RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,880
Posts: 5,329,350
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 661
Newest member: EvyR55

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 21 2013, 03:19 AM   #31
Johnny
Commander
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Birmingham, UK.
Re: Generations was...

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Johnny wrote: View Post
...one of the best scored Star Trek films in it's history, musically it has produced some of the most memorable motifs.
To be honest, it rather amazes me to read that because I thought Generations had one of the most forgettable movie scores I've ever heard. I have trouble remembering any of the melody even while I'm watching the film. It really strikes me as a continuation of the musical wallpaper that we heard for years on the TV show. I say that despite the fact that I enjoy that film quite a bit.

But hey, different melodies obviously work for different people. If that score grabs you, that's cool.
I think it stuck because nothing after it was ever as good. The bit of music I like about any of the films after Generations was bits of the Insurrection main theme, and the bit at the end of Nemesis where Picard walks out his office to just before it cuts to the ext shot... random.

If you ever get the inkling, listen to the Generations overture. The openings amazing, IMO.
__________________
www.digitalfilmworks.co.uk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 03:37 AM   #32
xvicente
Commander
 
xvicente's Avatar
 
Re: Generations was...

One of my many beefs with this movie is that the special effects scenes of the Enterprise going to warp, like the Klingon shi explosion, are lifted directly from the first episode of the show, the same that was reused almost ever other episode weekly for 7 years. Cheap. Then I learned that it is in fact super-advanced CGI that looks exaclty like the original shot. Technically amazing, but WTF would you use that to put the exacltly same scen in a movie? one that will be rewatched in tv sets just like the old film? dumb, ILM
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 04:42 AM   #33
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Generations was...

Johnny wrote: View Post
1. You say 'no one', but you mean, 'the people you spoke to, what you read and the stuff you watched'. I don't really call that definitive unless you worked in casting.
It's been well-documented by both the people who worked on TNG, and Patrick Stewart himself. It's not my fault that you choose not to believe the facts. I suppose you don't believe we landed men on the moon because you never worked at NASA.

2. I don't mean that the universe actually changes, I mean the viewers perception of the universe changes. Their characters were behaving in a way which showed that not everywhere in the Star Trek universe and especially places so 'close to home' are that couchy-safe-environment that TNG peddled for so long. (and for the record, I like TNG, better than I like the other series, I just like Generations more.)
If that is something you got out of this movie that makes you enjoy it, my hat is off to you. I felt no such thing.

3. I never said that Soran ever destroyed or had anything to do with the destruction of the enterprise - expect for that bit where he tortured LaForge, put an implant in his visor so the sisters could destroy the ship bit - but still, I never said it. Just said the Enterprise got in the way. Hence the point I'm trying to make about the universe not revolving around this one ship, other stuff happens which doesn't involve them, making it feel like there's more going on and generally making space... feel... big. Which is why I like the film...
See above.

4. Well were just going to have to disagree on that 2009 Star Trek film. But since this is about Generations, lets stay away from that.
If you don't care for my choice of example, then how about "All Good Things...?" Roughly the same running time as Generations, and yet not only was ALL the cast involved to more or less equal degree, Yar was even involved too. Now compare that to Generations, FC, Insurrection, and Nemesis, where it was clearly the Stewart-Spiner show, and the five others were relegated to the background.

BTW, I fixed your incorrect quotations.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:36 PM   #34
Johnny
Commander
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Birmingham, UK.
Re: Generations was...

It's been well-documented by both the people who worked on TNG, and Patrick Stewart himself. It's not my fault that you choose not to believe the facts. I suppose you don't believe we landed men on the moon because you never worked at NASA.
You haven't produced any facts, just one mans worry and a third hand statement. Nor does it dispel the on screen evidence of resetting for the next episode, before and after.

If you don't care for my choice of example, then how about "All Good Things...?" Roughly the same running time as Generations, and yet not only was ALL the cast involved to more or less equal degree, Yar was even involved too. Now compare that to Generations, FC, Insurrection, and Nemesis, where it was clearly the Stewart-Spiner show, and the five others were relegated to the background.
FC, Ins, and less so with Nemesis, were fairly naff stories and weak delivery IMO (though I still enjoy them) which I think came from the loss of the history when they got rid of the D. Not that I would change Generations, but the come back could have been done better.
As for AGT, I agree it was good, interesting story, but by the end of the episode the only real character development was Picards one-man journey and Rikers and Worfs agreement not to argue over Troi. :s Kinda defeats the whole point of development, and again we're back to nothing being different at the end of an episode.

