The problem with non-canon stuff is every single trekkie/er out there has a different opinion on the subject, and whatever eaglemoss does somebody will be unhappy about it. Not to mention it would be tough to appease the CBS/Paramount franchise-ship on the subject. And that there are literally tons of canon stuff that have not been done yet.
See this is one of my biggest points, I want Star Trek ships. Not FASA ships, not fan designs, not rushed designs approved for novels (seriously read how their DS9 was built and ugghhh), not even ships that are designed by people on the some of the various staffs.

Heck I don't even want Probert's reworked ENT C, instead of the design done by Rick, and I love the look of that design.

There are a ton of really valid designs the various art apartments have made over the decades, and I want those first and foremost over anything else.

And I really don't want to be in a position that I have to kill my subscription to exclude ships outside of canon Trek.
I'd be fine with prominent non-canon designs if they where specialty and you could opt-out of them. Or if they where done after we've got more or less every canon ship...

Honestly though, there are only a few prominent non-canon designs I can even think of. Titan, Aventine, and a handful of others.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 04:14 PM   #1527
Kevman7987
Commander
 
Kevman7987's Avatar
 
Location: Erie, PA, USA
View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Frontier wrote: View Post
mswood wrote: View Post
mtblillie wrote: View Post
I would like to see some of these things too, but I'm not getting any hopes up. The problem with non-canon stuff is every single trekkie/er out there has a different opinion on the subject, and whatever eaglemoss does somebody will be unhappy about it. Not to mention it would be tough to appease the CBS/Paramount franchise-ship on the subject. And that there are literally tons of canon stuff that have not been done yet.
See this is one of my biggest points, I want Star Trek ships. Not FASA ships, not fan designs, not rushed designs approved for novels (seriously read how their DS9 was built and ugghhh), not even ships that are designed by people on the some of the various staffs.

Heck I don't even want Probert's reworked ENT C, instead of the design done by Rick, and I love the look of that design.

There are a ton of really valid designs the various art apartments have made over the decades, and I want those first and foremost over anything else.

And I really don't want to be in a position that I have to kill my subscription to exclude ships outside of canon Trek.
I'd be fine with prominent non-canon designs if they where specialty and you could opt-out of them. Or if they where done after we've got more or less every canon ship...

Honestly though, there are only a few prominent non-canon designs I can even think of. Titan, Aventine, and a handful of others.
From what was stated, I believe that the Titan will only be made and in a limited number, if enough people are willing to pre-order and pay for it before it even gets manufactured. It probably wouldn't be included among the regular subscription until much later, after the 90 they're going to do anyway. If it will release as a special instead, we still probably wouldn't see its regular release until they've run out of ideas for specials. The petition still has a long way to go until it even reaches 5,000 signatures. Sounds like Ben wants to contact everyone after the fact too. This means that we are probably at least 2 years away (if ever) from 5,000 signatures.
__________________
"Don't do it, Meat!"
"Don't do it, Cheese!"
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 08:53 PM   #1528
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Ships from the small and big screen are the most important because they are the most prominent, simply by being exposed to greatest number of people.

However, only because the tag "canon" is slapped on them doesn't make them holy, with other licenced products being treated as ugly heretics.

Remember, there's the term "Star Trek" written on all the officially licenced products, and that makes them part of the Star Trek multimedia multiverse.

This collection focuses on the ships from screen, which is perfectly alright. That doesn't require decrying efforts to be a little more inclusive of the rest of the franchise. If enough people want a USS Titan and if it's marketable, then I say include it. IDIC.
__________________
1.000 years: University Leipzig, 1409-2409
Gorn to be wild!
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 09:15 PM   #1529
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Yeah. And at the end of the day...why get your panties in a bunch over one ship thats at its closest years away and only after we get another 60+ canon ships before it? Even if the 1701-F gets made and the Aventine, thats still only 3 ships. I can think of 3 ships that I have already that I can live without (TMP Ent, Ferengi Marauder and Solar Sailer). But thats not even the case. In 3 weeks I'll have a Nausicaan raider. Something that was only seen in one episode as far as I know. Do I hate this ship with a passion for not being a Scimitar or Vulcan Warp Sled shuttle? Of course not. It's one single ship out of many. At least 95 confirmed ships (The 90 plus specials and sub gifts). Even the mighty Micro Machines only made 55 ships in total and thats with 3 duplicate Klingon Birds of Prey, 2 Excelsior's, 3 Enterprise D's and 2 Miranda's. And although it wasn't the Star Trek License, Galoob did make 9 ships/figures across 3 packs for expanded universe designs.

...So yeah. All this talk over one, still hypothetical model. Or 3 models. Out of at least 98 if all 3 EU ships are made. 95 screen used ships is really scraping the bottom of the barrell, and yet I still want at least a 100+ to get every TV seen ship out there. I'm just fine with getting even more Trek goodness mixed in.
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 09:21 PM   #1530
Ethros
Vice Admiral
 
Ethros's Avatar
 
Location: 1123 6536 5321
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

With these this is the first time I've ever bought Trek ship models. I know a fair few have been done before in some form or others (obvious ones like the Enterprises, Klingon BOP, Excelsior etc)


I just wondered of all those released thus far are the ones that have never been done before in any way?
Have there been models before of the Akira, Equinox or Prometheus for example?

http://www.startrek.com/article/firs...ons-enterprise
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.