IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 10 2013, 07:50 PM   #256
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

I'm wondering why they don't just name the Kinect 2, HAL 9000, because it certainly sounds exactly like it. It can watch you, it can prevent you from doing things and it can monitor you and your lifesigns. At this point, I'd fully expect them to call an ambulance if they see someone who shows signs of a medical emergency.

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave, I can't let you watch the movie.
Dave: Why the hell not?
HAL: (After moments of silence) I am sensing that you are upset, Dave. Is something bothering you?
Dave: Let me watch my movie. I bought it.
Moments of silence...
Dave: HAL, we've been through a lot together. I bought you and took you home. Don't make me disconnect you! Just let me watch the movie!
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:52 PM   #257
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
The best part of the conference was when the sound cut out... twice.

But unless Sony does something crazy, Microsoft pretty much lost me. Every decent game is multiplat.
Or when the guy from DICE nearly left because the game didn't start.
Old June 10 2013, 07:56 PM   #258
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
The best part of the conference was when the sound cut out... twice.

But unless Sony does something crazy, Microsoft pretty much lost me. Every decent game is multiplat.
Or when the guy from DICE nearly left because the game didn't start.
He was not a happy chappy was he. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 04:04 AM   #259
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
US $499.
EU €499.
UK £430.

Who would have thought, EU/Uk get the big rip off. lol
*Sony watching the announcement*

"FUCK YEAH! WE WIN! NUMBER 1 AGAIN HERE WE COME!"
Old June 11 2013, 04:13 AM   #260
ATimson
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
*Sony watching the announcement*

"FUCK YEAH! WE WIN! NUMBER 1 AGAIN HERE WE COME!"
We'll see. They lost one of their major selling points from the last generation (free online multiplayer), and they seem to think that a six-year-old game (Versus XIII) was going to be a system-seller. (Hint: they're wrong.)

So far, in terms of exclusive games they're at Xbone 1, PS4 0. Unless they announce Uncharted 4 in the next few minutes (is the livestream still going?), I'm probably going to end up in Microsoftland again.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Last edited by ATimson; June 11 2013 at 04:24 AM. Reason: typo
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 04:46 AM   #261
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
We'll see. They lost one of their major selling points from the last generation (free online multiplayer), and they seem to think that a six-year-old game (Versus XIII) was going to be a system-seller. (Hint: they're wrong.)
I don't like their decision to charge for multiplayer, but it's still cheaper than XBL Gold and PS+ just appears to be a better service all around. Sony also aren't charging for the use of 3rd-party apps like MS do.

As fun as TitanFall looks, I don't think it will overcome all the positives the PS4 has going for it at this point, especially not considering will probably come to PS4 at some point. Unless MS can subsidise the console and sell it for $300 with a subscription, Sony has a clear advantage. The PS4 is cheaper, has fewer restrictions, and is a more powerful console by all accounts. Things can change in the coming months, but Sony have won a 360 owner like me over, and I'm not the only one.
Old June 11 2013, 03:36 PM   #262
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

From Forbes:

"First and foremost, the used game issue simply didn’t need to exist. Microsoft took far too long to convey the message that it was up to publishers to activate or deactivate used game sales, and by the time they did, people were already permanently upset with them. I completely empathize with their desire to push for digital distribution, but they got too far ahead of themselves. They could have set up an easy, convenient digital download network for new games that people could use if they so chose. But they also should have kept physical discs around for those who wanted them, and not used them as mere licenses to install content to a hard drive."

More than likely what we're seeing is a massive failure in the PR department, but for the most part, if I was forced to choose between the two, I'd get a PS4. It's kinda sad really, I love my 360, but they made being a gamer way too complicated.
Old June 11 2013, 05:31 PM   #263
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

MS most likely didn't anticipate the sheer level of fan and customer reaction.. they surely counted on some negativity but so far most of the internet is foaming at the mouth.

Sony wisely held back as long as they could and i bet they were watching very closely how things with MS developed and i am pretty sure they had 2 plans in the drawer depending on the general atmosphere.. do exactly as MS did if the outcry was on acceptable and expected level or position yourself as the anti-MS company who cares more about its customers/gamers than some faceless companies/developers (and milk the heck out of it).

They wisely chose the latter and are now already hailed as the winner of the next gen console race. While MS almost lost me as a potential customer i'd rather not predict an outcome.

From experience i can honestly say that fanboys may be loud but when the time comes to put their money where their mouth is most of them quietly buy the console they've been fuming over for months and when called on it invent all kinds of reasons.

So MS will most likely be successful, Sony will be for sure and everybody should choose their system (and some will buy both) according to preferences and tastes.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:43 PM   #264
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

It will be interesting to see how many new games are still being made for the last-gen consoles (particularly the 360) despite a forced end-of-life path from MS.
Old June 11 2013, 05:50 PM   #265
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Given that they just launched a brand new 360, probably at least two years, probably more.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:52 PM   #266
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

I doubt it'll be that long. They're trying to flog new xbox 360s to those who want to be able to play their 360 content after the One becomes the only game in town.
Old June 11 2013, 05:58 PM   #267
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

But I'm thinking they may see a Windows XP/Vista phenomenon, with users favoring an older proven platform over the massive perceived problems of the new one, forcing MS to accelerate its efforts on the next-next-gen product, in the OS case, Windows 7. XP lasted many years longer than MS ever intended due to Vista's questionable design. I see a similar experience here.
Old June 11 2013, 06:27 PM   #268
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

The thing is, I don't think there are any more first party 360 games so they're basically leaving it to Call of Duty and EA Sports to make 360 a relevant platform this year and into the future. It's almost as bad as when they dropped Xbox... the first.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:37 PM   #269
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The thing is, I don't think there are any more first party 360 games so they're basically leaving it to Call of Duty and EA Sports to make 360 a relevant platform this year and into the future. It's almost as bad as when they dropped Xbox... the first.
They have one: the Fable HD remake. But Microsoft is generally fairly light on the first-party releases anyways, compared to Sony (and especially compared to Nintendo).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 12:10 PM   #270
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Oh dear, Microsoft's Don Mattrick's answer to all those on nuclear subs complaing about no online, god damn submariners ruining it for the rest of us. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote