Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 21 2013, 10:58 PM   #16
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Re: Did Star Wars cash in on Star Trek?

Rather than "cashing in" on the other, I think both benefitted from each other's popularity at different times, allowing each to thrive over the years.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Flake
Commodore

I think the consensus seems to be that no, Star Wars did not cash in on Star Trek. It was infact a revolutionary film that would have broke out regardless of Trek existing or not, but Trek may have laid some important foundations that enabled Star Wars to flourish and George Lucas was influenced by Star Trek in some areas.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 12:01 AM   #18
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

"Capitalized on the popularity of Star Trek" might be a better phrase.

SW was/is a great thing on its own, but Trek was HUGE, mid-Seventies.
Old May 22 2013, 12:08 AM   #19
Christopher
Writer

plynch wrote: View Post
I thought that was basically what "cashed in on" meant. Perhaps I'm missing something about how the phrase is used.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 12:29 AM   #20
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
I thought that was basically what "cashed in on" meant. Perhaps I'm missing something about how the phrase is used.
I always thought there was a connotation of gratuitously following on the coattails of something, as, for example, all the grade B space films that came out in the wake of Star Wars. TMP wouldn't really qualify either, in that regard, but—arguably—original BSG might.
Old May 22 2013, 12:32 AM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Well, the dictionary just says it means to profit from a thing or use it to one's advantage. And Lucas has acknowledged that he did use Star Trek's reputation to his advantage, citing it as an example of a successful space opera in order to sell the studio on his movie and using a title that evoked it.

Old May 22 2013, 12:34 AM   #22
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I'm aware of that.
Old May 22 2013, 12:38 AM   #23
Belz...
Fleet Captain

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
It's my understanding that they monitored ratings differently back then. Had it been done as it's done today, it would have been shown that Star Trek had the demographics needed, and would have stayed on the air.
I'm not sure that would've been such a great thing, though. Already they seemed to be running out of ideas, their budget was being reduced, etc. It might have faded into obscurity if not for syndication.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Right, it's ridiculous to say you can't be a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars. They don't even occupy the same genre niche. ST is space-opera science fiction, while SW is epic space fantasy. Each offers things the other doesn't.
I'm a fan of Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, and sci-fi in general.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 12:42 AM   #24
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

I love both as well as many other scifi/fantasy tv shows and or movies (just click on the link in my sig to see)

I really don't understand this fight between ST & SW fans
Old May 22 2013, 02:24 AM   #25
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I think I agree with you, Belz. There's always the "what if." What if the network hadn't jerked the show around and Roddenberry had held onto control. What if the show was kept in a good timeslot. Since I personally like generally how Star Trek evolved over the years, I'm glad it went the way it did. But who knows?

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 02:30 AM   #26
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Star Trek and Star Wars are arguably not the same genre. Star Wars is a Western.

The same way Game of Thrones is a mafia series.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 02:42 AM   #27
Christopher
Writer

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Star Trek and Star Wars are arguably not the same genre. Star Wars is a Western.
Actually ST was the one that was kinda sorta pitched as a Western -- "Wagon Train to the stars." (Although, contrary to popular belief, that was more in reference to Wagon Train's storytelling format than its genre.) And it's built around the trope of pioneers braving a dangerous frontier, part of the core mythology of the American West (as well as the Great Trek of the Boers in South Africa, which seems likely to have inspired the show's title). Star Wars is a sword-and-sorcery fantasy transposed into outer space. It's explicitly presented as a fairy tale: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." And it's about people who fight with swords, wield magic, and rescue princesses while battling evil emperors, without a frontier in sight. Sure, it has some Western trappings, along with trappings of just about every other genre Lucas was ever a fan of, but Westerns aren't its primary syntax.

Old May 22 2013, 03:07 AM   #28
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

For every thing Star Wars cribbed from Star Trek, it cribbed numerous other things from other genres.

Star Wars managed to break out of the sci-fi niche and appeal to general audiences with record-breaking long lines. The original film was basically #1 for a whole year. Star Trek never came close to that sort of broad appeal, until JJTrek.

One of the other connotations of cashing in on something is that the thing riding the coattails is the lesser. That clearly wouldn't be the case here.
Old May 22 2013, 03:16 AM   #29
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post

The same way Game of Thrones is a mafia series.
So's Star Trek. Especially "Mudd's Women". A plot I've seen in more than one Western.

Game of Thrones takes partial inspiration from The War of the Roses. Was there a mafia in Plantagenet England?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 09:53 AM   #30
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

One day, this movie might happen:

Star Wars Episode VII: Star Trek is the planned seventh installment in the Star Wars film franchise. Following The Walt Disney Company's October 30, 2012 acquisition of Lucasfilm Ltd. from George Lucas, Disney announced that "Star Wars Episode VII" is scheduled for a 2015 release, to be followed by Episodes VIII and IX. Lucas will remain involved as a creative consultant on new Star Wars feature films. Screenwriter Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for Star Wars Episode VII, while J.J. Abrams will direct.
The film's story will be completely original and not based on any prior source from the Expanded Universe. The film instead combines the "Abramsverse" of the Star Trek series of 2009 onward with the Star Wars continuity. Future installments in the Star Trek series will branch off the same continuity, and will not follow a preset schedule or episodic title system.
In Episode VII, set circa 25 ABY, an alien entity travels to the Galaxy Far, Far Away from the Milky Way, and it is up to Luke Skywalker to seek help from its home galaxy to stop it. Spock discovers his latent Force power and Skywalker must help him understand it, as the crews of the Millennium Falcon and the U.S.S. Enterprise work together to stop this threat.
[IMG][/IMG]

Star Wars Episode VII: Star Trek
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote