RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,723
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 773
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 15 2013, 11:16 PM   #1
gturner
Admiral

Another "Fringe" incident in Boston.

CBS Boston story

BELCHERTOWN (CBS) – Shortly after midnight Tuesday, seven people were caught trespassing at the Quabbin Reservoir.

State Police say the five men and two women are from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Singapore, and “cited their education and career interests” for being in the area. The men told police they were chemical engineers and recent college graduates.

<snip>

All seven were allowed to leave and will be summonsed to court for trespassing. The FBI is investigating and routine checks of public water supplies have been increased following the incident.

The seven individuals currently live in Amherst, Cambridge, Sunderland, Northampton and New York City. Police have not released their names because a court date has not been set.
Suspicious, or just seven foreign chemical engineers from five different US cities coming together at Boston's main drinking water reservoir after midnight for, um, something innocent?

Where is Walter Bishop when we need him to figure this out?
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: Another "Fringe" incident in Boston.

he's fictional and thus would be no help.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

Somebody's a fan of Batman.

Smilex, anyone?
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Gary7
Rear Admiral

"Career interests" for trespassing on property surrounding an enormous public water facility. Yeah, RIGHT. If it was legit, they would have contacted the facility administration and asked for a tour. But no, sneak around there at night? Smells really bad. I'd say, strip them of their visas and kick them out of the country. This kind of thing can't be tolerated.
Old May 16 2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Good to know that 9/11 and Boston still has most of this country afraid of its own shadow.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:01 AM   #6
gturner
Admiral

^ well, one thing that struck me is that while civil engineers might have a professional interest in a glorified lake, chemical engineers wouldn't give a flying f***. Even if a water company employed them all (to find a cheaper way to add chlorine or remove arsenic?), they'd never actually wander out to look at a clay-fill embankment unless their cat died and they wanted to find some peace of mind by gazing across a pond. If you wanted to figure out where to back a truck up to dump something in, though, a site inspection would make sense.

"We were out barhopping and got lost" would make sense, as would "We don't have frog gigging in our countries, for obvious reasons, and thought we'd see what it was about." The story they gave doesn't make sense to me.

However, the FBI is on the case, so I'm sure after everyone in Boston is puking their guts up there will be a full investigation on why there was no investigation.
Old May 16 2013, 04:11 AM   #7
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Quabbin is 80 miles west of Boston.

College students do stupid things... shocking. I live 10 miles from there. It was closed for years after 9-11, you still can't go on the dams. But you would need several 18 wheelers before you could poison the 4.5 billion gallons of water it holds.

There are 3 more reservoirs that connect to Quabbin on the way to Boston that would be closer to the source if you want to poison Boston.

Being that you live in Kentucky and not within a thousand miles of the area, you really should use Google before starting crazy ass conspiracy theories.

Amherst, Sunderland, Northampton are towns, there are more people in my local jail than Sunderland (Pop. 3,684). They are college students, Northampton, Amherst and Hadley have five colleges that tens of thousands of students go to, it's called "The Five Colleges", so people would live in those towns that go to one of the five colleges. Amherst has the flag ship college for the state, 29 thousand students go there, 22,000 live in the town! it's not like students from LA, Seattle, Chicago, DC and Boston all showed up in the middle of the night. THEY ARE COLLEGE STUDENTS.

That said kick them out of the country for being stupid.

Last edited by bigdaddy; May 16 2013 at 04:23 AM.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:14 AM   #8
gturner
Admiral

Hrm... I did some math using abrin as a likely agent, and 1 kg would probably do it. It was so disturbing that I deleted the rest of the post, including reasons why a reservoir is a dumb place to dump it. O_o
Old May 16 2013, 05:24 AM   #9
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yes you could use bioterrorism and Quabbin would be the dumbest place ever to do it, being it has to move 80 miles to get to Boston. These are college students, from what you call cities that they live in. They tested, everything is good. This whole thread is stupid being that the government poisens our water with shit more than 7 college students would.
Old May 16 2013, 05:37 AM   #10
gturner
Admiral

I take it you read about the estimated ten thousand or so Americans the government intentionally but randomly killed by poisoning during Prohibition to prove that alcohol was extremely dangerous.
Old May 16 2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Finn
Vice Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
"Career interests" for trespassing on property surrounding an enormous public water facility. Yeah, RIGHT. If it was legit, they would have contacted the facility administration and asked for a tour. But no, sneak around there at night? Smells really bad. I'd say, strip them of their visas and kick them out of the country. This kind of thing can't be tolerated.
College students contacting a facility administration of a water reservoir for a tour?

I would have just found a place to park and walked in the woods
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Really, they should be kicked out of the country for trespassing? How about we let the authorities do their jobs and figure out if they were up to something worse?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:48 PM   #13
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Yes you could use bioterrorism and Quabbin would be the dumbest place ever to do it, being it has to move 80 miles to get to Boston. These are college students, from what you call cities that they live in. They tested, everything is good. This whole thread is stupid being that the government poisens our water with shit more than 7 college students would.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:28 PM   #14
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I've been to Quabbin about 500 times in my life, they were are the middle gate. That gate is closest to the overflow keyhole. The first gate has a police station and the third main one has nothing really.

All three main gates are within five miles. There are about 70 other gates around the massive manmade pond. Why go to a main gate to poison Boston?

Also the college students in the area are assholes, and this group clearly is lying "it's a school trip at midnight! And no teacher!". Make an example and kick them out.

But there is Smith, Mt Holyoke, Amherst, Hampshire and Umass Amherst. Some of those are known international, more so Smith. So it's not unheard off to have 7 college students being stupid. They are stupid, those colleges make them stupid drones.

And the middle gate they were at is about two miles from the runoff river which is open 24/7 for fishing. You could pretend to fish and just walk a little more and be at the damn.

If anyone is ever in the area go visit. Beautiful area.
Old May 16 2013, 04:12 PM   #15
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh I agree with your assessment that this conspiracy theory is stupid. I just found it hilarious that you offered your own conspiracy theory in response.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote