Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 25 2013, 08:40 PM   #16
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Re: concept art and set photos!

publiusr wrote: View Post
That might actually work better as a Borg ship with mods.
Speaking of the Borg: was is just me or did the STID-creative team try and fuck with our fan-minds with the reveal of the Vengeance's drydock? At first glance it looked so much like an old-Trek Borg-ship - to me at least.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 08:44 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

At first I thought that enourmous drydock was meant to be the Botany Bay! I was thinking, "Damn, those Abrams people just have to make everything bigger"
Old May 25 2013, 10:06 PM   #18
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Q: You worked with Production Designer Scott Chambliss on this film. What's he like to work with?
Interesting. He is a designer who looks for inspiration online. Every week he would find something that we should incorporate. He doesn't have a classical design education so designing something new is not really in his vocabulary. He is a very nice guy, I just don't think he should do Sci-Fi.

Q: The designs are very original, but still captures the feel of the television design. What were the ship designs based on?
Scott had the idea of putting 3 towers together. I would have loved to design the most b***h'n Warbirds. I could not see 3 arbitrary towers moving in space, no directional orientation...
He's a very nice guy, I just think he lacks the education and creativity to work in this genre, and his ideas are derivative and untenable.

Jeesh. I know he was asked the question, but I think it's kind of rude and unprofessional to throw a peer in your field under the bus out of the blue like that. I mean, if the guy gave you a hard time on the job or was critical of your work publicly, I could understand responding that way, but Helker made no complaints of that sort and said he was a nice guy. It probably won't affect Chambliss' ability to find work at all, but it might have with the bad word of mouth.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 11:11 PM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
At first I thought that enourmous drydock was meant to be the Botany Bay!
Opening night there were people near me quietly chanting, "Botany Bay. Bot-an-y Bay..."
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 11:59 PM   #20
Kpnuts
Commodore

Suddenly the Vengeance is stunning
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:30 AM   #21
trevanian
Rear Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
Q: You worked with Production Designer Scott Chambliss on this film. What's he like to work with?
Interesting. He is a designer who looks for inspiration online. Every week he would find something that we should incorporate. He doesn't have a classical design education so designing something new is not really in his vocabulary. He is a very nice guy, I just don't think he should do Sci-Fi.
And yet he designed two Star Trek films that are beautiful to look at and have a realism to them; they don't seem as design as the old Trek productions.
I can't think of a single Chambliss Trek set that works at all -- the lighting and glass make for a glare-intensive work environment, which is the exact opposite of what you need in a control room. I think the KELVIN bridge was a little bit better in that regard, but still a real miss in terms of credibility.

If your idea of realism is contemporary pipe fittings, then I guess they won't be able to improve on this, but it sure ain't mine.

And that doesn't even get into the ugly factor. How they can take Saarinen inspiration for some structures and still have them come out so uninspiring just blows my mind. And if they had to use existing modern day stuff to shoot in, I'd have said shooting several of Calatrava's architectural marvels would have gone a long way toward seeming like a real exciting future.

In another thread here last week, I posted a bit from an interview I did with Chambliss shortly before 09 came out, and based on what he said and what I then saw, this concept art guy sounds dead on target. Ballsy as hell to go on the record though.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 02:12 AM   #22
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I love the Nibiru stills.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:15 AM   #23
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Ugh. Belker's designs are fuglier than the Vengeance.
Old May 26 2013, 04:48 AM   #24
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Maybe this was a Klingon starbase?
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 06:18 AM   #25
TheCutestofBorg
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Speaking of the Borg: was is just me or did the STID-creative team try and fuck with our fan-minds with the reveal of the Vengeance's drydock? At first glance it looked so much like an old-Trek Borg-ship - to me at least.
I could not agree with you more. It looked like a super detailed and exact replica of what a borg ship should look like. In fact when I first saw it I thought OMG its the funkin Borg.
If they end up going with the borg in the next film they need to use that exact design, except on a larger scale. Make it so large and detailed that you could fly up to it and get lost on the surface. Make the Borg ship so large and slow moving that they dont even care that you are checking them out and seem like they dont even notice you...
TheCutestofBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 08:22 AM   #26
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Unused Klingon ship concept art by Harald Belker, who worked for a time on STID

Well, those are just terrible.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 10:49 AM   #27
beamMe
Fleet Captain

I don't think that guy even tried to come up with something.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 04:03 PM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I don't think that guy even tried to come up with something.
What exactly can you come up with when your instructed by your boss to put three towers together?
Old May 26 2013, 04:16 PM   #29
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The more I look at it, the more I like it. It kinda reminds me of a old sten machine gun.

That said, it doesn't look Klingon at all. Although maybe if the Klingons reverse-engineered technology from the Narada...
Old May 26 2013, 07:15 PM   #30
starburst
Fleet Captain

Didnt cross my mind, looked just like something covered in camouflage netting to me to hide what was inside, probably has some sort of sensor jamming technology similar to the torpedoes.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote