Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 15 2014, 05:49 AM   #436
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Greg Weisman's part of the team running this show. I have faith wrt female characters.

Last edited by Kestrel; February 15 2014 at 08:21 PM.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 06:22 AM   #437
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

And don't forget Filoni. He oversaw a number of female characters on The Clone Wars and made them very memorable and textured. There'll be a strong female character at some point in spite of XD's demographics skewing male and action-oriented. Somebody at some point would probably mandate it anyways just to avoid flak.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 07:48 AM   #438
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Oh definitely, but I've not watched The Clone Wars. Young Justice and particularly Gargoyles though...
Old February 15 2014, 08:16 AM   #439
Wadjda
Lieutenant Commander

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Of the two character we've seen so far, it sounds like a good series premise. A disgraced former Jedi training a teenage Han Solo type who has the Force but doesn't know it. Hopefully the female character will be strong. Are there only the three main characters then?
She is a relative of Cham Syndulla. Of course she will be strong.
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 08:44 AM   #440
davejames
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I didn't see a thing I liked in the Coming Soon video. Those oversized stormtrooper helmets, assuming those are production proportions, would drive me crazy pretty quickly. This is coming off as the Wendy, Marvin, and Wonder Dog of the Star Wars universe, a.k.a. Bob the Discount Jedi, and I'm not liking the sound of it. It's a good thing it's airing on Disney Channel first, because if I don't like what I see there, it will be an all but certain pass. As of all this, it seems likely targeted exclusively at a much younger audience than first run OT fans like me. Not really that unexpected, though.
Well it's set in the world of the OT, so it's already a thousand times cooler and more interesting as far as I'm concerned. TCW show might have had some good characters and stories, but ultimately the war and prequel setting were so uninteresting I was just never able to really care about any of it.

And I think some of these characters actually DO sound pretty cool. They've got a lot of the same rough around the edges, hard-scrabble feel that Han and Luke had. Which is definitely preferable to a bunch of dull Jedi, at least as far as I'm concerned.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 08:50 AM   #441
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
And I think some of these characters actually DO sound pretty cool. They've got a lot of the same rough around the edges, hard-scrabble feel that Han and Luke had. Which is definitely preferable to a bunch of dull Jedi, at least as far as I'm concerned.
What I've boldfaced is precisely what makes it seem like it could be a junior Super Friends version of the OT. Ugh.
Old February 15 2014, 02:34 PM   #442
Christopher
Writer

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
If we go by those publicity photos ... which would "seem to represent the full level of detail" as you put it, then the results are, as I mention, "strikingly more simplistic when compared to just how detailed and gritty the Clone Wars was becoming."
And it's unfair to assume anything about the fully animated work based on a couple of single-frame excerpts. Context is important.

When I saw the first character design drawings and still frames from Batman: The Animated Series back in the '90s, I thought they looked awful -- ridiculously crude and cartoony. But once I saw them in motion, once I saw the full creation of which the still image was just a tiny cross-section, I thought it was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen on TV. The same with X-Men Evolution -- the still character designs looked ugly to me, but once they were brought to life, I was amazed at how beautiful the animation was. You can't judge an animated film from a single frame any more than you can judge a piece of music from a single note. Animation is designed to be seen in motion -- that's why it's called that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 02:36 PM   #443
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I'm curious as to how they'll handle defeating the 'bad guys'. If the redshirts are stormtroopers are they really going to show them being lightsaber'd and blasted left and right in a kid show? Droids as cannon-fodder are one thing...
Old February 15 2014, 03:08 PM   #444
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ They did precisely that in Clone Wars. Though, with the move from Cartoon Network to Disney XD, it's safe to consider that there would be a reduction in the amount and nature of on-screen violence and death.

Christopher wrote: View Post
If we go by those publicity photos ... which would "seem to represent the full level of detail" as you put it, then the results are, as I mention, "strikingly more simplistic when compared to just how detailed and gritty the Clone Wars was becoming."
And it's unfair to assume anything about the fully animated work based on a couple of single-frame excerpts. Context is important.

You can't judge an animated film from a single frame any more than you can judge a piece of music from a single note. Animation is designed to be seen in motion -- that's why it's called that.
I'm not sure why you're contradicting yourself.
Christopher wrote: View Post
the publicity photos seem to represent the full level of detail.
In any case, I'm not sure what your point is since I've already stated:

Yeah, this new design looks more, "cartoonish" with its more rounded edges and less detail on the costume and background.

Then again, more detail may be added prior to the airing of the show.
Since I've restricted my comments to the artistic style of the promotional material thus far, and since I've already stated that what we've been given may not represent the final result, your notion that I'm making assumptions on the final animation is incorrect.

Also, while the more simplistic designs do not appeal to me as much as the more detailed, grittier look of Clone Wars (they aren't bad, actually), I've also stated:

After going through my reservations on Genndy Tartakovsky's artistic style, and that of Filoni's subsequent interpretation of it, I'm going to give the artistic style of this incarnation a bit of leeway. If the stories are good - as they were with both Tartakovsky and Filoni 1.0 - then the style won't make one bit of difference to me.
Old February 15 2014, 03:54 PM   #445
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

DDD...D Unit wrote: View Post
Kanan is not a detective.
Neither was Pavan, really.
Old February 15 2014, 04:04 PM   #446
Wadjda
Lieutenant Commander

At least he was pretending.
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 04:06 PM   #447
Christopher
Writer

The point is that even if the stills show the fully rendered level of detail, that doesn't actually tell us how effective that level of detail will look in motion. What works in stills and what works in animation are two different matters. As I said, the low level of detail in Batman: TAS's designs looked bad to me in stills, but it looked far richer in motion. In animation, with the images in rapid motion, with less time to study each frame, a more impressionistic approach can work better. Collectively, all the different images and motions coming together in our minds contain richer information than a single frame. So what looks "not detailed enough" in a still frame can be just the right amount of detail in motion, because the motion itself adds so much.

And I don't really see any difference in detail or "grittiness," whatever that means, between the two design styles. The TCW design style was very simplified and marionettish, often to an ugly degree; if anything, this seems about equally detailed, just less angular and blocky, more naturalistic. TCW's art style seemed to draw on a mix of Genndy Tartakovsky's hyperstylization and Gerry Anderson's puppet characters, while this is more a 3D rendering of Ralph McQuarrie's design style.

Old February 15 2014, 07:36 PM   #448
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I'm willing to give the animation style a chance. Honestly, when Clone Wars premiered in '08 I thought the animation looked like crap at first and it took me a little while to warm to it. And if you've seen any episodes of Droids or Ewoks from the mid-eighties then this new show looks like classical artwork compared to that style.

The animation isn't the issue for me. I just want good writing that doesn't seem too sanitized and dumbed down for a Disney-owned cable channel catering to younger viewers.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 07:42 PM   #449
Christopher
Writer

Well, look at it this way: The first time Disney and Greg Weisman worked together, we got Gargoyles.

Old February 17 2014, 05:07 PM   #450
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral