RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,676
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 810
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Who requisitioned 7 years worth of maternity leave?
Tom? 13 81.25%
B'Elanna? 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29 2013, 12:39 PM   #76
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Who would have had to quit their job to look after baby Miral?

Hawaii is a state of mind.

I say if you're not allowed into America without a strip search, and so many of us are not, then you shouldn't have to be forced to put your clothes back on until after you leave the States for somewhere else more civilized.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 12:55 PM   #77
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I don't think they actually strip you unless the dogs start humping your leg. They just pat you all over your body.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 01:01 PM   #78
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's a post 911 World.

Even white people are subject to random anal cavity searches.

Old May 29 2013, 01:03 PM   #79
teacake
Admiral

I would fucking DIE.

Or probably punch someone and go to prison. Where there would be more searches

I just remembered that I was strip searched once in a foreign country. But I only had to take off my bra. It wasn't very traumatic.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 29 2013, 01:17 PM   #80
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

These things are only traumatizing if you want them to be which is usually because your parents trained you to respond in such a way.

Fuck modesty.

But if they don't have someone with especially little hands, or a tool designed to ease the process, it doesn't seem like a useful perfunction of pain.

Oh and "time" is a factor.

10 minutes vs. 2 days?

Unless US Customs makes us sign a document that permits them to "possibly" strip search any of us dirty foreigners before we board some plane to America, otherwise they should pay for a return ticket home if we refuse to have our bunghole explored.

Old May 29 2013, 01:51 PM   #81
teacake
Admiral

This is killing my Hawaii dream.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 29 2013, 02:27 PM   #82
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I've barely researched the subject, but in 1890-something the US Navy... EIGHTEEN-NINETY-SOMETHING... The US Navy cruised into Port, told the Royal Family to fuck and annexed Hawaii bloodlessly.

There's still a royal family in exile, but no one cares.

It's a completely different holocaust/land grab from a completely different set of disenfranchised aborigines.

But I know how women think.

Thomas Magnum doesn't live there any more, and he's rather old now.

Oh?

Really?

You were into Higgins too?

Old May 29 2013, 02:37 PM   #83
Brit
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The age old argument about is there money in the Federation?

Even if there's no money in the Federation, Voyager's economy runs on replicator rations.

Hmmm?

They're communists, so even Suder locked in his room, or the Equinox 5 slave labour gets the same ration as Janeway.

Do the kids get the same replicator ration as the adults?

Baby Naomi, get's the same replicator ration as a full sized adult.

Note.

You don't pay for food in the mess.

You don't pay for your room or air.

You don't pay for holodeck time, but then again Holodeck time is probably rationed out evenly... Which means there just be a conversion table for holodeck time to raplicator rations to holodeck time.
Which brings up the question that has been hovering around in my mind for years. Who was keeping track of all the holodeck time and replicator rations? This question comes from almost 30 years of reconciling bank statements to Accounts Payable postings. First with pencil and paper and later with Excel because if it is one thing I've learned in all these years is that the software hasn't been invented yet that can do that for you. Lots of software companies have programs, and lots of software companies say that they have the ability to do this, but once you look at the end product you know they can't.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 02:56 PM   #84
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The reason they need rationing is because the ship doesn't have infinite reserves.

If some bugger was to stock pile their rations for weeks or months until they could use up the complete ships entire replicator reserve in one fell swoop, screwing over everyone else... Well that would hardly be fair.

The only way to do this with any fairness is to have "no rollover".

If you don't use all of your ration per week, bad fucking luck.

Meanwhile if the ships in the middle of a catastrophe, replicator rationing is going to be wound back to zero and/or ignored.

Of course here's the bonus to such an issue.

Rationing, the amount you get each week, is probably not constant/consistent, but an actual percentage of what ever surplus is allotted for the crew depended on the non fixed actual complete reserve.

Which is odd.

Because the less you use, the more they give everyone, and if you still use even less, then they further give everyone even more.

In New Zealand, a while back, we had a joke political party who wanted to abandon paper currency and replace dollars with kilogram bags of sand. Now you might think that that's insane, but it got worse... On the first day of the month one bag of sand ='s one dollar, but on the 2nd day of the one dollar equals 2bags of sand and so on, until the end of the month when one dollar ='s 30 or 31 bags of sand.

The McGillicutty Serious Party did everything they needed to do to become elected if they did get the votes, but it was truly just an excuse to get violently drunk in a kilt.

Old June 10 2013, 03:29 AM   #85
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

This thread has taken an entirely unexpected turn in my absence. Nudity, cavity searches, and sand dollars.

I tell you, it's way better than the TOS forum, where every thread seemingly falls into the gravity well of "JJTREK SUKCS11!!!"

I like this place!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:19 AM   #86
Lynx
Rear Admiral

The age old argument about is there money in the Federation?

Even if there's no money in the Federation, Voyager's economy runs on replicator rations.

Hmmm?

They're communists, so even Suder locked in his room, or the Equinox 5 slave labour gets the same ration as Janeway.

Do the kids get the same replicator ration as the adults?

Baby Naomi, get's the same replicator ration as a full sized adult.

Note.

You don't pay for food in the mess.

You don't pay for your room or air.

You don't pay for holodeck time, but then again Holodeck time is probably rationed out evenly... Which means there just be a conversion table for holodeck time to raplicator rations to holodeck time.

Chakotay got Tom (squint) kicked off the ship for gambling with Replicator rations, yet even Janeway was gambling with replicator rations over the babies sex (due date?) by year seven.

So the black market is a gray area.

Childcare is one of the only few possible legal revenue streams on Voyager.

Before, I've always said that Sam Wildman and Neelix were doing it.

Sex.

But maybe hey weren't?

Maybe it's that everyone else on the ship didn't understand money and found that working for "money" was a little distatseful, and that they would, if they were going to look after the kid, rather volunteer their time for free, which they don't really feel like doing.

It's like when you look after your brothers kids.

It costs 40 to 80 dollars per head to look after them in an interesting meangful way, going somewhere fun, but you're a jerk if you don't foot the bill yourself, so you don't take them out as often as you should.

Neelix was the only person skeevy enough on board to take money from a baby.
No, they are not communists.

I guess that the Federation has a political system much better and more developed than barbaric, inhumane systems like Communism and Capitalism.

If they had been communists, then we would have had mass executions in every episode.

First of all, Janeway would have executed all Maquis, including Chakotay and Torres for being enemies to the Federation and potential subversives.

Then Tuvok would have been executed for being a Maquis spy and as Chief Of Security a potential threat. Vorik would have become Chief of Security instead.

Then Paris would have been executed for being a Maquis spy.

Then Kim would have been executed for being a friend of Paris and therefore a potential spy.

Then Carey would have been executed for sabotage the day the warp engines didn't function as they should.

Then Vorik would have been executed for being a supporter of the traitor Tuvok and Seven would have become the new Chief of Security.

Then Neelix would have been executed for trying to poison the Captain. Kes would have been executed as the leader of that attempt to overthrow Janeway.

Then Samantha Wildman would have been executed for being a supporter of the Neelix-Kes Faction. Naomi had been put in the brig and starved to death there as the daughter of a traitor.

Then Seven Of Nine would have been executed as a traitor and a Borg spy. The Doctor would have become the new Chief of Security.

Then Janeway would have been executed as an enemy of the Party and the State and for also being a Kazon spy. The Doctor would have taken over as the Captain of the ship.

Then the surviving 25-30 members of the crew would have shut down The Doctors program and declared him an enemy of the Party and the State, a Klingon spy and traitor. Lieutenant Rollins would have taken over as Captain of the ship.

And so on........

"That's Communism, m'sieu" as Elena Ceausescu used to say.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:34 AM   #87
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You do understand the difference between political communism and economic communism and that they are not always intrinsically connected?

The root word is community.

Do you have something against communities?

Trip said "these people have a lot to learn about making a free society." When he saw a shanty town on the outskirts of a megacity in season one Enterprise.

Quark called Sisko a very generous land lord for not charging his bar "rent" ever.

Technology and power production are at such a magnificent surplus, that the only people who need to toil to keep the lights on are actually volunteers who want to be part of the process, ie Starfleet and other civilian services like the Government.

"Working not towards profit but for the betterment of all mankind" as Picard explained to Lilly Sloan in First Contact.

No money.

Now as to the question of democracy and voting for representation, that's a much more confusing conversation.

Old June 10 2013, 09:17 AM   #88
teacake
Admiral

Lynx wrote: View Post
Then Neelix would have been executed for trying to poison the Captain.
Because of bad cooking? Or bad coffee?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 10 2013, 05:31 PM   #89
Lynx
Rear Admiral

You do understand the difference between political communism and economic communism and that they are not always intrinsically connected?

The root word is community.

Do you have something against communities?

Trip said "these people have a lot to learn about making a free society." When he saw a shanty town on the outskirts of a megacity in season one Enterprise.

Quark called Sisko a very generous land lord for not charging his bar "rent" ever.

Technology and power production are at such a magnificent surplus, that the only people who need to toil to keep the lights on are actually volunteers who want to be part of the process, ie Starfleet and other civilian services like the Government.

"Working not towards profit but for the betterment of all mankind" as Picard explained to Lilly Sloan in First Contact.

No money.

Now as to the question of democracy and voting for representation, that's a much more confusing conversation.
Yes, I do understand the difference.

And as I stated in my previous post, in the future Star Trek Universe, they have in some way found or created a new way of life where all the disadvanages of the 20th century ideologies are overcome.

But the word "communism" in almost all cases brings up the memory of the Soviet Union and the other countries where that ideology (well, at least the Marxist-Leninist interpretation of that word) were in charge and where executions and trials in the way I described it in my "Voyager turns Communist" nightmare were common. I could go into it in detail but this forum and this thread isn't the right place for it.

Teacake wrote:
Because of bad cooking? Or bad coffee?
None of it really. Just an excuse for getting rid of someone in the Communist way.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote