RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 575
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 4 2014, 05:02 PM   #616
Wadjda
Commander

Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Disney seems determined to undermine anything that took place before ROTS
Do you have evidence?
Old March 4 2014, 07:18 PM   #617
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

billcosby wrote: View Post
Disney seems determined to undermine anything that took place before ROTS but I still think it would be fascinating to see how the galaxy reacts to those clone soldiers post-Clone Wars. I'm sure they aren't a slave race or anything but would they be welcomed anywhere? What would they be doing - would they band together or populate the far corners of space?
Interesting question. Unless accelerated aging or some violent purge to "cleanse" the Imperial military of old blood depleted their numbers to a mere shadow of their old levels and made Republic-era clones a rare sight, I imagine it might be a mixture of aging clones serving in support and administrative units and ex-troops who receded into civilian life somewhere to live out the remainder of their lives as quietly as possible. Who knows, really.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 09:08 PM   #618
billcosby
Commodore

DDD...D Unit wrote: View Post
Disney seems determined to undermine anything that took place before ROTS
Do you have evidence?
Well, let's see. They cancelled TCW, a series with at least three more seasons left in it. They want to market Darth Vader. Can't do that before ROTS.
This summer there is still a as of yet unknown "Darth Vader hour long TV special" set to air. It may be one of those little Lego movies but it may also tie in with Rebels and / or the sequel trilogy.

IIRC, the showrunners of Rebels denied that any Clone Wars era characters will appear along with a recent interview.

I was also thinking about how the average Joe or Jane in the SW universe may react to seeing a clone trooper well after the war. It would probably bring up bad memories for some... maybe others would regard them as heroes? Were I a Clone, I would be determined to go around with a helmet on (not a clone trooper one, either).

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 10:43 PM   #619
Wadjda
Commander

IIRC, the showrunners of Rebels denied that any Clone Wars era characters will appear along with a recent interview.
Could you link that for me?
Old March 5 2014, 12:13 AM   #620
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Of course, the producers can say that now but they could very well have Ahsoka or a former Clone unit commander or somebody else from the previous series written into the new show if the opportunity and an interesting story idea arose. Hollywood's replete with statements that "we're not going to do this or that" and then when the ratings dip or the writing gets a little stale (or both) they change their minds.

Last edited by cooleddie74; March 5 2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old March 5 2014, 12:52 AM   #621
Wadjda
Commander

The last thing i think of when i see Filoni is Hollywood.
Old March 5 2014, 05:51 AM   #622
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote:
Were I a Clone, I would be determined to go around with a helmet on (not a clone trooper one, either).
It would be a stormtrooper one.
Old March 5 2014, 09:17 AM   #623
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Or a mandalorian one? I mean it certainly accounts for why Boba seems to keep the helmet on in public.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 10:15 AM   #624
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

That, plus the intimidation factor of the "mysterious, unknown hunter who always gets his prey." Much like Vader, Boba's hidden visage helped propagate his legend, notoriety and aura. Who's behind the helmet's visor? A man? An exotic alien? A droid?

It's not a bad selling point, really: not only is this guy the best in the known galaxy, but he looks very mysterious when he's doing it.

Old April 20 2014, 12:59 AM   #625
Reverend
Rear Admiral

A new clip has been released. Short and sweet.

I'm really liking what I've seen so far. Really captures the feel of the original trilogy and I really appreciate how they're using a lot of Ralph McQuarrie's concept art as a central aesthetic touchstone and not just a sorce from which to pilfer unused designs.

Incidentally, I've been reading some of the early drafts for the original movie and I think there may be some inspiration drawn from here too. Can't quite articulate why, but there's something about the group dynamic that feels very reminiscent.
Old April 20 2014, 01:13 AM   #626
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I just saw that over on Facebook. For what it is I really liked it and I'm going to remain open-minded about the new series. I'm kinda glad they used a fairly original sound for the Ghost's main cannons instead of recycling the old, familiar blaster sounds we've been hearing since 1977.

Old April 20 2014, 01:37 AM   #627
Christopher
Writer

Hmm... the character animation seems a little bouncy for my tastes. And I still hate the droid's "voice," which sounds to me like some guy going "wuh-wuh-wuh" through a ring modulator.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 02:40 AM   #628
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

In Weisman we trust.
Old April 20 2014, 03:04 AM   #629
Christopher
Writer

Oh, I trust in the writing, but that doesn't mean I'll like everything about the show. I mean, I never cared for the character design style on Spectacular Spider-Man even though I loved the writing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 08:46 AM   #630
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Oh, I trust in the writing, but that doesn't mean I'll like everything about the show. I mean, I never cared for the character design style on Spectacular Spider-Man even though I loved the writing.
I agree that the animation looks a little too busy and the droid's dialogue doesn't sound right...but at this stage I'm not about to start nitpicking the details. I had similar thoughts when I first saw some footage for TCW and it wasn't long before I got used to the style. Now I can't imagine it being any other way.

To be fair, the droid's voice is a catch-22 situation. On the one hand they need it to be articulate, totally distinct from R2 but still clearly droidspeak and the best way to do that it to modulate a vocal performance. On the other hand they have to start pretty much from scratch and can't draw from Ben Burtt's extensive library of R2 beeps and boops.

Bit of an odd observation, but one thing I did notice that felt very much OT was the explosion effect of the TIE. They look like comped explosions rather than the more dynamic simulated CG explosions from the PT. Also the music queue they used felt right out of ANH with the old high-octane swashbuckling adventure vibe. In fact I'm pretty sure it is one of Williams' compositions from the Death Star assault.

[EDIT]

Speak of the devil.

Last edited by Reverend; April 20 2014 at 09:03 AM.