RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 701
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 17 2013, 04:34 AM   #1
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile
Sy Fy cancels Alphas

The show won't be coming back for a third season:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/16/alphas-cancelled/

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 04:58 AM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Sy Fy cancels Alphas

I never could get into this show. The pilot episode lost me half-way through, and I never heard anything really buzzworthy about it to lure me back. It was just sorta, I dunno, there.
Old January 17 2013, 05:06 AM   #3
Hugo Rune
Fleet Captain

The show certainly didn't fall apart like many bemoaned it would after the departure of Ira Steven Behr at the end of Season 1, but neither did it latch onto the grander, epic feeling he left the show aiming towards. In the end, even if "the big picture" felt somewhat stunted it did open some intereresting character beats and emotional avenues.

A decent time filler, with a pretty likable set of characters.

A pity.

Hugo - Bill's the muscle.
Old January 17 2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Huh, I tried it, but, after sticking through all 4 seasons of Heroes, my appetite for the show it seemed to be (based upon the first couple episodes) was pretty sated, so I didn't follow it, but, I was under the impression it was doing really well?

Sorry for the folks who watched it regularly

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Hugo Rune
Fleet Captain

It wasn't brilliant, but it certainly was diverting. Like most of SyFy's material, hardly edgy or groundbreaking, a bit predictable at times, but put together with charm and care by its crew and actors.

It took 7-8 episodes to find its own groove but when it did find its feet it was substantially more entertaining that Seasons 2-4 for Heroes.

Though that show did have the trainwreck "it-can't-get-any-worse-oh-no-sh*t-it-did" appeal that no show has developed since. Well, American Horror Story is having a good go...

Hugo - We're here on official business so you have to respect the badge!
Old January 17 2013, 05:32 AM   #6
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I think with this SyFy has firmly stolen Fox's reputation for cancelling shows too soon.
Old January 17 2013, 05:34 AM   #7
Borgminister

Not too bummed, although I did catch it. Warehouse 13 is better.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 05:38 AM   #8
throwback
Captain

I watched the show to its end. It ended on a cliff hanger. I wasn't anticipating a resolution to that cliff hanger.

I am looking forward to Lost Girl, Warehouse 13, and the final two episodes of Haven's current season.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:05 AM   #9
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I watched the first several episodes, the characters were really blah and forgettable. I didn't really bother with it too much. Still probably better than what they will replace it with.
Old January 17 2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I know it's probably a non-realistic hope, but maybe Warehouse 13 could do another crossover with the Alphas characters and bring resolution to the Alphas storylines (especially as some speculate that certain Warehouse agents are Alphas). It worked for The X Files and The Lone Gunmen and Millennium, right?
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:18 AM   #11
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I literally this week decided to finally check the show out, and I have the first two episodes now on the Skybox. Now I wonder if I should even bother.

Ah well. I have a lot of TV to watch as-is (I got the Forbydelsen Blu-Rays over the holidays, not to mention Borgen's second season and some other shows) and between Defiance and the return of Falling Skies and Continuum, I guess I'll have enough SF TV for the year.

Hugo Rune wrote: View Post
Though that show did have the trainwreck "it-can't-get-any-worse-oh-no-sh*t-it-did" appeal that no show has developed since. Well, American Horror Story is having a good go...
That's pretty much AHS's raison d'être. There's a TV show that basically lives on its ability to go completely off the rails every week.
Old January 17 2013, 06:23 AM   #12
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

Bummer... this isn't Respecting The Badge!
Old January 17 2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

USS Kongo wrote: View Post

Sean
This doesn't surprise me. It took them so long to announce anything I knew when they did it would be a cancellation. In most cases when Syfy renews a show, it happens while it is still on the air. When they don't it seems to happen just before production should be gearing up for a new season.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 05:54 PM   #14
John Clark
Commodore

Shame. I only started watching it (on dvd) shortly before the second series aired here. I enjoyed it
Old January 17 2013, 09:30 PM   #15
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
USS Kongo wrote: View Post

Sean
This doesn't surprise me. It took them so long to announce anything I knew when they did it would be a cancellation. In most cases when Syfy renews a show, it happens while it is still on the air. When they don't it seems to happen just before production should be gearing up for a new season.

BSG got picked up for it's first season at the very last hour before the contracts were up. Maybe they were looking at cutting costs for the lower ratings and just couldn't find a way to make it work.