TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 13 2014, 12:50 AM   #1006
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Christopher wrote: View Post
Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
On the subject of Mara Jade, if she is a character in any form, her EU backstory could be used or disposed of at will.
Sure. There are plenty of past cases of characters created for one version of a franchise being adopted into a different continuity -- like the original comics picking up Perry White and Jimmy Olsen from the Superman radio series, Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya from Batman: The Animated Series, and Phil Coulson and nearly the entire Agents of SHIELD cast (who will be debuting in the main Marvel Universe in a few months). Adopting a character doesn't require keeping their backstory or context intact; for instance, Jimmy Olsen was a blond copyboy turned cub reporter on radio, but became a redheaded photographer in the comics (and later was retconned to a redhead on radio).
I don't disagree, but in this instance there isn't really much of a reason to make any *massive* departures from her established backstory and basic core characteristics. Indeed, AFAIK most of her early life is still pretty sketchy, so if anything they'll be filling in the blanks.

Just off the top of my head: maybe she's the daughter of two fugitive Jedi, conceived and born on the run before being ripped from their cold dead arms by Vader himself. Maybe she was a baby at the temple during Order 66, spared the fate of the older padawans under Palpatine's direct orders. Or maybe she was a sensitive identified in a routine sweep.

There's plenty of room for creative invention and embellishment that need not change who the character is. Keeping 'Superman' as a point of comparison: while there have been a number of retelling of his origin over the years, each with it's own spin, the basic story remain the same. He's always (in theory) the last survivor of Krypton, which blew up and was sent to earth and raised in Kansas by the Kents. Whether he was actually born on Krypton or birthed in some genetic matrix thing on the ship or what decade he landed in Kansas never changed who he was at the core.

Anyway, getting back to Jade, while a lot of her backstory should at least be respected, what happens to her post RotJ is of course fair game.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 04:08 AM   #1007
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I really don't think you should take it so hard fives. Think of it this way - for three years a Star Wars fans all "knew" that Luke's father was a Jedi Knight that was killed by Darth Vader.
Make it six years for me. I didn't believe Vader's claim of being Luke's father until Obi-Wan's ghost confirmed it in ROTJ. I just figured he'd lied to screw with Luke. I think I may have inadvertently spoiled a passerby or two while arguing with my family about it on the way out of the theater after seeing TESB.
When I first showed my daughter the trilogy she thought Vader was lying.
So I'm not the only one!

Then again the movies were so more intense when I was a kid. I still remember my hairs standing on end when Vader lit Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 04:59 AM   #1008
Destructor
Commodore

[QUOTE=Christopher;9967795]
There are plenty of past cases of characters created for one version of a franchise being adopted into a different continuity
One example that is always surprising to me is the Vampire Geneviève Dieudonné, who was created for the Warhammer Fantasy tie-in novels and then reappeared in the fantasy-history novels of the 'Anno Dracula' series.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 07:29 AM   #1009
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Corran Horn wrote: View Post

Make it six years for me. I didn't believe Vader's claim of being Luke's father until Obi-Wan's ghost confirmed it in ROTJ. I just figured he'd lied to screw with Luke. I think I may have inadvertently spoiled a passerby or two while arguing with my family about it on the way out of the theater after seeing TESB.
When I first showed my daughter the trilogy she thought Vader was lying.
So I'm not the only one!
The big question for many of us who were waiting between '80 and '83 was whether or not Vader was lying.
Old August 13 2014, 03:20 PM   #1010
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

In regards to Mara Jade; if she does appear, I feel pretty confident she'd be a worthwhile character and they'd do right by her in general. I mean, consider this creative team gave us Asohka Tano, Elisa Maza, and Demona.
Old August 19 2014, 08:41 PM   #1011
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Rebels premieres Friday Oct. 3 @ 9:00 pm on Disney Channel with an hour-long episode, then moves to Disney XD for its regular timeslot of 9:00 pm Mondays on Oct. 13.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 11:32 PM   #1012
Mr Light
Admiral

Hunh. They originally said they would air the pilot early and then the rest of the season months later.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 11:57 PM   #1013
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well they do say it'll be available Sept 29 to Disney VOD users... which of course means that it will leak online shortly thereafter for everyone else who wants to see it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 01:45 AM   #1014
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

Well, no matter which schedule they're using I'm not a Disney XD subscriber and not getting a more expensive channel package just for one new series. I'll catch the premiere on the regular Disney Channel and then watch the rest of the series online.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 02:03 AM   #1015
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Well they do say it'll be available Sept 29 to Disney VOD users... which of course means that it will leak online shortly thereafter for everyone else who wants to see it.
That's good, my virus protection software could use a workout!
Old August 20 2014, 02:09 AM   #1016
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

As if posting in the Trek BBS the past week or two hasn't been enough of a workout for some of us.

Old August 20 2014, 05:32 AM   #1017
JD
Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Well, no matter which schedule they're using I'm not a Disney XD subscriber and not getting a more expensive channel package just for one new series. I'll catch the premiere on the regular Disney Channel and then watch the rest of the series online.
Same here. Although I'll wait until it's on Blu-Ray or legally streaming on Netflix, Amazon and/or Hulu.
Old August 20 2014, 05:41 AM   #1018
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Many brand new episodes of The Clone Wars were posted to YouTube right after they aired and many of them remained online without being pulled. There are usually options that don't require waiting until a series is on home video, but nothing I or others would classify as shady or illegal. Official Disney web pages might even offer new episodes for viewing.

Old August 20 2014, 07:05 PM   #1019
davejames
Vice Admiral

A couple of new promos. The scene with the TIE Fighter spinning around close to the ground might just be one of the coolest I've seen yet.

And I don't care what the naysayers say. The show just looks like a lot of fun, and it's been way too long since I could say that about SW.

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/08/st...elios-preview/
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 02:34 AM   #1020
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

I'm definitely becoming more excited about it. I just saw my very first Kanan Jarrus toy earlier today at Walmart: a 20-inch figure made by Jakks Pacific. The first Rebels toys and other merchandise are surfacing at retail, including a 20-inch Jakks Pacific TIE Fighter Pilot based on the visual design of the new series that looks very cool.