TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 22 2013, 03:44 AM   #76
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Re: Into Darkness and the novelverse [SPOILERS]

^^
It is still possible to have transwarp beaming only within Federation space, while leaving the exploration of uncharted or unexplored territories to starships. That would give greater impetus to Star Trek's premise of "...boldly going where no one has gone before."

Mind you, I'm with Christopher when it comes to the feasibility of every day transwarp beaming though.
Old May 24 2013, 03:26 AM   #77
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Transwarp beaming may be interesting and could be developed. I thought there was a ST-TNG novel that discussed an orbital station or some such thing that beamed people interstellar distances but am not knowledgeable about television episodes.

But what about the psychology of the surviving Vulcan? Could Vulcans experience many emotions simultaneously but control them all at once? Could they have multiple attitudes and multiple thoughts working in parallel? Perhaps I have missed the latest novels with more alien diversity. If an alien species controls their emotions, they can still, if necessary, but rarely, express emotions. This does not take away from the emotional control but enhances the rarity of expression.

If emotions are really necessary to proper human neurological functioning, then aliens shall need something similar to label and prioritize signals and traces. A new look at Vulcan functioning can provide a new look at how telergistic phenomena might be constructed in a civilization. Perhaps diversity within alien stereotypes may become possible. Or, is that too much of a brave new world?

Last edited by Endgame; May 24 2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: 'a' to 'an'
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:38 AM   #78
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

Endgame wrote: View Post
But what about the psychology of the surviving Vulcan? Could Vulcans experience many emotions simultaneously but control them all at once? Could they have multiple attitudes and multiple thoughts working in parallel? Perhaps I have missed the latest novels with more alien diversity. If an alien species controls their emotions, they can still, if necessary, but rarely, express emotions. This does not take away from the emotional control but enhances the rarity of expression.
I think that the TV series, never mind the novels, have established pretty conclusively that Vulcans do have emotions but simply manage them very tightly. The TNG episode "Sarek", which featured various Enterprise-D crewpeople including Picard, being affected by Sarek's inadvertant telepathic broadcasts proves the point, as does the relatively open display of emotion by Romulans who split from Vulcan just a couple of millennia ago.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:35 AM   #79
Hando
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Hando Send a message via AIM to Hando Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hando Send a message via Yahoo to Hando

I would like to jump in and point out some things. -> Khan as title
There is already an existing precedent that a name can become a title, both in real life and in Star Trek:

IRL: Octavian and Caesar - I understand that they were not first names, but some sort of nicknames (sorry my Latin is a bit rusty)
ST: Seeds of Dissent and Debtors' Planet - alright nothing canon, but in Seeds of Dissent we have the "Khanate of Earth" ruled by "Khan Imperator" and in Debtors' Planet the "Great Khanate".

Therefore, I do not believe that it is such a scratch that Khan Noonien Singh's first name became a general title, given that it symbolized a ruler.
Hando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:54 AM   #80
Christopher
Writer

^Umm, the point is that "Khan" was originally a title for Mongolian rulers going back nearly 2000 years. When Temujin took the title Genghis Khan and built the largest land-based empire in world history, he and his successors (who also used the title Khan) thus spread that title to other cultures and it came to be used in them as well, which is how Khan came to be a common surname in the Islamic world.

The mistake being made above was the assumption that just because Khan originated as a title, it must have been a title in this case -- that the character was named Noonien Singh and simply used the title Khan. Which, as I pointed out, doesn't track, because then he would've introduced himself by saying "I am the Khan" rather than "I am Khan." He and others have always used it as his name, not his title.

As for Caesar, it was originally the family name of Gaius Julius Caesar -- more specifically, the cognomen of the family Caesar within the clan Julius. As for how it became an imperial title, see here.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 02:02 PM   #81
F. King Daniel
Admiral

"My name is Khan."

It's not a title, it's his name. He says it in "Space Seed" and Star Trek Into Darkness.
Old May 31 2013, 07:30 AM   #82
newtontomato539
Commander

"Jeepers."

Khan is Khan. Carol Marcus has a British accent.

Back to your daily lives.

Oooh waaaiiitt. This is a Star Trek bbs. :Smacks forehead:
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 11:44 PM   #83
Charles Phipps
Commander

I'd like to see Admiral Marcus' history with Section 31 revealed. In the mainstream universe it might be he never actually was discovered for his actions. However, it could explain why Carol and her son are apart from Starfleet if she found out he was involved in SOMETHING shady.
Old June 1 2013, 01:01 AM   #84
Christopher
Writer

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
I'd like to see Admiral Marcus' history with Section 31 revealed. In the mainstream universe it might be he never actually was discovered for his actions.
Or that he never got involved with them at all.

However, it could explain why Carol and her son are apart from Starfleet if she found out he was involved in SOMETHING shady.
That's possible, true. It would explain why David was so suspicious of Starfleet's motives -- although I think the events of Vanguard were meant in part to explain that.

Old June 1 2013, 01:56 AM   #85
Charles Phipps
Commander

True, Admiral Marcus might never have been involved in S13 but I was just going with 'ease of storytelling.' The timeline from the Abrams-verse seems to be manipulated by something (Organians, God, Q, fate, destiny, Time Police) to being similar to the mainstream universe as much as possible.

Just in "broad strokes."

That's just my view on why TOS crew is together, at least. In-universe.
Old June 1 2013, 02:17 AM   #86
Christopher
Writer

Charles Phipps wrote: View Post
The timeline from the Abrams-verse seems to be manipulated by something (Organians, God, Q, fate, destiny, Time Police) to being similar to the mainstream universe as much as possible.
Try telling that to 99% of the Vulcan population. Oh, wait, you can't, they're dead.

While some things are lining up with Prime, others are radically different. Even the stuff that's similar is happening years or decades earlier. The technology has gotten considerably more advanced -- ships are bigger, warp drive is far faster, etc.

As for the factor that's pushing some events to happen similarly, Orci's explanation is that it's quantum probability -- the majority of timelines tend toward the most probable events. To put it another way, there are many causative factors shaping events, and even if you change one factor, the others will still be in play and thus events may still turn out much the same, even if the details differ.

Although I don't think that can explain events happening years too early. The best hypothesis I've heard is that it's some effect of the Red Matter event that caused the timeline to branch off. Maybe it's created some kind of probabilistic bleedthrough from the Prime timeline that not only promotes similar events but accelerates them.

Old June 1 2013, 02:21 AM   #87
Charles Phipps
Commander

Good explanation.

I know it'll never happen but landing in the Abramsverse would be hilarious for the DTI.

"This is all wrong!"

Old June 1 2013, 04:39 AM   #88
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Perfect way to complete the trilogy, Christpher!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:14 AM   #89
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
The best hypothesis I've heard is that it's some effect of the Red Matter event that caused the timeline to branch off. Maybe it's created some kind of probabilistic bleedthrough from the Prime timeline that not only promotes similar events but accelerates them.
I see that others have already suggested that "This is a case for... DTI."
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 05:20 AM   #90
Charles Phipps
Commander

It's why I can't wait for all the novel characters to react to the Hobus event.