Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 19 2013, 04:38 AM   #1
slipcover
Ensign

Jefferies Tube construction as seen on TOS

Hello. I am a long time reader, but this is only my second post.

I was curious about the construction of the original series Jefferies' Tube. Using Google, I easily found the original production sketches drawn by Matt Jefferies, as well as the overhead stage layout.

I had two specific questions:

1. The construction of the tube itself - I know the tube itself was created with Sonotube. It looks to be about 36 inches in diameter, and about 8 to 10 feet long. It looks to be at about a 45 degree angle. Are these conjectures close to correct?

2. The construction of the steps or stairs - I have seen many screenshots at TrekCore, but I can't figure out much. They look to be about 12 inches wide, but I really don't know. The shape really throws me. Could anyone teach me about these?

I noticed a few people had built the more... exciting sets using Lightwave. The work from both blssdwlf and Mytran is absolutely inspiring. I would love to know if anyone had done this kind of detail work on the Jefferies tube?

Thank you,
Bill
slipcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Jefferies Tube construction as seen on TOS

I recently noticed on an old still that the tube still had the manufacturer's label on it and (just like the infamous chairs) deliberately or coincidentally it read "Burke".

Sorry to be unable to offer more on the issue, but hopefully some other members can and will provide more insight.

Greetings to OK (lived there for a while)

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Mytran
Fleet Captain

slipcover: Were you just just after the dimensions of the steps or what they were actually made from? I'll check the other measurements when I get home tonight.

Bob: I have yet to spot that label, nice one!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
slipcover
Ensign

Hello!

Thank you for reading my post! I love reading your research, sir. It is always interesting to me. And it was interesting to read you once lived in Oklahoma.

Anyway, I was looking for the actual dimensions of the tube set. Especially when it comes to the strange little stairs up the tube. Honestly, I can't even really figure out how they are shaped from the stills I have seen on TrekCore. I would love to re-create them.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I am truly honored you would take the time.

Sincerely,
Bill
Old May 20 2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Robert Comsol
Commodore

It's an honor to hear your encouraging comments. Hope you or your relatives weren't affected by the twisters in Carney or Shawnee.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 04:41 AM   #6
slipcover
Ensign

We have been very lucky (so far), when it comes to destructive weather. I live in Tulsa, and the storms have occurred about 90 miles to the south west. It is really just amazing. This tornado seems to have gone right through an area it covered in 1999.
Old May 21 2013, 05:55 AM   #7
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

There's some amusing info on the original Jefferies Tube on this page (scroll down to "The Jefferies Tube on the Original Series Enterprise".

The steps or footrests appear to be simple wedge-shaped constructions of plywood or fiberboard.
Old May 21 2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Unfortunately I didn't have the measurements I though I did, sorry! That link above is useful though - the top of the tube (in charlie X) is about 6' off the ground and the bottom is about 2' - leading to an approximate diameter for the tube of 4', not 3' (as the Season 2 setplan shows). I always took the setplans as correct, but the screencaps do not lie! (see also http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...abelhd0472.jpg for a shot from Season 2)

The steps appear to be about 1' wide. The initial block is about 1' high and 6" deep.
Old May 21 2013, 09:40 AM   #9
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Mytran wrote: View Post
...leading to an approximate diameter for the tube of 4', not 3' (as the Season 2 setplan shows). I always took the setplans as correct, but the screencaps do not lie!
You're just teasing us, right?

You can get the "diameter" of the opening all the way up to five feet or six feet or any amount of feet you want simply by making the tube even steeper. The actual diameter of the tube is measured perpendicularly to the walls.

Take an empty paper towel roll cardboard core and cut it. But don't just cut it perpendicularly; cut it diagonally, at a really extreme angle--like from almost one end to almost the other end. Then measure from the top of the opening to the bottom of the opening. Abracadabra! You now have a cardboard tube that has become, like, eight inches in "diameter" instead of just an inch and a half!
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:10 AM   #10
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
...leading to an approximate diameter for the tube of 4', not 3' (as the Season 2 setplan shows). I always took the setplans as correct, but the screencaps do not lie!

You can get the "diameter" of the opening all the way up to five feet or six feet or any amount of feet you want simply by making the tube even steeper. The actual diameter of the tube is measured perpendicularly to the walls.

Take an empty paper towel roll cardboard core and cut it. But don't just cut it perpendicularly; cut it diagonally, at a really extreme angle--like from almost one end to almost the other end. Then measure from the top of the opening to the bottom of the opening. Abracadabra! You now have a cardboard tube that has become, like, eight inches in "diameter" instead of just an inch and a half!
Well, so long as you're talking about the major axis, sure. The diagonal cut will not effect the minor axis, which will remain the width of the tube no matter how you slice it.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:53 AM   #11
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Maurice wrote: View Post

Well, so long as you're talking about the major axis, sure. The diagonal cut will not effect the minor axis, which will remain the width of the tube no matter how you slice it.
Right. I think Mytran is looking at screen grabs of the major axis and thinking that is the minor axis as well, instead of relying on the actual blueprint measurements of the minor axis.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Mytran
Fleet Captain

D'oh, you're absolutely right! That will teach me to rush my calculations before heading off to work!

Sorry, back to a 3' tube it is. With a 45 degree cut across the base, simple maths show that the lower opening is indeed 4'3", which matches the screencaps perfectly. I can't believe I fell for that!

All other measurements stand...for now.
Old May 21 2013, 12:29 PM   #13
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Incidentally, if we go by the S2 setplans as an overhead view then the original tube would have been a massive 12' long before it was chopped and mounted. This would put the top of the tube at more or less the same overall height as the 10' flats the set was built from.
However, they would have had to crank the camera up considerably higher to film Scotty down from that angle.

Thoughts anyone - would this have been feasible?
Old May 21 2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Albertese
Commodore

Sure. There's a number of shots on the show where they musta took the camera into the rafters. I can't recall which episodes off the top of my head, But I can think of some shots looking down on the bridge set where you get a good look at most of it's width from above, which would have required both a pretty high camera rig and some clever use of lenses...

--Alex
Old May 21 2013, 04:50 PM   #15
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Right. I think Mytran is looking at screen grabs of the major axis and thinking that is the minor axis as well, instead of relying on the actual blueprint measurements of the minor axis.
Greg, have you ever come across any indication that the Jefferies Tube was designed to portray an access between the secondary hull and the nacelle? That 45 degree angle has always made me think that might be the case.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote