Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 18 2013, 12:59 AM   #1
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fighting

Hey all! We've just published a two-part on-camera interview with writing/producing duo Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore.

There's some TNG gold in there which I know people will enjoy hearing. Some of the points covered:

* Ira's panicked first assignment on the job where he's told to write a treatment for Season 3's "The Hunted" but struggles to understand what a Jefferies Tube is!
* Ron rushing out scripts as fast he can to get his first episode nailed, until he's told by Michael Piller "You don't have to do it THIS fast!"
* Ira's battle with "Captain's Holiday". His original script was rejected by Gene, who went CRAZY demanding instead to "Get the captain laid!" "Patrick wants to get laid; he doesn't do enough f---ing and fighting, you gotta get him laid!"

There's lots of other great nuggets in the interview, so check it out - it's available to watch as a video or you can read the transcript:

Part 1 - http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/exc...erview-part-i/
Part 2 - http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/exc...rview-part-ii/
Old May 18 2013, 01:58 AM   #2
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight

I'm surprised to hear them call season 3 this terrible, chaotic season when I consider it one of the best in ST history.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 04:56 AM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

All the attempts to turn Picard into an action hero/sex icon were lame because they don't play to the character's strengths. The man in an inspiriting orator and philosophical intellectual. Not an action hero. Even "Die Hard in Space" was more like Home Alone than a badass taking down his enemies.
Old May 18 2013, 09:01 PM   #4
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I'm surprised to hear them call season 3 this terrible, chaotic season when I consider it one of the best in ST history.
You didn't work on the season; they did. It was terrible and chaotic for them.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Salinga
Captain

A good season probably needs a little chaos in the background, because it makes the production department not think too much about stories and consequences - they just do them, so they have something on the screen. And thus they are willing to risk more, because they dont overthink much.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Dream
Admiral

I happen to like the fact that Picard was more interested in reading a good book while on Risa. It was funny.
Old May 19 2013, 10:32 PM   #7
Ain Jalut
Lieutenant

R. Star wrote: View Post
All the attempts to turn Picard into an action hero/sex icon were lame because they don't play to the character's strengths. The man in an inspiriting orator and philosophical intellectual. Not an action hero. Even "Die Hard in Space" was more like Home Alone than a badass taking down his enemies.
His other romance was well done. Not the one with Vash or Beverly. The one with one of his subordinates.
Ain Jalut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:44 AM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Picard isn't Kirk.
Old May 21 2013, 01:50 AM   #9
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think Vash is the perfect occasional one night stand for Picard.

I agree Daren was done believably, but the episode itself was kind of boring.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:55 AM   #10
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Picard isn't Kirk.
Thank You.

I'm getting tired of everyone seemingly imitating Kirk. Hell, I might start getting tired of Kirk himself. If there was one thing I loved in Season 3 it was that Picard was the ultimate diplomat. He averted war with the Romulans twice, he pretty much told the Shiliak, via the treaty they signed, to go F off, and he had the strength to fight the Borg while assimilated. There are more things he's done, but truth be told, Picard was a badass who didn't need to resort to ass-kicking. I liked Kirk and Sisko a lot, but Picard was a great leader who I would gladly serve under. Of course in war, Kirk and Sisko offered protection and safety, but I would hope in the 24th century there would be more peace than war.
Old May 21 2013, 01:56 AM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ain Jalut wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
His other romance was well done. Not the one with Vash or Beverly. The one with one of his subordinates.
You mean Neela Daren? That was a natural relationship that was sparked over their interests in science and music, even though it was obvious she was a romance of the week. Picard just doesn't make a convincing Alpha male, it's not his style and when they tried to write him that way it really was unnatural.
Old May 21 2013, 02:05 AM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Picard isn't Kirk.
Thank You.

I'm getting tired of everyone seemingly imitating Kirk. Hell, I might start getting tired of Kirk himself. If there was one thing I loved in Season 3 it was that Picard was the ultimate diplomat. He averted war with the Romulans twice, he pretty much told the Shiliak, via the treaty they signed, to go F off, and he had the strength to fight the Borg while assimilated. There are more things he's done, but truth be told, Picard was a badass who didn't need to resort to ass-kicking. I liked Kirk and Sisko a lot, but Picard was a great leader who I would gladly serve under. Of course in war, Kirk and Sisko offered protection and safety, but I would hope in the 24th century there would be more peace than war.
I love the Jim Kirk character, my favorite in all of Trek. But I love Picard because he is his own man, not a cheap imitation.
Old May 21 2013, 02:36 AM   #13
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Get your facts straight. Roddenberry didn't say Picard doesn't get laid enough, Patrick Stewart did. If he wanted Picard to be sleeping with a woman in every port he would've designed him that way from the beginning...but he didn't.

Moore is an idiot.
Old May 21 2013, 04:15 AM   #14
Lance
Fleet Captain

I get the impression Picard is a "former Kirk". The character backstory does say he had an affair with his best friend's wife, so it isn't like he's Mister Squeaky Clean. It's more that by the time we meet him he's something a dark horse. Outwardly enlightened about the mistakes of his youth, but still harboring some of those impulses somewhere deep inside him.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 04:51 AM   #15
Dream
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I get the impression Picard is a "former Kirk". The character backstory does say he had an affair with his best friend's wife, so it isn't like he's Mister Squeaky Clean. It's more that by the time we meet him he's something a dark horse. Outwardly enlightened about the mistakes of his youth, but still harboring some of those impulses somewhere deep inside him.
There was no affair. The last time I checked, Picard and Beverly were only friends.

Picard lost the "former Kirk" in him the moment he got stabbed in heart by a couple of Nausicaans.