Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 18 2013, 05:34 PM   #211
Christopher
Writer

Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

I don't see how it's a downgrade. Leia was a pretty awesome character in her own right in the original trilogy. Yes, she was the only woman around for the most part, and she did tend to get cast in the damsel-in-distress role, but she subverted that role by being perfectly capable of participating constructively in her own rescue -- something that's par for the course for action heroines today, but mainly because Leia pioneered the change.

Besides, Leia's more than just a fighter. Fighters can't do much by themselves; they need leaders and planners and strategists to tell them what to do. Leia is a princess, a senator, and one of the leading decision-makers in the Rebellion. Luke is an eager, impulsive kid with the ability to use the Force; Han is a dissolute scoundrel who's mainly out for self-interest. Leia is the brains of the operation. So if the show focused on the development of Leia's leadership abilities, the growth of her political career and the awakening of her rebel sympathies, that wouldn't conflict with anything from the movies.

Honestly, I don't know why you guys are only talking about her latent Force potential. That's far from the most interesting thing about Leia as a character. If anything, it's a distraction from the aspects that make her interesting. She has a hell of a lot going for her as a character that has nothing to do with whether she can move pebbles with her mind.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 05:40 PM   #212
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

That's been my point, though. Develop her other character traits and backstory. The Force stuff comes in ROTJ and even later on. I was just pointing out in earlier posts that as the daughter of Anakin and brother of Luke she's likely quite strong in the Force but doesn't know nor tap into it until the very end of the Original Trilogy and the stories that come afterwards. There's no storytelling need to delve into it when she's still many years from meeting Luke, Han and the others.

I don't want to see a Force-wielding kid or teenage Leia - at all. I want to see at least a glimpse of how she matures into the youngest Senator in galactic history and find out what her adoptive father teaches her about politics, subterfuge and diplomacy. We're all fans - we know she's the daughter of the Chosen One and has Force powers. That gets revealed in ROTJ, not when she's a little girl or precocious teenager learning about who sits where in the Senate chamber and how standard blaster weapons operate.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151

Last edited by cooleddie74; October 18 2013 at 06:18 PM.
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 08:08 PM   #213
Reverend
Rear Admiral

For the record, by my count Leia gets rescued a grand total of ONCE in the whole trilogy (well twice if you count that bit with Lando, which I don't) and even then she's the one that rescues them from their botched attempt and makes an escape route. Incidentally once is the same number of times both Han and Luke get rescued.

As for her arse kicking credentials, remember that the first time we see her she shoots a stormtrooper right between the eyes, back talks both Vader and Tarkin and even tries to bluff them into attacking an empty base. That alone takes stones.

Admittedly she has less to do in tESB, but in RotJ she pulls a double bluff to successfully infiltrate Jabba's court then strangles the bugger with her bare hands. Gets into a high speed speederbike chase, fights her way out of an Imperial ambush, gets shot and yet is still able to nail two troopers between the eyes and come back with a sarcastic quip...bringing things full circle you might say.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 06:46 AM   #214
Dream
Admiral

Is it obvious that we will be getting episodes with a 13 year old Leia, 13 year old Luke, and a 22 year old Han Solo in their separate adventures? You just KNOW the writers won't be able to resist!

Last edited by Dream; October 19 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 08:45 AM   #215
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I can't wait to see the thrilling adventures Luke has browsing the aisles of an intergalactic Pep Boys, trying to decide whether going for the more expensive power converter for his airspeeder is worth the price.
Old October 19 2013, 12:02 PM   #216
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I can't see them using Luke for anything other than in incidental cameo. Old Ben Kenobi on the other hand....
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 12:06 PM   #217
Nine of Four
Commander

^ I agree. They could have stories featuring Leia and Han, but it would be close to impossible to feature Luke.
Old October 19 2013, 12:27 PM   #218
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, during his childhood all he's basically doing is helping out on the farm, getting in trouble with his friends and giving headaches to Owen and Beru. Obi-Wan is keeping a watchful eye from a discreet distance but I can't imagine that Old Ben has many run-ins at all with Luke prior to the events of Episode IV (there's an EU story where he rescues Luke and his friend Windy when they get stranded in the desert and returns them to the Lars moisture farm, only to have a very perturbed Owen tell him to go away and never come back).

The less any new series has to do with Luke Skywalker the better for all involved. Let the boy grow up on the farm and not get sucked into half a dozen wild adventures. Focus on Leia if you're going to write any story or stories about a Skywalker twin.

Old October 19 2013, 02:55 PM   #219
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Jeyl wrote:
All you'll be doing is building up potential and squashing it.
This is the same reason we never see Anakin do anything really amazing with the Force in the PT.

Dream wrote: View Post
Is it obvious that we will be getting episodes with a 13 year old Leia, 13 year old Luke, and a 22 year old Han Solo in their separate adventures? You just KNOW the writers won't be able to resist!
I would agree, just with the word "separate" removed.
Old October 19 2013, 03:19 PM   #220
Nine of Four
Commander

^ I think if they did an episode where all three or even two met, it would piss off not just me but a lot ofother fans....
Old October 19 2013, 03:51 PM   #221
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

They'll all have clashes with Grievous every other week, too. Grievous is dead, you say? One word: Maul. That's right, Lil' Luke, Lil' Leia, and Han ( yes, Han ) will all be doing PT-Jedi acrobatics, wielding lightsabers and fighting Grievous, who as usual will be going full retard by needlessly blocking strikes with all four blades.
Old October 19 2013, 03:58 PM   #222
Stephen!
Captain

Bringing Grievous back seems quite possible
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/N-K_Necrosis
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 07:22 PM   #223
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Let's not. Leave Grievous dead. I liked him, but just....no.

Old October 19 2013, 10:58 PM   #224
Beagleman
Captain

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Bringing Grievous back seems quite possible
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/N-K_Necrosis
And people say one can't take the EU seriously, pffft...
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 11:48 PM   #225
Nine of Four
Commander

I was so mad when they brought Maul back that I almost marched into the Clone Wars studios and ripped up all their scripts.

I would be twice as mad if Grevious came back......