BTW, I fixed your incorrect quotations.
Thanks, but it was delibrayte.

...And before people think that I think those episodes are awful, I love them. They're just not in my top ten, but they're in the top 10%. I don't believe they were the most adventurous in storytelling or character development, as there were episodes and films which better cover the human condition.
__________________
www.digitalfilmworks.co.uk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:34 PM   #35
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Generations was...

Johnny wrote: View Post
You haven't produced any facts, just one mans worry and a third hand statement. Nor does it dispel the on screen evidence of resetting for the next episode, before and after.
I could go find you the links to the various articles/interviews, etc., but at this point it would be a waste of my time, as you are clearly being deliberately closed-minded and obstinate. So if you care to find them yourself, you may do so.

As for AGT, I agree it was good, interesting story, but by the end of the episode the only real character development was Picards one-man journey and Rikers and Worfs agreement not to argue over Troi. :s Kinda defeats the whole point of development, and again we're back to nothing being different at the end of an episode.
I wasn't talking about AGT's character development. I was talking about how all seven regulars were used to much better effect than they were in Generations.

Thanks, but it was delibrayte.
I was aware of that. That's why I fixed them. And...I'm also done trying to converse with you. I'm glad you found some redeeming quality to Generations, but it's a lousy film nonetheless.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Dukhat; May 21 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:44 PM   #36
Johnny
Commander
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Birmingham, UK.
Re: Generations was...

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Johnny wrote: View Post
...one of the best scored Star Trek films in it's history, musically it has produced some of the most memorable motifs.
To be honest, it rather amazes me to read that because I thought Generations had one of the most forgettable movie scores I've ever heard. I have trouble remembering any of the melody even while I'm watching the film. It really strikes me as a continuation of the musical wallpaper that we heard for years on the TV show. I say that despite the fact that I enjoy that film quite a bit.

But hey, different melodies obviously work for different people. If that score grabs you, that's cool.
Might be unpopular but I can't get away from it! Music not your thing or do you have a preference as to a film/series score?
__________________
www.digitalfilmworks.co.uk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 03:00 AM   #37
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant
 
Lee Enfield's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Generations was...

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Johnny wrote: View Post
...one of the best scored Star Trek films in it's history, musically it has produced some of the most memorable motifs.
To be honest, it rather amazes me to read that because I thought Generations had one of the most forgettable movie scores I've ever heard. I have trouble remembering any of the melody even while I'm watching the film. It really strikes me as a continuation of the musical wallpaper that we heard for years on the TV show. I say that despite the fact that I enjoy that film quite a bit.

But hey, different melodies obviously work for different people. If that score grabs you, that's cool.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxRZcTugWgU

...when Picard talks about enjoying every moment, because it will not come back .... that doesn't get to you?
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 06:26 AM   #38
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore
 
Argus Skyhawk's Avatar
 
Location: Argus Skyhawk
Re: Generations was...

Johnny wrote: View Post
Music not your thing or do you have a preference as to a film/series score?
I enjoy the music from most of the Trek movies, especially the darker, more dramatic stuff like the Klingon theme from Trek3, 5, and FC, the Borg theme from FC, and the opening shot of Nemesis as the camera is zooming in on Romulus. The theme music to the TMP is rather thrilling (of course that theme showed up again as the theme of TNG, but I liked the TMP arrangement a little more). Trek 4, FC, and Insurrection all had beautiful opening credits themes.

As for non-Trek scores, I of course love John Williams' music for the Star Wars movies, and I have a special fondness for a track from the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack titled "Hyperspace" if I remember correctly. I haven't seen the movie Last of the Mohicans, but what I've heard of the soundtrack is gorgeous. Bicentennial Man has a wonderful soundtrack, and I love that the music from the early part of the movie (when he is still mostly a robot) sounds more synthesized and computery while the music from the latter half sound more orchestral and natural. I'm too lazy to mention others.

Lee Enfield wrote: View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxRZcTugWgU

...when Picard talks about enjoying every moment, because it will not come back .... that doesn't get to you?
Sorry. I hear a lot of soft notes there, but nothing that resembles a melody, except for the momentary dramatic part at the very end. But hey, I'm sure that many songs and pieces of music which sound touching or gripping to me are boring to others, so I don't want to diss something that obviously works for you.
__________________
I thought I had found everlasting joy and happiness, but when I clicked the link, it just took me to a Rick Astley video.
Argus Skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 10:00 PM   #39
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant
 
Lee Enfield's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Generations was...

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Johnny wrote: View Post
Music not your thing or do you have a preference as to a film/series score?
I enjoy the music from most of the Trek movies, especially the darker, more dramatic stuff like the Klingon theme from Trek3, 5, and FC, the Borg theme from FC, and the opening shot of Nemesis as the camera is zooming in on Romulus. The theme music to the TMP is rather thrilling (of course that theme showed up again as the theme of TNG, but I liked the TMP arrangement a little more). Trek 4, FC, and Insurrection all had beautiful opening credits themes.

As for non-Trek scores, I of course love John Williams' music for the Star Wars movies, and I have a special fondness for a track from the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack titled "Hyperspace" if I remember correctly. I haven't seen the movie Last of the Mohicans, but what I've heard of the soundtrack is gorgeous. Bicentennial Man has a wonderful soundtrack, and I love that the music from the early part of the movie (when he is still mostly a robot) sounds more synthesized and computery while the music from the latter half sound more orchestral and natural. I'm too lazy to mention others.

Lee Enfield wrote: View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxRZcTugWgU

...when Picard talks about enjoying every moment, because it will not come back .... that doesn't get to you?
Sorry. I hear a lot of soft notes there, but nothing that resembles a melody, except for the momentary dramatic part at the very end. But hey, I'm sure that many songs and pieces of music which sound touching or gripping to me are boring to others, so I don't want to diss something that obviously works for you.

Sure, sure... I just don't think that a dominant theme all the time is actually that gainful. STG has themes, but they are brought in with much sensitivity - they get bridged and abridged, interupted and interwoven with finer notes or voices. It's definately there. It's the same with scores like Lolita('98) or Fairy Tale: A True Story. Awsome sensible scores.
And take, for example the Nolan Batman films. The themes are extremely toned down. Melodies aren't actually present. But it was very effective.

I don't want to be rude. So, please correct me if I'm wrong. But you sound like there should be a party going on in the music, all the time.
Epic stuff is epic, but sometimes it got to be the quieter notes...

....and sometimes it just got to be epic and still be moody.
Transformers - Arrival to Earth(Steve Jablosnky)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0JDomv8ac
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 02:53 PM   #40
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore
 
Argus Skyhawk's Avatar
 
Location: Argus Skyhawk
Re: Generations was...

Lee Enfield wrote: View Post
I don't want to be rude. So, please correct me if I'm wrong. But you sound like there should be a party going on in the music, all the time.
Epic stuff is epic, but sometimes it got to be the quieter notes...
Oh I'm fine with softer, subtler scores when they are appropriate, but when someone asks me which scores I like, the first ones that will pop into my mind are the dramatic ones in which there is definitely a party going on in the music. However, the score to Generations doesn't strike me as just subtle. It strikes me as flat and emotionless. But of course, that's just me.
__________________
I thought I had found everlasting joy and happiness, but when I clicked the link, it just took me to a Rick Astley video.
Argus Skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 03:37 PM   #41
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Generations was...

Poor OP!

I enjoyed Generations, and I always praise the score any chance I get.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 05:38 PM   #42
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant
 
Lee Enfield's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Generations was...

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Oh I'm fine with softer, subtler scores when they are appropriate, but when someone asks me which scores I like, the first ones that will pop into my mind are the dramatic ones in which there is definitely a party going on in the music. However, the score to Generations doesn't strike me as just subtle. It strikes me as flat and emotionless. But of course, that's just me.

Understood!

Would really like to know what you think about scores like that from Apollo 13. Btw by James Horner, who did the music for the third Trek movie. Lot of melody, epic themes and some variyng arrangments with a lot of "exploration"-feel ... then dreamy-nostalgic notes and choires, in the soft parts...
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 01:55 AM   #43
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore
 
Argus Skyhawk's Avatar
 
Location: Argus Skyhawk
Re: Generations was...

I'm afraid it has been too long since I saw Apollo 13. I don't remember what the score sounded like.
__________________
I thought I had found everlasting joy and happiness, but when I clicked the link, it just took me to a Rick Astley video.
Argus Skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 09:58 PM   #44
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant
 
Lee Enfield's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Generations was...

Apollo 13 - Re-Entry& Splashdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NZR3...D02p6i5vgDJFb4

give the End Titles a try, as well! Subwoofer recommended.

definitively some cues (in the quiter parts) recognizable he later used on Titanic.
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 05:41 AM   #45
Lord Garth, FOI
Lieutenant Commander
 
Lord Garth, FOI's Avatar
 
Re: Generations was...

Was,... Garbage
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
generations, star trek generations

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.