IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 17 2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Mudang Harada
Lieutenant

Does it even make sense for TNG Klingons to occupy foreign territory?

I am talking about the TNG Klingons, not the TOS ones with the smooth foreheads.

Do they do a lot of traditional stuff that occupiers do: finding a Quisling, getting some locals onboard and giveing them weapons, making up propaganda to justify the occupation...?
From a purely philiosophical POV wouldn't it make more sense to stick to their territory or to slaughter everyone in enemy territory and colonize it? They don't seem to have the right mentality for any sort of long term occupation. it would surprize me if they would arm some of their own neighbours fo provide a bigger challenge or primitive species they would discover.

Thoughts?
Mudang Harada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Re: Does it even make sense for TNG Klingons to occupy foreign territo

Wrote a fan fic once where the Klingons would invade a species, fight and defeat them, after which the Klingon forces would basically just leave.

After several decades to allow the species to rebuild themselves, the Klingons would return do it again to the same species. It wasn't about acquiring territory, it was more "the sport" of battle.

Catch and release.

Old October 17 2014, 06:33 PM   #3
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

What we know of the Klingon 'Glory days' suggested they may have just wiped out entire cities.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Timo
Admiral

Well, we saw "Errand of Mercy". Kor didn't have unlimited resources, so he made do with being suitably ruthless. Eliminating the locals would have been rather trivially accomplished nevertheless - no need to waste sidearm power packs or the Klingon-hours of his troops, just blast the one city to glass from orbit and then conquer the planet. But Kor opted to keep the locals, perhaps for labor, perhaps for the sport of conquest, and then used pretty classic occupation tactics.

We also saw "Mind's Eye", where a Klingon colony of unknown ethnicity rebelled. Whether or not Klingon conquest is genocidal, it seems they have to deal with "occupational hazards" such as uprisings anyway. So again one would expect classic tactics of intimidation, uneven treatment, drafting of loyal agents, competitive exploitation etc.

That the Klingon Empire would wish to expand, we can only speculate upon. When they fight over territory, it's that boring old Archanis over and over and over again... I rather like John Ford's old komerex vs. khesterex thing, though: Klingons would believe in the glory of conquest enough to make it their one and only religion, foreign policy and economics doctrine.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Mudang Harada
Lieutenant

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
What we know of the Klingon 'Glory days' suggested they may have just wiped out entire cities.
What is your source?
Old October 19 2014, 05:51 AM   #6
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Since Klingon worlds generally are not resource rich, expansion would seem a logical development. They don't seem particularly adept at diplomacy, economics, or trade.

If you wanted to limit this to TNG era Klingons, why did you post this in General Discussion?
Old October 19 2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Mudang Harada
Lieutenant

ENT Klingons were like that too and the DS 9 ones and the post-Nemesis Lit Klingons.
Old October 21 2014, 05:41 AM   #8
eyeresist
Lieutenant Commander

Klingons are pretty xenophobic, so when invading populated areas genocide and enslavement would be their main approach. But using an army for this kind of thing inevitably requires a huge bureaucracy, which they would certainly find onerous. There is little honour in being a prison guard. So I imagine Klingons would prefer the challenge of colonising previously uninhabited worlds.
Dean: It's like I don't even know you guys anymore. Star Trek Four! Save the whales!
eyeresist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2014, 05:47 AM   #9
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

eyeresist wrote: View Post
Klingons are pretty xenophobic, so when invading populated areas genocide and enslavement would be their main approach. But using an army for this kind of thing inevitably requires a huge bureaucracy, which they would certainly find onerous. There is little honour in being a prison guard. So I imagine Klingons would prefer the challenge of colonising previously uninhabited worlds.
You've seen "Errand of Mercy", right?
Old October 21 2014, 06:16 AM   #10
Mudang Harada
Lieutenant

We are talking about the ones with ridges.
Old October 21 2014, 07:42 AM   #11
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Klingons are Klingons.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2014, 10:19 AM   #12
Timo
Admiral

"Errand of Mercy" is significant in more levels than one. It shows that Klingons during an ongoing military campaign have a strategic need to control Class M worlds, even primitive ones. And when would the Empire not have an ongoing campaign? Thus, conquest and occupation of alien worlds would seem to be part and parcel of the Klingon lifestyle after all.

Whether this would then be followed by exploitation, as with the Cardassians mining Bajor bare, we don't know - we haven't heard of comparable Klingon exploits yet. It might make sense if the Empire is resource-starved, like the Cardassian Union is reputed to be, but we haven't actually learned that the Empire would be short on anything at any of the timepoints we have witnessed. Conquest and control of worlds might be necessary solely for the purposes of managing further conquest.

Timo Saloniemi
Old October 21 2014, 11:34 AM   #13
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

What we know from Sherman's Planet is that the Klingons, though brutal, are most efficient in managing a planet.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2014, 12:43 PM   #14
Timo
Admiral

Yup - and it would be interesting to know the exact situation at Sherman's. Was it an empty world, a human colony, a Klingon colony, a joint colony, or a third party colony or homeworld? Why was it a competition piece? Had it already been subject to violent competition between the two powers, or was it picked for some other reason? Were the Organians somehow involved in this?

Timo Saloniemi
Old October 21 2014, 01:26 PM   #15
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Klingons are Klingons.
I agree with this. There is no questions Klingons like to conquer and I think it is unrealistic to limit yourself to one series over the other. I'd argue you should even branch out farther and continue to learn more about their need and desires for conquest by reading some of the books. I think can they add a lot of material about Klingons because IIRC they specifically deal with the "Jeghpu'wI" - conquered people.
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote