Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 8 2013, 01:21 AM   #166
throwback
Captain

Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Christopher,

What is the source for your information?

The first instance where the term rocket was used, in reference to the impulse engines, was in "The Cage".

The first instance where fusion is associated with the impulse engines is "The Doomsday Machine".

The SS Mariposa had pulse fusion warp engines.

Fusion reactors are used for powering main power in spacecraft. When DS9's fusion reactor was hit in "The Visionary", the station lost main power.

So, both the warp and impulse engines power main power, and when both were damaged on the Enterprise, the ship lost main power. Auxiliary power was damaged by other means. The question for me is this, why didn't they attempt to restore impulse power first, then warp power? Is restoring impulse power more difficult than warp power?
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 02:05 AM   #167
cbspock
Rear Admiral

In Doomsday Machine they also mentioned fuel being exhausted for the Impulse Engines when they had to power the ship in a combat situation for length of time.

Maybe bringing up the warp core was the easier fix, also maybe they figured they may still need weapons and shields if the Vengeance came back online.

-Chris
Old June 8 2013, 02:24 AM   #168
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
I assumed that without the ship's warp field, the thrusters would be insufficient to slow or correct the Enterprise's descent. Once the warp reactor is fixed, we see the warp engines begin to turn as power is restored, generating the mass reduction field necessary to make the thrusters worthwhile.
Does the warp field really do that ? I was under the impression that warp drive simply moves space around the ship, rendering the need for thrust moot.
By TNG: Deja Q, and what they did to move the asteroid moon, warp fields reduce inertial mass.
They did the same thing in DS9 "Emissary" using the station's deflector shields. Reducing the mass of the station allowed them to move it to the Denorious belt in only two days using the station's attitude control thrusters.
Old June 8 2013, 03:08 AM   #169
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
No -- just because warp engines can be used as mass-reduction fields, that doesn't mean they automatically reduce mass.
I didn't say it did.

Which are an example of propulsion via Newton's third law, i.e. reaction thrust.
Yes. I was just adding information.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 03:11 AM   #170
Christopher
Writer

throwback wrote: View Post
Christopher,

What is the source for your information?
Which information? I already said I couldn't track down my source for the last thing. The others are just basic physics.

The first instance where fusion is associated with the impulse engines is "The Doomsday Machine".
Although the second pilot's reference to the impulse points decaying to lead implies that they were meant to be made of uranium, i.e. that the impulse engines were assumed to be fission-powered.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 03:13 AM   #171
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I was going to mention Gary Mitchell's remarks about the impulse deck power packs "decaying to lead" but didn't. That's just another piece of info from TOS that indicates the Enterprise's impulse engines are based on nuclear reactions. Thanks for mentioning that line of dialogue.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote