Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 20 2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Infern0
Captain

Farscape or Buffy The Vampire Slayer

I have never seen either show and am going to watch both all the way through but which would you start with if in my shoes?
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:57 AM   #2
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: Farscape or Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Depends on your tastes. Buffy's first season is not representative of the rest of the series. It takes a while to gain momentum. Farscape starts off strong but it is a little out there. Sometimes you wonder if you are high when you are watching it. With a minor pacing issue in season two, it sticks together well as a story from beginning to end. Buffy is a little different in that each season is an arc unto its own. You could watch a couple of seasons of Buffy and take a break before going back to it. With Farscape, you are going to want to watch the whole thing all the way through.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I didn't like Buffy, so I'm going to say Farscape (doesn't hurt I'm in the middle of yet another rewatch). It starts stronger than some sci-fi shows (like most of the Treks, for example) but it doesn't actually really start coming together and getting good until "Durka Returns", with "Nerve" being the make-or-break episode for new viewers.

Farscape is an oddball and fantastic and brilliant space opera series, and if you're in this forum I assume you enjoy those.
Old May 20 2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

What's wrong with alternating episode by episode?
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Infern0 wrote: View Post
I have never seen either show and am going to watch both all the way through but which would you start with if in my shoes?
Why not 'program your own network." Watch one hour of Buffy, then one hour of Farscape every night, and see which one grabs you more, and then keep watching that to the end.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I am struggling to get through the first fews eps of Buffy for so many reasons and so will strongly recommend Farscape.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:09 PM   #7
.:: TSN ::.
Lieutenant Commander

Alternate Buffy & Farscape episode by episode, and after season 3 of Buffy add Angel to the mix.
.:: TSN ::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Lucky
Commander

I consider Buffy, Angel and Farscape to be my Holy Trinity of TV. Buffy is my favorite series ever, but it would be a bigger investment, as it is 7 seasons and it has a spinoff that lasts 5 (and part of it should be watched concurrently with Buffy). Farscape is amazing too though, easily my favorite sci-fi series. It is creative, out there, and has some wonderfully developed characters. Both shows take a bit to find their legs. For Farscape it is towards the end of the first season, for Buffy more towards the middle of the second. But all the shows are great and worth watching.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Leroy
Fleet Captain

You couldn't get any more apples and oranges if you tried. Go with Buffy if you are interested in fantasy and vampires. Go with Farscape if you are more interested in outer space and aliens.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Forbin
Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
I am struggling to get through the first fews eps of Buffy for so many reasons and so will strongly recommend Farscape.
Stick with it. Season 1 amounts to a bunch of standalone horror trope spoofs (which is actually why I liked it, personally). Season 2 is very strong and more acr-driven. If you're not sold by the time you get to the S2 finale, you're not going to like it any better. But I think there's brilliance in every season.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
Go with Buffy if you are interested in fantasy and vampires.
Not entirely an accurate statement, I don't give a fig about vampires, nor really cared about the show's mythology, yet I still really liked the show. It's the clever writing and great characters that make the show a joy to watch. It succeeds despite its subject matter (and that was the thing that was holding me back from giving the show a chance for so long.)
Old May 20 2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

Buffy is big on fighting and character stories. With of course your typical monster problem every episode kind of shunting along the story.
Farscape is great for prosthetic lovers, some of my favourite sci-fi characters spent their lives in Farscape. Hope you enjoy whichever you start with first!
Halmirdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:10 PM   #13
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Buffy is a great show. I liked season one, but it does take a bit to gain momentum. Still, it has great characters, clever writing, and overall is just a great show. I watched a fair amount of farscape and ended up not liking it (although season 1 was ok). It definately isn't written as well as Buffy is once Buffy gets going. I'd say go with Buffy.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Oh man, I can't even decide. Both are in my top 5 shows - I'd say alternate, either season by season or episode by episode. As noted though you may want to throw Angel in the mix eventually... Farscape's certainly less of an investment. Both shows are absolutely brilliant though.
Old May 20 2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Ooh, that's a rough one. Both are near the top of the heap when it comes to genre shows: clever, funny, dramatic, imaginative . . . often at the same time!

Hard to go wrong with either.