Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 17 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Green Lantern
Captain

The Stephen Moffat Thread

Basically, a thread about Stephen Moffat.

Moffat Might Finally Get Sacked!

This is great news to me. I agree with many of the views here.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:32 PM   #2
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Stephen Moffat Thread

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Basically, a thread about Stephen Moffat.

Moffat Might Finally Get Sacked!

This is great news to me. I agree with many of the views here.
erm, it's not really though is it...
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Green Lantern
Captain

I think it is good news. I've never been able to get excited about doctor who like I did when RTD was in.

I just hope this is true, although there were reports of him already haven written series 8. I'd just like to see some time with Smith without Moffat. Give Smith some good adventures.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:58 PM   #4
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I don't know who Stephen Moffat is, or why he deserves a thread. Maybe he's getting sacked from whatever job he has. Steven Moffat, on the other hand, isn't going anywhere.

I'm sure the BBC would like the ratings to be higher, and there's certainly a noticeable decline in the overnight figures, but the idea that this constitutes an overall plummet which would have the network in panic is tabloid hogwash. Someone at the Daily Mail picked up the "Whistleblower Five" nonsense or similar and spun it into an article. "Only" 4.6 million viewers. Please. I'm so bored by Moffat's version of Doctor Who that I haven't watched a new episode since August 2011, but I'm not going to pretend that means the show is in crisis.
Old May 18 2013, 12:03 AM   #5
MickJo1701
Commander

4.5m is the bare bones overnight figure as opposed to the final numbers. 10+ plus viewers regularly in the RTD era pftttt.... a whole 7 episodes surpassed the 10 million barrier between 2005-2010 those being specials and series finales.

Jesus Christ! wasn't Doctor Who so much better when the Doctor traveled with a girl from a council estate, the Master watched the Teletubbies and the Daleks span round in circles...
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:09 AM   #6
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

I have my issues with him but I don't understand the hate he gets. RTD's era was guilty of being more childish and "meta-fanwanking" than Moffat's in my opinion. The clear break between seasons 4 and 5, showing a slicker production style and more ambitious storytelling reinvigorated my love for the series. At times, RTD made the show almost too campy.

Now that said, I think Moffat has a huge opinion of himself. He's not nearly as clever as he thinks he is, and some of his plotting in season 6 made me roll my eyes. Oh, and then there's River Song. Please for the love of God can we be rid of River Song?

But overall I think Moffat has done a good job.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:12 AM   #7
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Jesus Christ! wasn't Doctor Who so much better when the Doctor traveled with a girl from a council estate, the Master watched the Teletubbies and the Daleks span round in circles...
Exactly. Recently I went back and watched mostly the entire series with a friend who was just getting into DW, and many of the episodes I hadn't seen since they were first run, and I said to myself "Was it really this campy and silly before or was I just more forgiving?"

I still don't mind the camp. It's just that going back and watching the RTD era makes it seem more Saturday Morning Children's show than I remembered.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:23 AM   #8
MickJo1701
Commander

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Exactly. Recently I went back and watched mostly the entire series with a friend who was just getting into DW, and many of the episodes I hadn't seen since they were first run, and I said to myself "Was it really this campy and silly before or was I just more forgiving?"

I still don't mind the camp. It's just that going back and watching the RTD era makes it seem more Saturday Morning Children's show than I remembered.
Its come to a point where Series 1-4 have very little rewatch value to me because I'm constantly rolling my eyes. There's a few belters in there i.e. Dalek, the Paul Cornell 2 parter, Waters of Mars but for the most part I'll watch a few mins of a repeat then turn over out of frustration with the dialogue.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

I have issues with Doctor Who for the first time with series 7 part 2 being wildy inconsistent BUT that article the OP posted is a lot of bull. Hell even with my issues the AI score for this season is still in the 80's, which beats virtually all other UK TV shows.

I don't understand the stories much
I hate this arguement, am sick of dumb down TV and I don't want Who to become that. Season 6 for me with the long drawn out Silence arc that started with the brilliant "Day of the Moon 2 parter" was Who at its best IMO.

As for the ratings, they are NOT as low as 4.5 million because people are reporting the fricking overnights, once final numbers are accounted for its around 6 million. Now that is lower compared to the past but the audience share is still around 30% so 1 in 3 people watching TV at that moment is tuned into Doctor Who + it scores high on I Player and worldwide "Doctor Who" has never been bigger. Any audience erosion is mainly down to the show being on for 8 years now, this is not the 60's or 70's anymore people do more than just watch TV. Also the BBC has yanked the show around much more than in RTD's era with earlier starts but also this annoying season split, the BBC needs to stop screwing around with Who to try n support its other failing shows.

At the end of the day Moffat should probably leave after Smith does (likely to be in 2014) just because a change every few years is not a bad thing + new Doctor but lets get our facts straight ey. RANT over
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:21 AM   #10
diankra
Commodore

On the key issue... I don't see how ratings for the anniversary special can have any effect on Steve Moffat's future unless the series is going to be off air until 2015.
Think about it: to have anything on air in 2014, they have to start shooting in early 2014 or late 2013. To sack Moffat after getting the ratings for the special you have to start recruiting his successor in December, then wait while he/she works out what they want to do, writes some scripts, commissions other people to write the other scripts... there's no way anything will be shot before July 2014... by which time you've probably reached the end of Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman's contracts and have to renegotiate with them to get them back, or recast.
I'm not ruling out the possibility of Steve being shown the exit - Private Eye said 18 months ago that he was seen as 'a problem' - but he's either running the next season, or they're holding back the announcement of his already decided departure till it can be presented as a triumphal exit in November, or there'll be nothing on air between the 2013 Christmas special and, at earliest, the 2014 Christmas special.
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:43 AM   #11
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Wow, that article is making a lot of of nothing. The share is high. The AIs are still high. If they did fire him, it would be for slow script writing, not the reasons they state! Oh, and Smith has said he'll be around for the 8th season.

diankra, Matt Smith himself said that they'd start filming, with him, late this year or early 2014. I'm guessing he'd know. I hope he's right!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 02:25 AM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
I don't know who Stephen Moffat is, or why he deserves a thread. Maybe he's getting sacked from whatever job he has. Steven Moffat, on the other hand, isn't going anywhere.
You beat me to it. But I'll spell it out anyway. Stephen and Steven are two seperate names, although it is acceptable to use the Steve abbreviation for both names. Moffat is Steven, not Stephen.
Old May 18 2013, 02:27 AM   #13
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

The Bells of Saint John - 8.44 million
The Rings of Akhaten - 7.45 million
Cold War - 7.37 million
Hide - 6.61 million
Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS - 6.50 million
The Crimson Horror - 6.47 million

The latest episode has not recieved it's final ratings yet but will be around 6 million at the least.

I player news been released...

Doctor Who was the most requested programme on the BBC iPlayer for April with over 2 million requests for the second episode of 2013, The Rings of Akhaten.
The series opener, The Bells of Saint John, actually had more requests in total, but they were split across two months with 0.96 million accessing the episode in March and an additional 1.3 million in April making the episode 8th for the month..

In April, Doctor Who also took the 4th, 6th and 10th places in the top ten with Cold War having 1.65 million requests, Hide having 1.53 million and Journey to the Centre of the Tardis having 1.19 million requesting the episode in the 4 days it was available.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)

Last edited by Jax; May 18 2013 at 02:45 AM.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 02:48 AM   #14
diankra
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Wow, that article is making a lot of of nothing. The share is high. The AIs are still high. If they did fire him, it would be for slow script writing, not the reasons they state! Oh, and Smith has said he'll be around for the 8th season.

diankra, Matt Smith himself said that they'd start filming, with him, late this year or early 2014. I'm guessing he'd know. I hope he's right!

Mr Awe
Well, obviously Matt doesn't know for sure, or he'd know if it was 2013 or 2014 that he'd be back for next season. But I am assuming he is back for next season, just waiting to hear on shooting dates.
But my point is that if that's the case, then either Moffat is starting work on ideas for next year, or he's finishing work on the Christmas special'll that'll be his farewell, while the BBC settle the detail with a successor wh's already as good as chosen.
My guess is one more year of Matt and Moffat in 2014, but with one of them maybe bowing out in mid-season.
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:00 AM   #15
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Its come to a point where Series 1-4 have very little rewatch value to me because I'm constantly rolling my eyes.
I couldn't even finish Journey's End. Inexcusable.

The current series has its flaws (Rushed endings, no 2-parters, an underdeveloped arc) but it's so far ahead of say, Series 2 that it's unreal.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote