RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 144,472
Posts: 5,673,292
Members: 25,620
Currently online: 473
Newest member: tmaichrist

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Parallax
By: Michelle on Apr 17

New ThinkGeek Trek Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Online Adds Voyager Actor
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Project Enterprise Campaign Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Star Trek Live In Concert Update
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Crofoot: Angel One And The Offspring
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 20 2014, 10:15 PM   #631
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

i for one am glad they are moving past the prequel/Clone War era. really, since Ep 2 we've had two animated shows about the Clone Wars. tons of comics and several books. none of which you can line up and really make sense of. time to explore new territory.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 10:36 PM   #632
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Really enjoyed the clip. I can already see the alot more of an OT tone to this one just from those few minutes.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 11:13 PM   #633
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Reverend wrote: View Post
Incidentally, I've been reading some of the early drafts for the original movie and I think there may be some inspiration drawn from here too. Can't quite articulate why, but there's something about the group dynamic that feels very reminiscent.
It's likely because the cast of characters in Rebels are basically riffs of the characters from ANH.

Ezra - Luke
Sabine - Leia
Kanan - Obi-Wan
Hera - Han
Zeb - Chewbacca
Chopper - R2
__________________
Live Long and Prosper
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 01:08 AM   #634
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

And since Lucas has always liked his characters and situations to "echo" others that live and happen earlier or even later in the SW timeline I'm sure the producers deliberately designed the crew of the Ghost to parallel the main heroes of A New Hope. Which I'm fine with so long as they're written competently.
__________________
"Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight."

-Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 01:44 AM   #635
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

I wasn't talking about the archetypes so much as the group dynamic and personality types.
The characters in the earlier drafts have significantly different personalities than the ones that ended up on screen.

For example, despite still being the maverick of the group, the original Han Solo was a totally different character from Ford's Solo. Aside from being a big green alien with gills, he as also nowhere near as mercenary, nor was he a potential love interest for Leia. Indeed, he was more the level headed old veteran with a roguish sense of humour. Think Gurney Halleck, but with gills.

Indeed, in this instance, I get the feel that Zeb has more in common with original Han than he does Chewie. Also, Kanan feels much more like Annikin Starkiller than Obi-Wan or "General Luke Skywalker" (as opposed to farmboy Luke Skywalker--yes, the recycled names can get confusing!)
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 01:53 AM   #636
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

According to SoundCloud, this is the theme music to the new series.
__________________
"Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight."

-Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 02:31 AM   #637
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Reverend wrote: View Post
I wasn't talking about the archetypes so much as the group dynamic and personality types.
The characters in the earlier drafts have significantly different personalities than the ones that ended up on screen.

For example, despite still being the maverick of the group, the original Han Solo was a totally different character from Ford's Solo. Aside from being a big green alien with gills, he as also nowhere near as mercenary, nor was he a potential love interest for Leia. Indeed, he was more the level headed old veteran with a roguish sense of humour. Think Gurney Halleck, but with gills.

Indeed, in this instance, I get the feel that Zeb has more in common with original Han than he does Chewie. Also, Kanan feels much more like Annikin Starkiller than Obi-Wan or "General Luke Skywalker" (as opposed to farmboy Luke Skywalker--yes, the recycled names can get confusing!)
Annikan is much more rogue-ish imo he is probably a combination of what eventually became Han and Luke in the final draft. I don't think Kanan is much like him at all, he seems to be more straight-laced from what we've seen. Still a jedi at the core. Annikan openly flaunts the Bendu's orthodoxy towards relationships.
__________________
Live Long and Prosper
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 12:31 PM   #638
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
According to SoundCloud, this is the theme music to the new series.
If so, it sounds like this show will actually be getting a title sequence.
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
I wasn't talking about the archetypes so much as the group dynamic and personality types.
The characters in the earlier drafts have significantly different personalities than the ones that ended up on screen.

For example, despite still being the maverick of the group, the original Han Solo was a totally different character from Ford's Solo. Aside from being a big green alien with gills, he as also nowhere near as mercenary, nor was he a potential love interest for Leia. Indeed, he was more the level headed old veteran with a roguish sense of humour. Think Gurney Halleck, but with gills.

Indeed, in this instance, I get the feel that Zeb has more in common with original Han than he does Chewie. Also, Kanan feels much more like Annikin Starkiller than Obi-Wan or "General Luke Skywalker" (as opposed to farmboy Luke Skywalker--yes, the recycled names can get confusing!)
Annikan is much more rogue-ish imo he is probably a combination of what eventually became Han and Luke in the final draft. I don't think Kanan is much like him at all, he seems to be more straight-laced from what we've seen. Still a jedi at the core. Annikan openly flaunts the Bendu's orthodoxy towards relationships.
I thought Annikan was actually pretty close to how Anakin ended turned out in Ep2 & 3; more of a brash youth than a rogue. Yes, I am hair splitting, I know, but I think there is a subtle distinction there.

Of course these are just impressions based off a few seconds of out of context pieces of footage. It may turn out we're both way off as to his character.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 05:39 PM   #639
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Hard to tell much from the short clip, since we don't really know who these characters are yet, but it at least seems to have a sense of fun about it. And I love the very OT-style space battle as well.

I'm not too bothered by the animation, although it's definitely a bit more Disney-ish than we're accustomed to with TCW.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 05:43 PM   #640
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

I didn't like the animation style of TCW when it first premiered but it slowly grew on me over time and as I enjoyed the content of the series more and more. So far I don't mind what I've seen and it's about what we could expect from the folks at Disney.
__________________
"Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight."

-Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 06:32 PM   #641
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral
 
Corran Horn's Avatar
 
Location: I-L
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

JD wrote: View Post
Really enjoyed the clip. I can already see the alot more of an OT tone to this one just from those few minutes.
The music and TIEs help.
__________________
"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones. "
Corran Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 07:04 PM   #642
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Personally I've seen enough variants of that "blaster bolts chasing and hitting a TIE fighter" shot to last a lifetime -- especially when you add in the equivalent shots of Cylon Raiders that the original Galactica tended to use over and over in every space battle scene.
__________________
Written Worlds -- My blog and webpage
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 07:00 AM   #643
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
Ancient Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Into The West
View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

I absolutely loved the bit on Kevin Kiner. His work on CW was incredible. And I wish upon a Death Star that someday we'll get more of his work beyond the score for the cinematic release.
__________________
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 05:07 PM   #644
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Stupid question, but is Asoka Tano going to be in this (and did she even survive the Jedi Purge?)
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 05:28 PM   #645
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Dave Filoni just said in an interview or statement that no, none of the regular characters we saw on The Clone Wars will appear in the new series. I imagine if we even hear or see anything else about Ahsoka it'll happen in one of the live-action theatrical films.
__________________
"Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight."

-Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
star wars, star wars: rebels

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.