Star Trek Into Darkness - SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Captain59, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    I don't want to screw up like I did in the other thread, and I want to talk with fellow ENT fans who have seen the movie. Anything I write in the main movie thread gets lost instantly, and nobody seems to care about ENT over there anyway. So...SPOILERS ahead:

I thought it was really cool seeing a model of the NX-01 in the movie. (As I love to mention from time to time, ENT is the only series completely intact in both universes!) I would have never known to look for this or the NX Alpha if it wasn't mentioned. (Thank you!) But am I correct that this was the only ENT reference, and a non-verbal one at that? I know Section 31 was mentioned, but wasn't that first mentioned in DS9? I was hoping for something else. With so many names thrown around, they could have mentioned something like the Mayweather Manerver or "that virus Dr. Phlox first discovered." But, anything is good. I keep looking for a Denoblian in the background. I'm hoping one of these days that will happen.

So was there anything else I missed?

2. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I didn't notice any other references to it. I'm fine that there wasn't more of a reference to it. "Admiral Archer's Prized Beagle" was very well done in the first movie. They don't need to keep referencing other Trek to do the movies in my opinion.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The NX Alpha and 01 are the only ones this time, the Beagel last time. But the models are identical to the design of the ones shown in the series so they "happened" more or less as we see on screen, minus a lot of the TCW stuff.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't even see it when I watched it. I'll have to look for that next time I see it. I heard it was the Phoenix and not the NX-Alpha though. Though the Phoenix and NX-Alpha are similar enough looking ships and a logical progression in starship evolution.

Though looking for the small details is all part of repeat viewings :)

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Both are there. It goes Ringship > Phoenix > NX Alpha > NX-01 > Kelvin

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

This is one,of the reasons I read spoilers. If I had not known about this before yesterday I might not have noticed right away. I would have see it just before it cuts away. This way I made sure to look at the models.

7. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I was very happy when I saw the ship models. As far as references go, ENT got honourably mentioned in both JJ-verse films, which is more than I expected, but done in much better taste than many of us were complaining about before STXI was released.

8. Bukiyo

Bukiyo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Admiral Marcus was Terra Prime leader on ENT. Not really a reference, but still cool. He was a good villain in both.

9. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    True! I thought he looked familiar...

10. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, between the quick cutaways + dark cinematography + 3D effects, I couldn't focus on anything. I figured that the NX01 would be there, but I'll have to wait for the DVD to see it.

Loved the movie. Hated the direction/cinematography.

I joked to my husband that Peter Weller's streak of playing "really intelligent, completely conscience-less villain who is willing to destroy lots of stuff and people to get his point across and also provoke war and strife" continues unabated.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The NX-01 model is on a perfectly white desk in a fully sunlight room with the camera slowly and carefully panning by, so I'm not sure what this is a reference too.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I tried to get a good look at the models but the 3D went blurry for me as the camera panned across them. That happened several times to me. 3D doesn't quite work for my eyes. Guess I'll have to see it again.

14. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a reference to the fact that the movie seemed very dark, it's hard for me to focus on 3D effects, and in that particular scene I was struggling to study and name each ship. I will have to pause it when I get the movie on DVD to get a good look.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I saw it in 3D in a pretty dark theatre, never had a single problem with the film being "too dark", everything was crystal clear and well enough lit. Weird.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

How's this for hardcore - according to TVtropes, the offshore stadium from "Home" is seen briefly in an aerial shot of San Francisco.

17. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I'll have to try to look for that when I see it again this weekend.

18. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

19. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    I'll have to check that out, thanks! :techman:

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps it's just me but I felt that John Harrison reminded me more of Malik from the Augment trilogy than Khan. His motivation-in terms of exterminating "lesser" species-fit Malik more than Khan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.