Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 12 2014, 05:40 PM   #1
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Teen Titans TV Show coming?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...ng-in-the-lead

Another week, another DC Comics TV show in the works. This time, the project is on cable, as TNT is near a deal to produce a pilot for Titans – as in Teen Titans. Variety reported the news, revealing the lead in the potential series would be Nightwing/Dick Grayson, the former Robin. Variety names Starfire and Raven as other members of the team.

Akiva Goldsman is executive producing – meaning the writer of Batman & Robin is returning to a Bat-connected project. The eclectic Goldsman has been plenty busy since, writing and/or producing films like A Beautiful Mind, I Am Legend, The Da Vinci Code, Lone Survivor and much more. On TV, Goldsman also was a writer, director and consulting producer on Fringe for much of its run.

Marc Haimes (Men in Black II, The Legend of Zorro) will serve as co-executive producer. Goldsman and Haimes will write the pilot together, says the Wall Street Journal.
Warner Bros, under their Warner Horizon Television branch, will of course produce Titans, which, if it goes to series, would join Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, Constantine and iZombie among DC-based properties on the air.
This could be interesting, although I don't know enough about TNT to know if they'd be willing to do a good Superhero show, or if its more likely to be teen drama with super powers.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Teen Titans TV Show coming?

This would have to go in the 'Reserve Judgement' folder, particularly with Akiva Goldsman involved (curiously enough, he wrote both of the only big screen films to feature Dick Grayson, not counting the 1966 Batman movie). But if they're aiming for the camp and light-hearted vein of the enjoyable cartoon Teen Titans, his came style wouldn't be as unwelcome as it would if he were to be announced as the writer of the next Batman film.

WB is building up quite the TV franchise here. Other than Flash and Arrow, I wonder how inter-connected those shows will be?
Old September 12 2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Relayer1
Commodore

And DC still won't be able to put together a joined-up film/TV universe...
Old September 12 2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^I think they've made a conscious decision not to connect their TV and film universes. There will probably be some degree of connectivity between the TV shows (certainly Arrow and Flash) and between the films.
Old September 12 2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I found this a week ago. Then I downloaded 2 years worth of promotional material that was supposed to prime me for the first episode.

If the TV show is green lit, the firsty thing DC is going to do is tell these people to pack up their #### and #### off.

I suppose animation rights are different, or will their deal with Cartoon Network for Titans Go! lapse?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2014, 09:50 PM   #6
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

This show will suffer from the same problem as Birds of Prey. We want to see the big hitters not the teen sidekicks. Still good writing can save most things so there is still hope.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2014, 09:58 PM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

To some of us, the Teen Titans are big hitters.

Every knows who Robin is, and now we get to him mac on an alien princess.

Result!

Old September 12 2014, 10:05 PM   #8
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
To some of us, the Teen Titans are big hitters.

Every knows who Robin is, and now we get to him mac on an alien princess.

Result!
Before the reboot, most of the Teen Titans had taken over for their namesakes at least at one point.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2014, 10:27 PM   #9
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Because they were so old!

Old September 12 2014, 11:30 PM   #10
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I just don't find any appeal in "teen superheroes" at all. It just shatters my suspension of disbelief too much.

Sure, Robin has the benefit of being cool to a certain degree (sometimes), but even his existence is ridiculous considering who and what Batman is. If he wasn't such a huge part of the mythos, there's no way the modern take on Batman would have taken a sidekick, let alone a kid.
Old September 12 2014, 11:46 PM   #11
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Worked okay for the X-Men.
Old September 13 2014, 12:08 AM   #12
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
This show will suffer from the same problem as Birds of Prey. We want to see the big hitters not the teen sidekicks. Still good writing can save most things so there is still hope.
Not having "big hitters" wasn't what was wrong with 'Birds of Prey', it was weak writing, low production values and an unwillingness to fully commit to the idea of a superhero show.
They also needed a better gimmick for Huntress than "her eyes go all catlike sometimes because her mum was Catwoman."

Aside from my distaste for the Burton, quasi-supernatural meta-human version of Selina Kyle, it didn't make a whole lot of sense, nor did it seem to even add anything beyond a paper thin excuse to call her self "Huntress".

As for a 'Teen Titans' show....I don't know, could easily be very bad. Like all the worst things about Smallville multiplied by a factor of five.

Also, between Arrow, Flash and now Gotham they're rather saturating the market. On the other hand it could be worth it just to see how they deal with live action versions of Raven and Starfire...
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2014, 12:23 AM   #13
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I've liked a lot of the pre-reboot Teen Titans comics, and stuff like the old teen Titans cartoon (NOT the TT Go! version) and Young Justice were excellent, so I think teen heroes can be done right. I think a live action version could work, but making it just another teen drama would probably sink it. If they were to have a balance and not shy away from having superhero stuff, I think a Teen Titans live action show could be great. It could also easily be early Smallville (the high school years specifically) but worse, or just another teen angsty drama, but until we learn more I'm excited by this news.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2014, 12:49 AM   #14
urbandefault
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I found this a week ago. Then I downloaded 2 years worth of promotional material that was supposed to prime me for the first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPYWCrHLJM

If the TV show is green lit, the firsty thing DC is going to do is tell these people to pack up their #### and #### off.

I suppose animation rights are different, or will their deal with Cartoon Network for Titans Go! lapse?
I was on board until they showed Batman. That cowl ruined it, and the guy trying to not breathe through his mouth didn't help.

Reverend wrote: View Post
Icemizer wrote: View Post
Not having "big hitters" wasn't what was wrong with 'Birds of Prey', it was weak writing, low production values and an unwillingness to fully commit to the idea of a superhero show.
They also needed a better gimmick for Huntress than "her eyes go all catlike sometimes because her mum was Catwoman."

Aside from my distaste for the Burton, quasi-supernatural meta-human version of Selina Kyle, it didn't make a whole lot of sense, nor did it seem to even add anything beyond a paper thin excuse to call her self "Huntress".

<snip>
Birds of Prey was so long ago, and I saw so few episodes, it's hard for me to remember. I liked the concept, but it was gone before I could really get into it.
Old September 13 2014, 01:00 AM   #15
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's just so hard to pin down which "era" of Titans I want.

I do not like that Cyborg is in the JLA.

It opens the door to a Teen Titans version of someone who should be int he Titans.

"Kid-Cyborg"

(I just vomited a little.)

Although... Deathlocket (13 year old girl, version of Deathlock.) turned out weirdly entertaining.