RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,715
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 721
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 22 2013, 11:32 PM   #136
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: Klingons in STID--why do they look like [SPOILERS]?

They certainly -look- Klingon enough, but they all got gunned down rather easily so it's not like it matters much.
Old May 22 2013, 11:42 PM   #137
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post

That way J.J. honors continuity but doesn't step in a huge nerd minefield by changing some detail about Khan's age, the wars or his ship. Nobody can lambaste him for screwing up the canon and he can avoid going into messy detail that wasn't that necessary to the plot anyways. It's a win-win.
Plus, it's probably the best way to finesse the whole awkward "Eugenics Wars of the 1990s" thing, which worked in 1967, but which would just have moviegoers scratching their heads today. Best to keep it vague, especially if there's no real need to get bogged down in the continuity of the old series . . . .

Easter eggs are fun. Footnotes just slow down the plot.
Old May 23 2013, 12:33 AM   #138
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

You may already have answered this in another thread, but did anyone connected to the new film ever contact you or admit to reading your Khan/Eugenics Wars trilogy to do research on the character and period of Earth history he came from? I suppose it's possible that somebody on the crew read your books and didn't contact nor credit you for anything but I was just curious if your Khan novels got any attention from J.J.'s people.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 12:36 AM   #139
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mr. B wrote: View Post
They certainly -look- Klingon enough, but they all got gunned down rather easily so it's not like it matters much.
Then they must be Klingons!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 12:56 AM   #140
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

You may already have answered this in another thread, but did anyone connected to the new film ever contact you or admit to reading your Khan/Eugenics Wars trilogy to do research on the character and period of Earth history he came from? I suppose it's possible that somebody on the crew read your books and didn't contact nor credit you for anything but I was just curious if your Khan novels got any attention from J.J.'s people.
Several months ago, one of the screenwriters mentioned in an interview that he'd read my Khan books, which was cool. Not sure why they'd want to contact or credit me with anything, since I hardly invented Khan. Heck, I was only seven years old when Khan first appeared on STAR TREK!

There's nothing to "admit to" here. We're all playing in the same sandbox.
Old May 23 2013, 01:04 AM   #141
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I guess by "credit" I meant a phone call or message saying "your Trek novels were an immense help in influencing how we might want to portray the character in our upcoming film. Thanks, Mr. Cox, for helping educate us a little bit." That kind of thing. There was obviously nothing on screen that could be credited to your books, though it would have been cool had Khan himself mentioned he'd been the product of a classified genetic engineering project called Chrysalis that was carried out on the Indian subcontinent.

Old May 23 2013, 01:13 AM   #142
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I guess by "credit" I meant a phone call or message saying "your Trek novels were an immense help in influencing how we might want to portray the character in our upcoming film. Thanks, Mr. Cox, for helping educate us a little bit." That kind of thing. There was obviously nothing on screen that could be credited to your books, though it would have been cool had Khan himself mentioned he'd been the product of a classified genetic engineering project called Chrysalis that was carried out on the Indian subcontinent.
I admit I'm hoping the new movie boosts sales of the old books, but, in general, I'm usually a few steps removed from the actual movie and TV productions. I mostly deal with the publisher and the licensing departments, not the actual filmmakers. I don't expect to hear from the movie people directly.

(Although I did once get a nice letter from one of the UNDERWORLD screenwriters telling me how much he liked my novelization of the movie . . . and they even invited me to the premiere party. That was fun.)
Old May 23 2013, 02:24 AM   #143
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Mr. B wrote: View Post
One of them must be Worf's ancestor, I'm guessing. Showed up, looked super badass, got their asses kicked by the bad guy to show how powerful he is.
Old May 23 2013, 12:46 PM   #144
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Several months ago, one of the screenwriters mentioned in an interview that he'd read my Khan books, which was cool. Not sure why they'd want to contact or credit me with anything, since I hardly invented Khan. Heck, I was only seven years old when Khan first appeared on STAR TREK!

There's nothing to "admit to" here. We're all playing in the same sandbox.
In the movie when Spock said that Khan's goals included "the extermination of all those not genetically superior" (or words to that effect) I immediately thought of his plan to exterminate all non-genetically engineered humans with his mother's modified strain of strep-A.

That Into Darkness went to such lengths to remain consistent with the old when it really wasn't necessary that it do so was pretty damn cool.
Old May 23 2013, 09:54 PM   #145
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Re: Klingons in STID--why do they look like a burned Kryten?

DavidLeeRoth wrote: View Post
He looks more like Darth Maul than a Klingon. The head has a cube-like shape, that thing running down the head doesn't resemble a ridge, the whole head looks like it was dunked in BBQ sauce and put on the grill and he doesn't have any hair.
That's right! Klingons have NEVER been bald in Trek before.

Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:59 PM   #146
Irishman
Fleet Captain

In the same ballpark, yes.

I wish that there were some better stills of Klingons from ID online to look at.
Yeah, cause I think you imagine the difference to be more marked than it is.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 10:00 PM   #147
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Irishman wrote: View Post
In the same ballpark, yes.

I wish that there were some better stills of Klingons from ID online to look at.
Yeah, cause I think you imagine the difference to be more marked than it is.
I loved these Klingons, they look menacing.
Old May 23 2013, 10:04 PM   #148
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Irishman wrote: View Post
That's right! Klingons have NEVER been bald in Trek before.

They think that guy doesn't look like a Klingon? Has he not seen the mythical figure Fek'lhr, seen briefly in "Devil's Due(TNG)"? I know he's supposed to be a mythological character in Klingon religious lore and didn't actually exist, but he's supposed to be a Klingon nevertheless.

The STID Klingon might as well be a background warrior from TOS who got little or even no makeup compared to that....thing.

Old May 23 2013, 10:11 PM   #149
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Looks Klingon to me.
Old May 23 2013, 10:54 PM   #150
Mach5
Rear Admiral

The version they went with doesn't suck, but I loved the 2009 design better.

Brow ridge, nose bridge, eyes, the hair, those wrinkles, I liked every bit. Now imagine this guy with forehead ridges. Would've been sweet.