Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 26 2013, 06:25 PM   #16
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Again on Greece

I forgot to mention the Greek government cut the minimum wage too.

Since the IMF speaks with forked tongue, plainly I cannot assume nefarious motives.

Come to think of it, austerity as demanded by the ECB and the Commission is surely merely bad economics. Thus, nor can I assume nefarious motives are driving them.

And since There Is No Alternative to one of the orthodox bourgeois economic ideologies, then plainly I and people like me are clearly Enemies of the Good Capitalism, and should at the least shut up.

I'll think of it as civic mobilization!
Old May 26 2013, 06:51 PM   #17
horatio83
Commodore

Re: Again on Greece

Why should you shut up? You are saying the same think as all sane people, that austerity doesn't work, hurts poor people and is an excuse for neoliberal policies.

But I have a problem with your ideological framing (and this is after all the key issue underneath our discussion, you think that the European sovereign debt crisis is a general crisis of capitalism, I think that you can easily solve it without any large systemic changes. You think that a market economy with decent rules and reduced political power of capital / the rich is is, à la Kalecki, not politically feasible, I think it is.)

"Bourgeois economics" (As opposed to what, Marxist economics? Last time I checked none of Marx' predictions happened in reality and as a good empiricist I cast out a theoretical model which hasn't worked.) says that during a recession in which interest rates are close to zero (aka liquidity trap) and conventional monetary policy is impotent you have to conduct expansionary fiscal policy to close the output gap and increase employment.
As we just conducted the largest experiment since the Great Depression and the empirical results are fairly unambiguous and have confirmed basic macro research institutions like the IMF start to change their minds.

You can pretend that this is the "true" communist left vs. all the bourgeois squeezers of the working class (which I guess includes social democrats like myself) but the reality is less black and white. The best recent piece on austerity in Europe I know is done by one of these evil bourgeois economists, Paul de Grauwe, a centrist liberal. If you know any Marxist economic analysis which is better I am all ears.