No Quinto In Heroes Reborn
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Pine Responds To Pegg Writer Announcement
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: seaQuest DSV
Awesome! 23 74.19%
Rubbish! 0 0%
Meh... 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23 2015, 10:12 PM   #1
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

DSV SEAQUEST - Ship Of The Week #10 i/23/2015

DEEP SUBMERGENCE VEHICLE SEAQUEST
In a world where the Human Race is returning in numbers to the sea, the ultimate exploration and peacekeeping tool is SeaQuest, DSV.

The brainchild of Nathan Bridger, SeaQuest was built in the wake of the colonization of Earth’s oceans by governments and private interests in search of living space and resources. Originally assigned to a more military mission, SeaQuest was eventually turned over to the United Earth Oceans Organization (UEO), an international ocean management agency. In UEO service and under Bridger’s command, SeaQuest performed peacekeeping and rescue duties across the world’s oceans as well as engaging in and supporting undersea exploration and research.

SeaQuest was over three hundred meters long and had a maximum speed of 160 knots and a crush depth of 9 kilometers. Her complement consisted of 88 military officers and crew and 124 scientific research personnel. She was powered by two fusion reactors and carried a large array of smaller submersible craft for exploration, transport and combat. Her armament was extensive, including nuclear and conventionally tipped missiles and torpedos. Most notable among her equipment were the remote-controlled probes known as “Whiskers.” (WSKRS - Wireless Sea Knowledge Retrieval Satellites.)

seaQuest DSV

Created by Rockne S. O’Bannon and produced by Steven Spielberg, seaQuest DSV was the NBC science fiction series which focused on Humanity’s future at sea. It starred Roy Scheider as Captain Nathan Bridger - and later Michael Ironside as Captain Oliver Hudson - and ran for three seasons. It was sometimes referred to as “Star Trek Underwater,” given her similarities to Star Trek: The Next Generation.

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: DSV SEAQUEST - Ship Of The Week #10 i/23/2015

Don't think the external design changed from S1 to S2 but never liked the S2 bridge.

Not sure it was an attempt to add a bit of reaslism or the producers like the idea but in S1 you had the two planesman/women at the helm with what I assume was a senior NCO who oversaw them and relayed commands - just as aboard a real life sub.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2015, 12:11 AM   #3
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I'll be honest. I never was a regular watcher of the show. It was too "TNG underwater" for my tastes (especially with "Wesley" Brandeis talking with the dolphin) so I don't have a clear memory of the bridge.

-Admiral James Greer

Last edited by Admiral2; January 24 2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old January 24 2015, 12:44 AM   #4
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I love the seaQuest. It was one of the first ships I remember seeing that took inspiration from living things. I also really loved the WSKRS surrounding it, something about that idea really appealed to me.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2015, 03:33 AM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The SeaQuest (both versions) was a fine boat, but I wish they could have kept the first season bridge with the SeaQuest II--I know the change was made when they relocated production of the series to Florida, but that bridge felt cramped and almost claustrophobic compared to the one on the first SeaQuest.
Old January 24 2015, 12:09 PM   #6
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Better than the Seaview perhaps, but I still say Meh!
Old January 24 2015, 05:43 PM   #7
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

I wonder if there could have ever been a spin-off tho this show set in space, called StarQuest IPV? It could star Kent McCord as the captain of the ship, with a mission to explore and protect the solar system...
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2015, 06:51 PM   #8
spinnerlys
Commander

I liked that series very much, but wow, it has been almost two decades since I saw it.
I remember not liking the change from season 2 to 3, though Ironside was not the problem.
The aliens were, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, this thread made me look up, what the cast was up to, and since Jonathan Brandis is listed first, I clicked on him first, only to find out, that he committed suicide more than a decade ago probably due to his declining career. That is shit.

But thanks for the ship of the week. Much better than that babe thing we had for some time.
spinnerlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2015, 07:47 PM   #9
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

I liked the SeaQuest. Albeit, I still like the '60s Seaview with it's Flying Sub better. I would love to see an updated version of the Seaview with Flying sub as the 1701 was updated for TMP.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2015, 10:08 PM   #10
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I always thought of her as Seaview and Nautilus's love child...

spinnerlys wrote: View Post
But thanks for the ship of the week. Much better than that babe thing we had for some time.
I'm glad you like this and hope you continue to like the threads, but I can't honestly agree that they're better than the EvilHatedDisrespectfulBabeThreadsWhichWereBANNED. I'm just trying to fill the void the banning left with less controversial subject matter.

-Admiral James Greer
Old January 24 2015, 11:54 PM   #11
spinnerlys
Commander

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

I'm glad you like this and hope you continue to like the threads, but I can't honestly agree that they're better than the EvilHatedDisrespectfulBabeThreadsWhichWereBANNED. I'm just trying to fill the void the banning left with less controversial subject matter.
I suppose you will run out of ships some day, which would not happen with women of course, but it didn't fit that well here contentwise.
spinnerlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 01:01 AM   #12
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

I suppose you will run out of ships some day, which would not happen with women of course, but it didn't fit that well here contentwise.
Actually, I know exactly when I'll run out of ships, since I'm working off a fixed list, but I have plans for that eventuality that don't involve violating the ban, so it'll still be cool.

-Admiral James Greer
Old January 25 2015, 02:34 AM   #13
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i like the SeaQuest. and the Seaview. i always wanted David Hedison to show up on SeaQuest for a crossover. i know, i know...continuity between the shows would make such a thing difficult.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 08:10 AM   #14
Janeway's Girl
Captain

A bit off topic but isn't Ted Raimi in this? I might have to check it out for that one reason.
Janeway's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2015, 09:36 PM   #15
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Yes, Ted Raimi was a regular.

-Admiral James Greer