To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 19 2013, 02:24 PM   #16
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: Self-Destruct Question

I did actually find the depiction of it in "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" and TSFS to be the best. Even the laborious process of going through the senior officers to get the thing turned on... it really amps up the drama. I did find TNG's depiction of it equally well done in "1001001" and "Where Silence Has Lease", too.

But the trouble with a device like the self-destruct is that if it gets used too often it just becomes a silly trope. It loses it's punch after a little too many uses, so (for example) when Picard tries to do it in "Nemesis" we just roll our eyes.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 02:46 PM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Or if push comes to shove, fire a phaser into the warp core.
Phase pistol is enough or you need a BFG?
According to Voyager, a single hand phaser fired directly into a warp core is enough to destroy the entire ship.
Old May 19 2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Portal
Commander

Yes yes, desperate times call for desperate measures.
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:27 PM   #19
Lance
Fleet Captain

Or if push comes to shove, fire a phaser into the warp core.
According to Voyager, a single hand phaser fired directly into a warp core is enough to destroy the entire ship.
IIRC, isn't there a Klingon who basically threatens to do the same thing to the 1701-D in TNG's "Heart of Glory"? Strictly speaking it was a Klingon weapon rather than a phaser, but still.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 07:07 PM   #20
Metryq
Captain

diankra wrote: View Post
I'd read the book, so I knew what was coming. But as the countdown hit six or so, you could hear the intakes of breath, and the stifled mutters of 'No, they can't...'
My brother stood up from his seat and pointed at the screen, "No! This can't be the right reel!"
Old May 19 2013, 10:33 PM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
First Contact was nice too.
You know, Data was taking a hell of a chance in cancelling the self destruct. If his plan to flood the engine room with coolant failed, or was prevented, he basically was handing Earth to the Borg.

Balls of steel indeed.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:35 AM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post

IIRC, isn't there a Klingon who basically threatens to do the same thing to the 1701-D in TNG's "Heart of Glory"? Strictly speaking it was a Klingon weapon rather than a phaser, but still.
You're right. Even I slip-up sometimes.
Old May 20 2013, 02:05 AM   #23
Dale Sams
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Until Data demonstrated he apparently has the ability to override it by himself.
Between that and his abilities in "Brothers", Starfleet should really look into restricting his security clearances.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:15 AM   #24
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Janeway could just turn the thing on/off at will by herself.
TMP said that Scotty could (probably alway could) destroy the ship all by himself. Likely a few of the engineers aboard the ship had the ability.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:25 AM   #25
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I have to say that Star Trek III's turn was the most dramatic, and well done. The music, pacing, acting - everything worked just right. And this was done at a time when the limits hadn't really been pushed in Star Trek, as far as what they would do (Spock's death notwithstanding). I have to admit that I was totally not expecting it.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:02 AM   #26
Kenbushway
Captain

Star Trek III Search for Spock
Old May 23 2013, 01:22 AM   #27
xvicente
Commander

One good Star Trek point is that Kirk is SO in command that, despite the computer demanding 2 more officers to agree, the order is carried out with not a speck of hesitation. The other officers don't even consider any other course of action, as the 3-password activation procedure suggest they do. Kirk just issues his orders and keeps staring at the black/white dude (or was the white/black one? I forget).

Knowing him for 2 seasons at this pont, the ship's computer could as well save the trouble of asking the confirmation.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 03:42 AM   #28
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^The failsafes would come in handy for those occasions when Kirk might find himself split in two, possessed by a crazy woman, etc.

Well TNG it required Riker or two other senior officers when Picard activated it. Janeway could just turn the thing on/off at will by herself.
So apparently the difficulty of activating the self destruct sequence is inversely proportional to how many viewers care if the ship is destroyed....

Last edited by The Old Mixer; May 23 2013 at 04:02 AM.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 03:59 PM   #29
Marsden
Commander

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
^The failsafes would come in handy for those occasions when Kirk might find himself split in two, possessed by a crazy woman, etc.

Well TNG it required Riker or two other senior officers when Picard activated it. Janeway could just turn the thing on/off at will by herself.
So apparently the difficulty of activating the self destruct sequence is inversely proportional to how many viewers care if the ship is destroyed....
I think you mean directly proportional, as in many people didn't want Enterprise D destroyed and if Voyager popped most people wouldn't have noticed.

This was a joke, angry Voyager fans, I mean you no disrespect.
Old May 23 2013, 08:05 PM   #30
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^You're right, didn't think out the phrasing enough. The more people like the show, the harder it is to blow up the ship.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote