RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 525
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 14 2014, 11:47 PM   #1
Tulin
Vice Admiral

When Will We Get a Date?

Hollywood seems obsessed with locking films in to some future date and "securing" that date in the way a military commander likes to claim a hill as personal territory. It's a dick waving exercise and we see studios claiming ridiculous assertions such as "Spiderman 6" will be premiering 6th of May 2022 or somesuch rubbish.

So when will we get a premiere date for the next ST film? Now with Abrams no longer directing, we can HOPE it won't be four years, so when will we even get a ball park date?
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 12:02 AM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: When Will We Get a Date?

Paramount want 2016, to coincide with Trek's 50th anniversary.
Old February 15 2014, 12:10 AM   #3
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Most big summer releases go into production early the preceding year, so if it's a summer 2016 release they'd likely be in production by the first quarter of 2015. If that's the track they intend there should be a director announced some time in the next few months, probably within four or five months at the most. I would expect a release date to be announced concurrently with the director announcement if a date hasn't been announced before that.
Old February 15 2014, 05:46 AM   #4
captainkirk
Commander

I'm going to guess that a director won't sign on until the first draft of the script is done. Bob Orci made a comment on Trekmovie at the beginning of the year saying that they'd now started full time work on the movie which I'm assuming is the actual script. The question then is how long will it take to write?
Old February 15 2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

When Will We Get a Date?

I'm not sure how announcing a tenuous release date well in advance is "dick-waving," but it seems odd that after saying that the OP is asking for dicks to wave and for Bad Robot to announce a release date way too early.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 06:12 AM   #6
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Tulin wrote: View Post
So when will we get a premiere date for the next ST film?
24 April 2016.
Old February 15 2014, 06:53 AM   #7
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

We'll get there when we get there. I know everyone wants them to do it for the 50th, but I just don't see the big deal. I wouldn't mind waiting for 2017.

Also, do dick waving exercises help at all?
Old February 15 2014, 01:05 PM   #8
JohnChod
Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
We'll get there when we get there. I know everyone wants them to do it for the 50th, but I just don't see the big deal. I wouldn't mind waiting for 2017.
Sorry, but I've got to disagree. Perhaps because I was actually a witness to the 1966 premiere, I definitely feel that a film coinciding with the 50th anniversary would be a 'big deal.'

Just as TUC was released as a 25th anniversary event, the 13th movie should be a 50th anniversary event.

Unlike TUC, the movie should incorporate an anniversary logo. I would love to see a nicely designed '50 years' splash screen at the start.
JohnChod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
When Will We Get a Date?
I'm not sure how announcing a tenuous release date well in advance is "dick-waving,"
Because, as I said above, studios like to "stake out" a release date and pin it down as belonging to them.

It's a "dick waving" exercise in that they are saying, "This is OUR date and opening weekend and we DARE other studios to release their fare on the same day".

I exaggerated with the Spiderman thing but Sony DID announce dates well into the latter half of the decade indicating supreme confidence in their Spiderman franchise. Maybe it's an Aussie term that is not known elsewhere but it means displaying utmost confidence in yourself and abilities in a crass and perhaps undeserved manner.

Dick waving.

Old February 15 2014, 04:26 PM   #10
Tulin
Vice Admiral

JohnChod wrote: View Post
Sorry, but I've got to disagree. Perhaps because I was actually a witness to the 1966 premiere, I definitely feel that a film coinciding with the 50th anniversary would be a 'big deal.'

Just as TUC was released as a 25th anniversary event, the 13th movie should be a 50th anniversary event.

Unlike TUC, the movie should incorporate an anniversary logo. I would love to see a nicely designed '50 years' splash screen at the start.
Good point - also I remember interviews with Majel saying that ST IV was a present from them to us - a Christmas present(which I ALWAYS think of when I hear the little bells in the main title theme)AND a twentieth anniversary present!

God, to go back to those days!

It AMAZES me that there are probably people posting here who were NOT EVEN BORN when TVH premiered at cinemas! That just FLOORS me!
Old February 15 2014, 04:35 PM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Also, do dick waving exercises help at all?
The 50th anniversary hype helped both the Bond film Skyfall and the Doctor Who special.
Old February 15 2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Khan 2.0
Commander

the 50th release date is a must esp for the BO...there was an increase of almost 100m in box office from ST09 & STID with over 100m more from foreign which has always been a problem for trek films..so for the 50th anniversary it should do even more ( bond went from 600m to 1b)..a real event picture that will propel Trek into the big blockbuster league (SW,LOTR, Bond, batman, potter, TF etc) Im talking about 700m ww (300m domestic/400 overseas)

to do that theyd need a really great movie of course & something that encapsulates the whole of Trek for the 50th (like TUC, no Generations style misstep)

i dunno..maybe sumthing like this
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...68#post9238768

Last edited by Khan 2.0; February 15 2014 at 06:53 PM.
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 05:14 PM   #13
Green Shirt
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
When Will We Get a Date?

I'm not sure how announcing a tenuous release date well in advance is "dick-waving," but it seems odd that after saying that the OP is asking for dicks to wave and for Bad Robot to announce a release date way too early.
Wow. If this guy gets a date, there's hope for the rest of the parent's basement dwellers.

Apologies Locutus, if that's a photo of you.
Old February 15 2014, 05:35 PM   #14
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I was wondering who that was too!

At the risk of insulting the OP of that picture, he looks like your stereotypical nerd!
Old February 15 2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

It's Dwight from The Office.